The biggest issues with Mac gaming

The Mac platform has seen several AAA ports last year, but the potential of those ports is still to be seen, cause of some severe issues in the Mac gaming ecosystem:

1. All these AAA ports are being released through the Apple app store, which is full of technical issues, has very slow download speeds, you can't pause downloads, and the layout of the store is not very gaming oriented.

2. Also, you should technically be able to play all iOS games on Mac, but this is far from the case right now.

3. You also cannot buy a game once on 1 Apple device, and then play them on all your other Apple devices, syncing your progress accross devices.

4. Instead of Apple only releasing these games on the Apple app store, they should release them on as many app stores as possible, until they've fixed their own app store, and Mac gaming has surpassed Windows in terms of gaming marketshare.

There are of course many more issues, which I hope you will all mention below. But instead of just mentioning these issues in this closed forum for like minded people, share these issues online, send them as feedback to Apple, and if anybody knows people working at Apple, make sure to give them this information, as just talking about the issues we all know about doesn't change anything.

Metal is one of the issues, why not just support Vulkan like everybody else ?

R9 5900X, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240, Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2, 2x16GB Kingston FuryX 3800MHZ CL18 Hynix DJR "Tuned" , Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC, Windows 11

wish Mac gaming was as good as it is now, back when I used Macs in the late 90s.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I would love to see Valve come out with something Proton-esque so that more Steam games would work on it. I know it probably won't happen but I'm going to keep my hopes up.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

2 hours ago, flibberdipper said:

I would love to see Valve come out with something Proton-esque so that more Steam games would work on it. I know it probably won't happen but I'm going to keep my hopes up.

I don't see what incentive valve would have to do this. Mac gaming market is incredibly small to put the effort in, while Proton for Linux directly benefits their ecosystem with the Steamdeck.

16 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

I don't see what incentive valve would have to do this. Mac gaming market is incredibly small to put the effort in, while Proton for Linux directly benefits their ecosystem with the Steamdeck.

I never said it makes sense for them to do so, I said it would be nice to see. No matter how you split it, modern Macs kinda fuck for gaming (ignoring how hilariously cost prohibitive it is for RAM upgrades), and I know a fair few people in my own personal life that would 100% go Mac-only if our favorite games at least worked on our Macs. Obviously a small sample size, but I'm sure it is a fairly common theme since they're getting reeeeeal good again.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

3 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

I never said it makes sense for them to do so, I said it would be nice to see. No matter how you split it, modern Macs kinda fuck for gaming (ignoring how hilariously cost prohibitive it is for RAM upgrades), and I know a fair few people in my own personal life that would 100% go Mac-only if our favorite games at least worked on our Macs. Obviously a small sample size, but I'm sure it is a fairly common theme since they're getting reeeeeal good again.

Apple silicon is cool from a performance per watt perspective I guess, but they're nothing that wild. But then again I'm not one to care about mobile gaming so what do I know. At the end of the day this is Tim Apple's issue and nobody else's. Apple heavily supported Vulkan's creation but doesn't use it?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2024 at 6:24 AM, flibberdipper said:

Apple beat you to the punch. 

There's an Apple-made version of Wine/Proton in the Game Porting Kit. One of the devs behind [a switch emulator] has released Whiskey, a wrapper around the Wine environment that Apple built: https://getwhisky.app/

It's pretty good. I stopped using the "real" macos install of Steam and just run it on top of the GPK.

On 2/10/2024 at 6:24 AM, flibberdipper said:

Apple has something like that called the crappy rosetta compatibility layer

On 2/10/2024 at 5:20 AM, kasdashd said:

4. Instead of Apple only releasing these games on the Apple app store,

Close ecosystem, apple being apple...

The most viable way to game on MacOs would be to make a windows VM and use a Egpu as the one for the passthrough.