Setting up WiFi on pc

Anderson welch
Go to solution Solved by Nuzicx,

MHF connector, You'd need its measurement to find out what one

I am setting up WiFi on my pc and need an antenna and cable to connect the wifi card to the antenna. If anyone has suggestions it would be greatly appreciated 

Typically you just screw the antenna directly onto the card. Are you sure you need a cable? Can we get the model of WiFi card?

Just now, whispous said:

Typically you just screw the antenna directly onto the card. Are you sure you need a cable? Can we get the model of WiFi card?

The motherboard does not come with WiFi built in I added one myself and need suggestions for the cable to connect it to the antenna 

Just now, Anderson welch said:

The motherboard does not come with WiFi built in I added one myself and need suggestions for the cable to connect it to the antenna 

Cool,

2 minutes ago, Anderson welch said:

This is the card. I need a cable to connect to that.

image.jpg

3 minutes ago, whispous said:

Cool,

5 minutes ago, whispous said:

Cool,

I posted a picture of the card on this thread

5 minutes ago, Anderson welch said:

This is the card. I need a cable to connect to that.

image.jpg

That is a M.2 WIFi card generally use in Laptops or on motherboards with built in WiFi. Im assuming you have a Desktop, which would either need an adapter that allows you to plug that card in to a PCIe slot, these adapters should have a way to connect an antenna. OR you need a PCIe WIFi card.

Heres an example of an adapter: https://www.amazon.com/MZHOU-Converter-Dual-Band-Bluetooth-Including/dp/B0882Z3MKL?th=1

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

That is a M.2 WIFi card generally use in Laptops or on motherboards with built in WiFi. Im assuming you have a Desktop, which would either need an adapter that allows you to plug that card in to a PCIe slot, these adapters should have a way to connect an antenna. OR you need a PCIe WIFi card.

Heres an example of an adapter: https://www.amazon.com/MZHOU-Converter-Dual-Band-Bluetooth-Including/dp/B0882Z3MKL?th=1

Thank you. Just what I needed

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Is the usb header on the card just for additional power

2 minutes ago, Anderson welch said:

Is the usb header on the card just you additional power

It's for bluetooth support. If you don't want/care about it you can ignore it/not plug it in.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

15 minutes ago, Anderson welch said:

I posted a picture of the card on this thread

This is why it's important to answer the questions and provide detail. You have an unusual choice of WiFi card for a desktop computer.

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

It's for bluetooth support. If you don't want/care about it you can ignore it/not plug it in.

Bluetooth is the whole reason I want the card. If there are simpler ways of doing this that only  give Bluetooth please let me know

1 minute ago, whispous said:

This is why it's important to answer the questions and provide detail. You have an unusual choice of WiFi card for a desktop computer.

I scrapped it from a laptop

1 minute ago, Anderson welch said:

Bluetooth is the whole reason I want the card. If there are simpler ways of doing this that only  give Bluetooth please let me know

Yes, buy a $10 USB bluetooth adapter.

1 minute ago, Anderson welch said:

Yeah, there are USB bluetooth adapters. Which would be easier as you just plug that bad boy in to a USB port on your PC.

Just now, Donut417 said:

Yeah, there are USB bluetooth adapters. Which would be easier as you just plug that bad boy in to a USB port on your PC.

But are they still fast

8 minutes ago, Anderson welch said:

But are they still fast

I mean regardless if you use an Internal card or a USB adapter they are both connected via USB. Also Bluetooth really isnt about speed, most of us use Bluetooth for controllers, keyboards, mice and audio and that doesn't really require "Speed".

What are you using Bluetooth for?

The answer to PC cooling is aircon. RGB sucks. Have you tried turning it off and on again

Adv Dip Computer Engineering  |  CCNA  |  ITIL  |  macOS Support Essentials  |  Security + |  Internal Cabling License  |  SAA-C03  |  RHCSA (studying)

Level 2 Support full admin AD  |  IBM Server Build Technician  |  Various IT consulting work

The Hermit Build

On 2/11/2024 at 7:31 AM, Nuzicx said:

Thank you. Any suggestions for what kind of antenna to get?