10 gigabit fiber optic providers for private homes in Scandinavia/Northern Europe

kasdashd

Does anyone have experience with 10 gigabit fiber optic providers for private homes in Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden, Norway, or Finland)?

It's just really annoying to me, that you can only get up to 1 gigabit speeds as a private user, when buisnesses can get up to 10 gigabits.

I'd gladly pay 100's of bugs a month for such a fast connection, but if you can't get it, then it doesn't matter of course.

Because it's going to be thousands of dollars a month for business class 10Gb/s internet unless you have an in and know a guy who owns the ISP and is willing to give you a deal.

Also businesses can get 100 to 400Gb/s links as well to Tier 1 providers and Internet Exchanges but you're talking much much much more money and complexity and requirements in terms of equipment/contracts/etc.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On 2/12/2024 at 7:20 PM, kasdashd said:

Does anyone have experience with 10 gigabit fiber optic providers for private homes in Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden, Norway, or Finland)?

It's just really annoying to me, that you can only get up to 1 gigabit speeds as a private user, when buisnesses can get up to 10 gigabits.

I'd gladly pay 100's of bugs a month for such a fast connection, but if you can't get it, then it doesn't matter of course.

because private homes don't need it........ 🤷‍♂️ 

okay okay... well a company usually employs more people or has a service they provide to customers that can utilize the bandwith of 10+GBit links. and if they realy need that speed they are most likely on an exchange access for backbone links. 

why do you need it?... streaming?.. no streaming service need more than 30-60 mbit ... and works on 5mbit or lower.. 

download whatever?... weeelll... internet is a best effort service... even if you have a 10GBit link to internet...  unless you do ca 50 downloads from 50 different services and 500 streaming calls...... maybe you can max it.... but would you be able to do that?.. 

11 hours ago, Robchil said:

because private homes don't need it........ 🤷‍♂️ 

okay okay... well a company usually employs more people or has a service they provide to customers that can utilize the bandwith of 10+GBit links. and if they realy need that speed they are most likely on an exchange access for backbone links. 

why do you need it?... streaming?.. no streaming service need more than 30-60 mbit ... and works on 5mbit or lower.. 

download whatever?... weeelll... internet is a best effort service... even if you have a 10GBit link to internet...  unless you do ca 50 downloads from 50 different services and 500 streaming calls...... maybe you can max it.... but would you be able to do that?.. 

If I reinstall Windows, and have 5+TB of Steam games I wanna download to my 8TB gaming SSD, and don't wanna leave my PC running for days or many hours, cause it's noisy, or if you have a household of 5, or more, people, and you all wanna have at least 1 gigabit available at all times for steam downloads, offline streaming downloads, file backup, downloading additional data for big mobile games, and so on. And it more of a principle matter. If there are private customers willing to pay the money for a private 10 gigabit connection, it should be available, supply and demand, how the free market and much of the world works. It's nice to have, not need to have, as most stuff is these days.

9 minutes ago, kasdashd said:

If I reinstall Windows, and have 5+TB of Steam games I wanna download to my 8TB gaming SSD, and don't wanna leave my PC running for days or many hours, cause it's noisy, or if you have a household of 5, or more, people, and you all wanna have at least 1 gigabit available at all times for steam downloads, offline streaming downloads, file backup, downloading additional data for big mobile games, and so on. And it more of a principle matter. If there are private customers willing to pay the money for a private 10 gigabit connection, it should be available, supply and demand, how the free market and much of the world works. It's nice to have, not need to have, as most stuff is these days.

if it's too noisy to keep running you prioritized wrong.. 😄  build a custom water cooled rig you can't hear.... like mine 😄

and it looks like homenet in norway started delivering 10Gbit two years ago.. https://itavisen.no/2022/03/16/na-kommer-10gb-s-internett-til-norge-og-dette-er-prisen/ 

for 2000nkr.. pr month.. 

i would guess others will start to deliver it too... 

you still won't need that speed 99% of the time... 

On 2/12/2024 at 1:20 PM, kasdashd said:

My advice. You might need to look in to "Business Internet". It will likely cost a ton but if you want 10 Gig that might be the only option. I know ISP's in the US will install business internet at a residence.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

48 minutes ago, Robchil said:

if it's too noisy to keep running you prioritized wrong.. 😄  build a custom water cooled rig you can't hear.... like mine 😄

and it looks like homenet in norway started delivering 10Gbit two years ago.. https://itavisen.no/2022/03/16/na-kommer-10gb-s-internett-til-norge-og-dette-er-prisen/ 

for 2000nkr.. pr month.. 

i would guess others will start to deliver it too... 

you still won't need that speed 99% of the time... 

I don't have the money and time to build a near silent PC, only going for cost benefit performance, which has nothing to do with the subject.

37 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

My advice. You might need to look in to "Business Internet". It will likely cost a ton but if you want 10 Gig that might be the only option. I know ISP's in the US will install business internet at a residence.

Yeah, that's also what I thought. Many people run their own buisnesses or online buisnesses from their home. If you're a video editor for instance, and you're working with very large files, editing directly from a NAS using 10 gigabit network, or just doing loads of other stuff that requires such a connection at home.

15 minutes ago, kasdashd said:

Yeah, that's also what I thought. Many people run their own buisnesses or online buisnesses from their home. If you're a video editor for instance, and you're working with very large files, editing directly from a NAS using 10 gigabit network, or just doing loads of other stuff that requires such a connection at home.

i think most businesses that have 10GB internet link usually have it in a datacenter, where servers and storage are, with a short distance to providers 10Gbit link.  so it is location dependend what speed you can get too. 

and a dark fiber from the datacenter to each location they have workspace, and you can put what you want on that... 8-16 10GB sfp+'s in different colors just to stack up the link with a multiplexer if it's needed and they can afford it.. it's not as expensive now as it was 10 years ago when it cost 1500$ for 1 10GB SFP+...  

I don't know what's the limit now but plenty deliver 40Gbit link's that i've seen. 

A private link would always be best effort... the more on 10Gbit in your area the lower the speed will be in the end. they only have a certain bandwidth on the backbone...