why is XMP greyed out on my motherboard bios?

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
8 minutes ago, dreamcast4599 said:

@RONOTHAN## can you clarify im a bit confused on what you mean

XMP is a memory overclock, and in order to be overclocked there must be something that is a base clock. Those base values are referred to as JEDEC values, as JEDEC is the organization that creates the DDR standards. That memory kit only has programmed onto it those base JEDEC values, in this case 1600 CL10, so that's what it will run at no matter what, whether XMP is enabled or disabled. 

8 minutes ago, dreamcast4599 said:

@RONOTHAN## can you clarify im a bit confused on what you mean

XMP is a memory overclock, and in order to be overclocked there must be something that is a base clock. Those base values are referred to as JEDEC values, as JEDEC is the organization that creates the DDR standards. That memory kit only has programmed onto it those base JEDEC values, in this case 1600 CL10, so that's what it will run at no matter what, whether XMP is enabled or disabled. 

@RONOTHAN## odd i thought for ddr3 at least to reach 1600mhz you needed xmp on my ddr4 sticks to hit 32000mhz i would need to enable the 25600 XMP profile i guess i thought all DDR3 sticks had an XMP profile oh well at least my ram runs at it's advertised speed

1 minute ago, dreamcast4599 said:

you needed xmp on my ddr4 sticks to hit 32000mhz

There is actually a 3200MT/s JEDEC standard as well for DDR4, so there are some kits that exist that you don't need to enable XMP to get to 3200. It's very uncommon outside of servers and laptops, but it does exist and it is used. 

1 minute ago, dreamcast4599 said:

odd i thought for ddr3 at least to reach 1600mhz

Usually you do. Most kits I've used have only had up to 1333MT/s for their JEDEC configurations, but there are newer kits like the one you have that use the 1600MT/s JEDEC configuration, and yours just seems to use it exclusively. 

@RONOTHAN## thats good info thank you i built this i7 4790 non k gaming system for fun and this was the fastest memory i could find