PC out to Old 5.1 4K Sony Receiver

Wittwe AB Grw
Go to solution Solved by MarkPol88,
23 hours ago, Wittwe AB Grw said:

Had a oud thought. Could i use the single hdmi on rx 6600 xt to the reciver but still use my displayport to hdmi 2.1 cable for video to the tv?!?

card has 3x displayport 1.4 and 1 HDMI 

That is exactly what I described in this post (and what I am currently running for my PC):

On 2/13/2024 at 11:33 PM, MarkPol88 said:

Problem with that setup is you need to have receiver set as second monitor in Windows. You can position it in such a way that your cursor won't travel to it by accident but it still is bothersome.

To expand on this - you need to have two displays in Windows - one is your TV, other is AV Receiver.

Then you need to tell Windows that Receiver is your primary audio device and everything should work fine.

If you do not want your cursor to get trapped on second screen (which you will not be able to see) you can position screens in such way, that they are not overlapping in any way - as shown on this video (just first find from youtube, not an endorsement):

Remember to order DisplayPort to HDMI adapter that supports HDMI 2.1 - unfortunately I do not use one so I can't recommend specific model.

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2024 at 9:45 AM, MarkPol88 said:

Remember to order DisplayPort to HDMI adapter that supports HDMI 2.1 - unfortunately I do not use one so I can't recommend specific model.

already have one and it doesn’t amazing job

On 2/14/2024 at 2:56 PM, Wittwe AB Grw said:

Yeah, sadly this motherboard does not have toslink ability. It’s only got three audio ports on the 3.5 mm jacks. And then the HDMI on the radeon 6600 xt.

So I’m really kind of not sure if there’s an adapter that I can get to turn the triple 3.5 mm jacks into an RCA system that will be decodable by the Sony receiver.

but yeah, the ideas to hook up my Yamaha 200 W powered subwoofer, as well as my Yamaha satellite speakers to the Sony STR-DN1080 with 4K pass-through. Promise it is such an old style of 4K pass through that it will not include all the HDR goodness. I’m guessing we have to get some speaker wire and some sub signal RCA hook up to the sub. That was kind of hoping to find out if there’s an adapter that will help other than just running dual HDMI cable. So that’s really the situation I’m running into.

If I could just run e-arc or hdmi 2.1 through the dumb receiver and get all the quality out of this 75” 4K HDR10+ TV then it would be so much easier. But yeah, that is one of the things on my list down the road is a nice ER HDMI 2.1 Dolby Atmos receiver.

also found out that my Sony STR-DN1080 was released in 2017, so it’s a bit newer than I thought. But still don’t think it’s compatible with HDR 10+ an HDMI 2.1.

You can buy a little box that will split the Audio off HDMI and output it via spdif, toslink, etc. I have one but ended up not needing it since the new build has optical out for audio.