Why the Hell I can't Install an OS on My Old Dell Laptop

Whenever I try to install Windows on my old Dell Inspiron 15, it just does not, I always use a USB flash drive and whenever I select the USB from the boot options it just stays still and then a pixilated border forms around the screen and if I press any key it just reboots, I also tried installing ubuntu on it and after selecting the USB from the boot options it took me to the "Grub Rescue" (and I don't know how to use grub rescue). The BIOS still works and functions properly but I have been unable to install any OS on this Laptop for about 6 months now and don't want to throw it away. Help!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, whispous said:

What laptop is it, and what Windows version is it

It is an old Dell Inspiron 15 3521 and I tried installing Windows  10, 8.1, 7  and Ubuntu 22.04.3

Edited by Prakhar Tripathi

18 minutes ago, Prakhar Tripathi said:

It is an old Dell Inspiron 15 3521 and I tried installing Windows  10, 8.1, 7  and Ubuntu 22.04.3

How old? What CPU?

2 minutes ago, whispous said:

How old? What CPU?

2013, i3 3rd gen

38 minutes ago, Prakhar Tripathi said:

Whenever I try to install Windows on my old Dell Inspiron 15, it just does not, I always use a USB flash drive and whenever I select the USB from the boot options it just stays still and then a pixilated border forms around the screen and if I press any key it just reboots, I also tried installing ubuntu on it and after selecting the USB from the boot options it took me to the "Grub Rescue" (and I don't know how to use grub rescue). The BIOS still works and functions properly but I have been unable to install any OS on this Laptop for about 6 months now and don't want to throw it away. Help!!!!!!

Does the BIOS have any options for boot mode?  If its old enough, it might be legacy boot only, or need switching into UEFI.

I'm not sure how current Linux distros handle legacy boot, its obviously trying something if it gets to GRUB recovery.

I've also found some BIOS have quirks where it will show more than one boot option for a USB stick, where one will work and the other does not.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Some older systems don't like booting from a usb 3.0 flash drive. Do you have a 2.0?

3 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Does the BIOS have any options for boot mode?  If its old enough, it might be legacy boot only, or need switching into UEFI.

I'm not sure how current Linux distros handle legacy boot, its obviously trying something if it gets to GRUB recovery.

I've also found some BIOS have quirks where it will show more than one boot option for a USB stick, where one will work and the other does not.

Yes, the BIOS supports UEFI and it does give you the option to choose devices to boot from, mine is only showing one USB stick which I plugged in.

5 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

Some older systems don't like booting from a usb 3.0 flash drive. Do you have a 2.0?

tried that did not work

this laptop does not even have a USB 3.0 port... lol

Just now, Prakhar Tripathi said:

tried that did not work

this laptop does not even have a USB 3.0 port... lol

Has nothing to do with the port. Some usb drives just simply do not work on some systems. Had a corporate mini machine I repurposed into a server that simply just refused to work with any USB drive I had besides an old 8 GB HP drive.

• 1 month later...
Computers sometimes make mistakes in actions they perform.
Sometimes just using a different USB, or rewriting the iso to the USB can solve the problem.

The most reliable method to write bootable Linux USBs is to use the following command from a BSD or Linux system. (with root privileges)
dd bs=4M if=path/to/archlinux-version-x86_64.iso of=/dev/disk/by-id/usb-My_flash_drive conv=fsync oflag=direct status=progress

If you use Windows, balenaEtcher is the safest option. https://etcher.balena.io/

OS: FreeBSD 13.3  WM: bspwm  Hardware: Intel 12600KF -- Kingston dual-channel CL36 @6200 -- Sapphire RX 7600 -- BIOSTAR B760MZ-E PRO -- Antec P6 -- Xilence XP550 -- ARCTIC i35 -- EVO 850 500GB