Windows S mode

OmyWomy

I was just asked if i could take a look at some laptops for my wife's co-worker... and noticed all this windows S mode everywhere. My little bit of research makes me think you should stay away from it. However if you can get a cheaper system with it and then install a none S windows for cheaper then buying the same specs with non s windows is that doable? or is there some weird hardware lock?

Would love other peoples input on it and if my instincts are correct. 

Windows S is Windows Home, but locked down so only applications from the Windows Store can be installed. You cannot run .exe, .msi, etc.. It is a version of Windows good for children or tech illiterate.

Windows S can be freely changed from S -> Home with no additional change. There is no hardware or software lock. That said, obviously do not change someone else's computer from S -> Home. As far as I am aware, the change can not be undone. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

12 minutes ago, Skipple said:

That said, obviously do not change someone else's computer from S -> Home. As far as I am aware, the change can not be undone. 

I believe this to be true. When I bought my laptop, it was preconfigured to Windows S, and when I switched it to the full version, I was given the warning that the change was permanent.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Windows S mode isn't a hardware lock or anything. You can switch it from S mode to standard Windows Home through the Microsoft Store. Just search Switch out of S mode in the start menu or Windows Store. It does heavily restrict the computer to where it is only able to use/install Microsoft/ MS Approved applications through the Windows Store. 

You do not need to fresh install Windows in order to switch it. In fact most fresh installs will automatically put S mode back on the system if it wasn't manually switched out before hand.

Typically the computers running S mode are on the cheaper side or are computers that are purchased primarily for children/schools or businesses for basic functionality. Most regular people that buy a laptop and do not know it is in S mode simply bought a cheaper option or wanted to save some money most likely not knowing it was configured that way.

Unless it is required by the company or the person wants to use S mode I typically do the switch to regular Windows Home.

If the person is having you look at the computers and their problems are due to them being in S mode, then I would suggest switching it. It's a very simple process it just requires signing into the Microsoft Store. Also keep in mind the switch is permanent.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |