How do i setup a home network?

YouKnowZampe
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
23 minutes ago, YouKnowZampe said:

I did not even know that existed. I searched for file sharing but did not get it to work, think i enabled it. 

Im stuck at the part where i dont know what to do so i can set it up properly. I want to have a plan so i know what im doing then imma start it up again, reconfig hdds and then try again with the backup/VMs part.

For file sharing in windows you can right click on a folder, then go undering the sharing tab. Then you have a network share of that folder.

I don't know of a specific guide for all of these things, but I'd just start googling how to share folder on windows and there should be lots of guides out there.

Hello! I have an old server that i want to use with a homenetwork. But how do i setup a home network?

i have a router that is connected to the modem and my pc. But how should i link up everything and config? I want to use it as backup for my pc, try to have a gaming server for me and my friends. 

the server is s prolian and idk how to fully reset it so i can access bios and config my hdds 

If you have a router you already have a home network. Just plug it all into the router and use switches as needed for more ports. There are more advanced configs, but thats enough to get you started.

What model hp server?What specs? Did you install a os on it?

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If you have a router you already have a home network. Just plug it all into the router and use switches as needed for more ports. There are more advanced configs, but thats enough to get you started.

What model hp server?What specs? Did you install a os on it?

Im not good at terms xD I meant like my own network in my network with backups and VMs with my server and just connect everything. 

idk its an old one i got while i was with some electricians to see what they did and they did not need it. Its some hp proliant with 2 amd opteron and a few gb ddr3 ram

1 minute ago, YouKnowZampe said:

Im not good at terms xD I meant like my own network in my network with backups and VMs with my server and just connect everything. 

idk its an old one i got while i was with some electricians to see what they did and they did not need it. Its some hp proliant with 2 amd opteron and a few gb ddr3 ram

Physically, just plug the server into the lan ports on your router and you can access it on your computer.

Well your gonna have to put a OS on the server. Then you can setup network shares to store files, and setup vms and access them. 

There are likely some getting started with a server videos on Youtube you might want to take a look at.

If the server has a opteron server, it might be too old to bother with. Opterons are over a decade old now.

32 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Physically, just plug the server into the lan ports on your router and you can access it on your computer.

Well your gonna have to put a OS on the server. Then you can setup network shares to store files, and setup vms and access them. 

There are likely some getting started with a server videos on Youtube you might want to take a look at.

If the server has a opteron server, it might be too old to bother with. Opterons are over a decade old now.

It has windows but i never got file sharing to work and idk how to setup a system for it to make backups of specific folders etc on my main and icloud so i kinda forgot abt it all xD

i cant find a good video that explains how to have a file share/backup server and still usable for VMs.

6 minutes ago, YouKnowZampe said:

It has windows but i never got file sharing to work and idk how to setup a system for it to make backups of specific folders etc on my main and icloud so i kinda forgot abt it all xD

i cant find a good video that explains how to have a file share/backup server and still usable for VMs.

What windows version? Did you do a clean install?

In windows you can setup hyper-v for vms, and make a network share in explorer for nas uses.

17 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What windows version? Did you do a clean install?

In windows you can setup hyper-v for vms, and make a network share in explorer for nas uses.

I dont know. Think it was windows 10 pro. 
Yes clean install. It has linux but nobody had the password for it and the bios so i installed windows, and removed cmos yesterday so i can try to reset hdd settings etc.

Can you send a good video explaining how to do it?

6 hours ago, YouKnowZampe said:

I dont know. Think it was windows 10 pro. 
Yes clean install. It has linux but nobody had the password for it and the bios so i installed windows, and removed cmos yesterday so i can try to reset hdd settings etc.

Can you send a good video explaining how to do it?

Windows 10 should be able to do all of this. Did you enable hyper-v? Can you make a network share?

I don't know of a specific video that covers all of this, but there should be some for creating a network share in windows, and setting up hyper-v

19 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Windows 10 should be able to do all of this. Did you enable hyper-v? Can you make a network share?

I don't know of a specific video that covers all of this, but there should be some for creating a network share in windows, and setting up hyper-v

I did not manage to find good info on how to do all this so i gave up and wanted to try again now. 

7 minutes ago, YouKnowZampe said:

I did not manage to find good info on how to do all this so i gave up and wanted to try again now. 

Did you look up things like how to setup hyper-v on windows or make a network share?

Where are you stuck now?

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Did you look up things like how to setup hyper-v on windows or make a network share?

Where are you stuck now?

I did not even know that existed. I searched for file sharing but did not get it to work, think i enabled it. 

Im stuck at the part where i dont know what to do so i can set it up properly. I want to have a plan so i know what im doing then imma start it up again, reconfig hdds and then try again with the backup/VMs part.

23 minutes ago, YouKnowZampe said:

For file sharing in windows you can right click on a folder, then go undering the sharing tab. Then you have a network share of that folder.

I don't know of a specific guide for all of these things, but I'd just start googling how to share folder on windows and there should be lots of guides out there.