I'm getting distorted audio from headphones and can't figure out why

dHdx

Hello

Recently I bought my first pair of "audiophile" headphones in the form of the Audeze Maxwell. I've been loving it so far, but something strange is happening with it. 

For those who are unaware, this headset has a USB Dongle for low latency wireless audio, Bluetooth on the headset itself and cabled audio via 3.5mm Jack or USB. And it also has an integrated DAC.

If I plug my headset through the USB Dongle SPECIFICALLY on my PC, I get sound distortion on the lower and higher frequency bands. Microphone sounds fine. It's only incoming audio. It sounds like the distortion you'd get if you dialed the volume all the way up on cheap speakers, even though I am not listening at a high volume. ANY other configuration that I've tried does not have this problem, even when I blasted my ears at max volume on those other devices. Cabled USB to the same PC? You got it. Bluetooth through my phone or my Macbook? Awesome. USB Dongle through the Macbook or the phone as well? Also fine. 

So... that leads me to believe that the problem is with my PC, or something related to it, hence the topic of this post. I've tried different solutions with the PC itself, but none have helped: Changed OS to Windows 11. Booted Ubuntu through a live flash drive. Updated BIOS. Reinstalled Chipset Drivers. Disabled XHCI Hand-off on the BIOS. Disabled XMP. Switching USB Ports (3.0 and 2.0 / back AND front panel). Connecting the Dongle through USB Adapters. Disconnecting ALL USB 3.0 devices on the PC when the Dongle was connected. Brought the other devices close to where the PC sits when the headset was connected to them to check if there was wireless interference (there wasn't). Changed Windows sound configs (Sample Rate, Volume, Enhancements...). Updated AND reinstalled the Firmware on the USB Dongle and Headset (though Firmware rollback is not possible).

PC is connected to ethernet cable and does not have integrated Bluetooth or Wi-fi on the Motherboard. It is also properly grounded.

I'd like some input if there is something else that can be done. 

PC Config:

Ryzen 5800X3D
MSI B450 Tomahawk
Corsair Vengeance RAM 2x8GB 3200MHz
Corsair TX650M PSU

Update your video drivers , download any audeze related driver/software needed. When you say hooked up to the dongle is it wired or wireless? Check your audio settings to make sure your at the highest quality output and make sure there are no audio enhancements turned on. 

31 minutes ago, rice guru said:

Update your video drivers , download any audeze related driver/software needed. When you say hooked up to the dongle is it wired or wireless? Check your audio settings to make sure your at the highest quality output and make sure there are no audio enhancements turned on. 

Yes. The Dongle is for wireless audio. Lower latency Bluetooth, from what I hear. But the Headset can also be connected to the PC via USB. I only have issues when my audio source is the USB Dongle connected to my PC. 

I've tried the steps that you described. All Drivers and Firmware are up to date and Windows Audio Enhancements or Sampling rate make no difference.

5 hours ago, dHdx said:

Yes. The Dongle is for wireless audio. Lower latency Bluetooth, from what I hear. But the Headset can also be connected to the PC via USB. I only have issues when my audio source is the USB Dongle connected to my PC. 

I've tried the steps that you described. All Drivers and Firmware are up to date and Windows Audio Enhancements or Sampling rate make no difference.

That's rough. I would try to contact audeze at this point maybe they have a fix as you may not be the only person experiencing this. 

2 hours ago, rice guru said:

That's rough. I would try to contact audeze at this point maybe they have a fix as you may not be the only person experiencing this. 

I've done that. Audeze said that the problem is likely on my end, since it does not present in devices other than my PC, which makes sense. 

The "my end" problem is the part I can't figure out lol

4 hours ago, dHdx said:

I've done that. Audeze said that the problem is likely on my end, since it does not present in devices other than my PC, which makes sense. 

The "my end" problem is the part I can't figure out lol

Damn yeah that is hard. Since your running AMD are your motherboard drivers up to date?

Only idea i have is the USB dongle having some kind of problem, i've never had any issues with my Maxwells so idk what might be the solution

16 minutes ago, rice guru said:

Damn yeah that is hard. Since your running AMD are your motherboard drivers up to date?

Yes. I have updated the Chipset Drivers and the BIOS. Unfortunately I am only able to test 2 different BIOS versions because the 5800X3D is supported for only 2 versions on my old B450 Motherboard, and neither of them solved the problem.

19 minutes ago, Cocococo said:

Only idea i have is the USB dongle having some kind of problem, i've never had any issues with my Maxwells so idk what might be the solution

Yeah, that was my initial (and painful) thought. But... the Wireless Dongle works just fine when plugged in to either my Mac or my phone, so I'm led to believe it's not a problem with the dongle itself.

which motherboard ? psu?

you tried all usb ports front back even try the extra header ones inside on mobo if you can or have them

could just be your mobo has noisy usb or psu maybe?

16 hours ago, dHdx said:

Yeah, that was my initial (and painful) thought. But... the Wireless Dongle works just fine when plugged in to either my Mac or my phone, so I'm led to believe it's not a problem with the dongle itself.

So it looks like your USB port(s?) are the problem, given how no other variable gives repeatable results, i'd recommend asking the PC help sections on how to find and fix power running through your USB ports, it isn't uncommon for small amounts of current running through a PC IO shielding to interfere with audio devices (one of the main reasons i always recommend people with onboard audio distortion to try a cheap USB-C DAC)

30 minutes ago, Cocococo said:

So it looks like your USB port(s?) are the problem, given how no other variable gives repeatable results, i'd recommend asking the PC help sections on how to find and fix power running through your USB ports, it isn't uncommon for small amounts of current running through a PC IO shielding to interfere with audio devices (one of the main reasons i always recommend people with onboard audio distortion to try a cheap USB-C DAC)

1 hour ago, pas008 said:

which motherboard ? psu?

you tried all usb ports front back even try the extra header ones inside on mobo if you can or have them

could just be your mobo has noisy usb or psu maybe?

I use an MSI B450 Tomahawk Mobo and a Corsair TX650M PSU.
I've tried different USB ports both on back and front panel. Some work better than others (namely those that are connected directly to the CPU, bypassing the chipset), but the problem is never fully solved.  I think I understand what you guys mean. So... the Motherboard can have finicky power transmission on its I/O, but... besides grounding or electrical problems coming from power outlets or the PSU... how does one go about chosing a Motherboard that works best for this type of audio device? Is it a thing most common on cheaper Motherboards in general or is it a specific verifiable thing? (e.g like how you can look for which and how many MOSFETS a Motherboard has to determine if it's VRMs are capable or not)

21 hours ago, dHdx said:

I use an MSI B450 Tomahawk Mobo and a Corsair TX650M PSU.
I've tried different USB ports both on back and front panel. Some work better than others (namely those that are connected directly to the CPU, bypassing the chipset), but the problem is never fully solved.  I think I understand what you guys mean. So... the Motherboard can have finicky power transmission on its I/O, but... besides grounding or electrical problems coming from power outlets or the PSU... how does one go about chosing a Motherboard that works best for this type of audio device? Is it a thing most common on cheaper Motherboards in general or is it a specific verifiable thing? (e.g like how you can look for which and how many MOSFETS a Motherboard has to determine if it's VRMs are capable or not)

Yeah go start a thread in one of the PC help channels, list out the troubleshooting you've gone through and someone better experienced with PC's can help you out.