Is the TP-Link CPE210 the most reasonable PTP for 200m through a gap in a forest?

There's a decent line of sight gap in the forest, about 200m from mounting positions, with very low brush coverage that won't be expected to obstruct it. Semi-rural, so not really worried about interference. 

I found this article:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/08/point-to-point-wi-fi-bridging-between-buildings-the-cheap-and-easy-way/

and am leaning towards a pair of CPE210 because it'll be <$120 total shipped, and comes with the PoE injectors. 

https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/outdoor-radio/cpe210/#specifications

But they're a few years old - is there a 

Only aiming for 50Mbps - this is upgrading a 6Mbps connection that runs from a neighbours property who is refusing to allow an upgrade to run on the same poles.

The receiver will be out in the open, and this is in the rainforest in BC. I have no idea if IPX5 is sufficient.

This is an install for a friend who is not technically inclined, so reliability and cost are the most important factors.

Any suggestions for mounting brackets that will make it easy to aim? The transmitter will be about 20m above the receiver so we'll have to aim them at an angle.  

I'm a shill for ubiquiti gear, it just works usually, but anything should work.
the ones you linked are ancient 2.4ghz units that are really mid these days, you want something at least 5ghz ac.

200m is not a long distance at all, are you sure about the distance?
Regardless of distance, you can come to expect problems from not having proper clearances, but like 200m is basically nothing.
your fresnel clearance is 1.6 meters for that distance on 5.8ghz. that means for perfect signal there cant be anything but air in an 80cm radius from the centerpoint line between each antenna.

2 hours ago, OhYou_ said:

the ones you linked are ancient 2.4ghz units that are really mid these days, you want something at least 5ghz ac.

If there isn’t any significant 2.4GHz interference nearby (especially in a forest) and only looking to maintain about a 50Mbps link, 2.4GHz PtP antennae might just work. While I do agree with you on a 5GHz setup, 2.4GHz antennae are more forgiving when it comes to precipitation and occasional intervening light vegetation.

2 hours ago, OhYou_ said:

your fresnel clearance is 1.6 meters for that distance on 5.8ghz. that means for perfect signal there cant be anything but air in an 80cm radius from the centerpoint line between each antenna.

@idmb can adjust the height of each antenna’s mount point to clear the vegetation. Pole-mounted on a roof is best, but you have to be wary of lightning strikes.

I have never used TP-Link’s PtP wireless gear, so can’t comment on how well the link will work. But when I used Ubiquiti’s EdgeMax PtP, the built-in signal meter made alignment super easy. Plus, I believe the wireless link used some proprietary technology that made it a little more robust than other manufacturers’ offerings.

37 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

2.4GHz antennae are more forgiving when it comes to precipitation and occasional intervening light vegetation.

lolno the EIRP limit of 2.4 is total garbage, 36dBm. While the 5.8ghz is physically weaker to stuff like that, you are legally allowed an order of magnitude more transmit power, it is far superior as a result. In a large range of bands, you're allowed 53dBm

On 2/14/2024 at 9:17 PM, OhYou_ said:

lolno the EIRP limit of 2.4 is total garbage, 36dBm. While the 5.8ghz is physically weaker to stuff like that, you are legally allowed an order of magnitude more transmit power, it is far superior as a result. In a large range of bands, you're allowed 53dBm

You have a point, and I'm not disagreeing. It's just that a 2.4GHz can work at that distance in wooded areas with decent speeds. 

If the OP has access to 2.4GHz equipment within their budget, then the setup might be practical in this scenario.