International PSU question

tripl3a
Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,
5 minutes ago, tripl3a said:

1. Can I use my US PSU as long as I swap the universal power cable from a 3 pin to a 2 pin?

Depends on the PSU. Many modern PSUs can accept a range of input voltages e.g. 100v-240v. We'd need to know the exact model of the PSU to make sure. It should have a sticker. Take a look at it and/or post a picture of it, if you're unsure what all of it means.

2. Even if I buy a brand new power supply in japan, would my other US components be safe to use with it? (like is there like some international standard for computers that makes that possible?)

Yes. The operating voltages inside a computer are standardized, they are not US/Japan specific.

Hi, I have a pretty important question.

So I currently live in the US, and I've built my own PC here. I'm also conveniently moving to japan in a couple months. Two big questions:

1. Can I use my US PSU as long as I swap the universal power cable from a 3 pin to a 2 pin?

(some context: japan has 100v, 50hz. Typically uses 2 pin ports without ground. If it does have ground, then it's often a separate wire.)

2. Even if I buy a brand new power supply in japan, would my other US components be safe to use with it? (like is there like some international standard for computers that makes that possible?)

Depends on the PSU. Many modern PSUs can accept a range of input voltages e.g. 100v-240v. We'd need to know the exact model of the PSU to make sure. It should have a sticker. Take a look at it and/or post a picture of it, if you're unsure what all of it means.

Yes. The operating voltages inside a computer are standardized, they are not US/Japan specific.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Check the label on your power supply. It should say something like "100-250v 50/60hz". If it does, it's a global power supply designed to work worldwide.

If you buy an ATX power supply when you're there, you can use it with parts you bought in the US. All the internal voltages and pinouts are standardized for ATX worldwide.

Leaving ground disconnected isn't ideal, but it should be fine. Check the plugs for a grounding screw you can attach a wire with a "pitchfork" spade connector onto.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

6 minutes ago, tripl3a said:

Can I use my US PSU as long as I swap the universal power cable from a 3 pin to a 2 pin?

Depends on the PSU. The answer is usually yes, but some of the exceptionally bad units will have issues. 

japan has 100v, 50hz

*half of Japan is 50Hz, the western half is 60Hz like North America. It is all 100V though. 

Even if I buy a brand new power supply in japan, would my other US components be safe to use with it? (like is there like some international standard for computers that makes that possible?)

As long as it's ATX compatible, yes. The entire point of the power supply is to convert from whatever AC voltage you're using to 12V/5V/3.3V DC. ATX is just the standard pinout and size. 

Modern computer power supplies work with wide input range, something like 90v AC to 250v AC  - it will say on the label how wide the input voltage it supports.

You should buy the proper AC power cable from Japan as soon as you get there - in the meantime, maybe you can use Japan-US socket adapters.

Here's example of AC cable on Amazon Japan : https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/INEX-ACP-HC18B-Compatible-Power-Cable/dp/B0BSKH77N8/

Here's another : https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/BUFFALO-BSACC0620GYA-Power-Socket-Female/dp/B014GLJIY2/

The computer power cables are standardized, the plug that goes into the power supply is called IEC C13

Alternatively to single AC cables, get a power strip with grounding like this one : https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/T-T1A-3625WH/dp/B011WD8MCG/

The sockets I think are compatible with the US plugs so you'd be able to reuse the power cables from computer, monitor, speakers etc.

You should always connect a computer to a grounded outlet - the grounding wire is important for power supplies, it's used for both protection AND to reduce electric radiation that could otherwise affect electronics around the computer like AM radios, baby monitors etc

2 hours ago, mariushm said:

Modern computer power supplies work with wide input range, something like 90v AC to 250v AC  - it will say on the label how wide the input voltage it supports.

You should buy the proper AC power cable from Japan as soon as you get there - in the meantime, maybe you can use Japan-US socket adapters.

Here's example of AC cable on Amazon Japan : https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/INEX-ACP-HC18B-Compatible-Power-Cable/dp/B0BSKH77N8/

Here's another : https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/BUFFALO-BSACC0620GYA-Power-Socket-Female/dp/B014GLJIY2/

The computer power cables are standardized, the plug that goes into the power supply is called IEC C13

Alternatively to single AC cables, get a power strip with grounding like this one : https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/T-T1A-3625WH/dp/B011WD8MCG/

The sockets I think are compatible with the US plugs so you'd be able to reuse the power cables from computer, monitor, speakers etc.

You should always connect a computer to a grounded outlet - the grounding wire is important for power supplies, it's used for both protection AND to reduce electric radiation that could otherwise affect electronics around the computer like AM radios, baby monitors etc

so... I can just replace the cable on the PSU for like one of the one you liked and I'm all good?

2 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

thanks for the info. I have an rm750e by Corsair, it supports 100-200V, 47-63hz. I'm guessing from what you said that it's fine to use the power supply as long as I have a japanese cable to connect the PSU to the outlet like this one

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/BUFFALO-BSACC0620GYA-Power-Socket-Female/dp/B014GLJIY2/

Also, what do I do with the ground cable bit? do I just leave it dangling?