HP Elitedesk 705 G5 SFF

Hello,

I own an HP EliteDesk 705 G5 SFF PC with the following specifications:

- Ryzen 5 3400G
- 1TB WD Green SSD
- 16GB RAM
- RX6400 GPU
- ChimeraOS

I'm curious to know if anyone has successfully upgraded the CPU. I know there's a list of compatible CPUs such as the Ryzen 5 Pro 3600, and I'm aware that I'd be limited to the Ryzen 3000 series, which is acceptable. However, I'm unable to find clear information confirming whether I can simply use a regular Ryzen 5 3600 or if I need the Pro version for compatibility.

Unfortunately, there's no option in the BIOS to disable integrated graphics. Some HP support forums suggest it's an automatic switch when upgrading to a CPU that lacks an iGPU. However, I've encountered conflicting information, with some sources claiming it works seamlessly while others suggest being stuck with the original CPU.

Does anyone know if this upgrade should work? Better yet, has anyone attempted it on this specific PC and achieved success?

The 3600 should work as the pro is just a oem 3600.

The board seems to be used in a couple hps with and without an igpu so should be good to go not having a igpu

I am pretty sure that as long as the cpu fits in the socket and is compatible with the motherboard chipset, then it should work fine, However, I am not sure if the chipset supports non pro cpus. On the HP website, it says that it is compatible with pro processors. Based off of this, I think that only pro processors are compatible. You could try to install a non pro processor, but I don't think it is worth the risk. I'm not an expert on motherboard chipsets, so maybe wait for someone else to clarify. Also, HP has set a tdp limit of 65 watts, so technically it may work, as the r5 3600 is under that limit, but you definitely won't be installing a r9 3900x. Also, there is no switch for integrated graphics. If you plug the hdmi or whatever you use into the motherboard, it will always use the integrated graphics, not the gpu. You have to plug the video cable into the gpu itself in order to use gpu graphics. So you won't have to buy a non-integrated cpu in order to use a dedicated gpu. I think the reason the desktop only uses integrated graphics is because the power supply is only 160 watts, so HP never expected for someone to put a gpu in it, other than a low profile one, such as your rx 6400. 

So that may be why the hp website says that only pro cpus are compatible. Pro cpus are Apus with integrated graphics. You may be able to upgrade to a non-pro cpu as long as you have a dedicated graphics card.

On 2/10/2024 at 11:53 AM, jaslion said:

The 3600 should work as the pro is just a oem 3600.

The board seems to be used in a couple hps with and without an igpu so should be good to go not having a igpu

On 2/10/2024 at 11:58 AM, ulookuglynoob said:

I am pretty sure that as long as the cpu fits in the socket and is compatible with the motherboard chipset, then it should work fine, However, I am not sure if the chipset supports non pro cpus. On the HP website, it says that it is compatible with pro processors. Based off of this, I think that only pro processors are compatible. You could try to install a non pro processor, but I don't think it is worth the risk. I'm not an expert on motherboard chipsets, so maybe wait for someone else to clarify. Also, HP has set a tdp limit of 65 watts, so technically it may work, as the r5 3600 is under that limit, but you definitely won't be installing a r9 3900x. Also, there is no switch for integrated graphics. If you plug the hdmi or whatever you use into the motherboard, it will always use the integrated graphics, not the gpu. You have to plug the video cable into the gpu itself in order to use gpu graphics. So you won't have to buy a non-integrated cpu in order to use a dedicated gpu. I think the reason the desktop only uses integrated graphics is because the power supply is only 160 watts, so HP never expected for someone to put a gpu in it, other than a low profile one, such as your rx 6400. 

I came across a Ryzen 5 3600 (non-Pro) processor, which I thought I could use in another system if it didn't work in the HP. So, I decided to give it a try. Unfortunately, it didn't end up working. When I powered on the system, nothing appeared on the display, and there were no BIOS beeps to indicate a problem. Pressing enter or escape didn't initiate any further actions.

With the 3400G,  It doesn't switch to discrete graphics until after it posts. This made me suspicious that something might be posting and requiring me to enter a code to acknowledge the hardware change. However, since the PC won't switch to the discrete graphics card until after it posts, I can't see any prompts or codes. HP has a system in the BIOs that prevents major hardware changes without user acknowledgment and requires entering a 4-digit code. Despite attempting to disable this feature in the BIOS, it seems that it doesn't disable.

So not sure if anyone has anything else to try or attempt. At the end of the day, it is what is and I'm going to use the Ryzen 5 3600 for another project. 

Thank you