Looking for server reccomendations?

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

Ive used a few synology NAS units, and they generally work pretty well, and are plug and play. If you don't want to diy there a pretty good option, but the CPU and RAM is limited, so don't expect to be running many VMs.

I'm new to servers, so I'm looking for recommendations that would fulfill my purposes. I'm trying to use the NAS for file storage, virtualizing OSs, and hosting a media server like Plex. I was thinking of getting a 4-bay server and filling 2 slots with 16TB 7200RPM drives so I have both adequate size and future upgradeability. It's also not required, but being able to have an NVMe drive as a cache would definitely be nice. I have heard that the DS923+ is a solid option but If anybody knows of any systems as well as drive options that would work well for my purposes i'd appreciate the advice.

Ive used a few synology NAS units, and they generally work pretty well, and are plug and play. If you don't want to diy there a pretty good option, but the CPU and RAM is limited, so don't expect to be running many VMs.

Are you looking for a off the shelf NAS or looking to build your own system?

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

On 2/12/2024 at 7:27 AM, unijab said:

Are you looking for a off the shelf NAS or looking to build your own system?

Off the shelf, while I could build my own NAS, I have a bad habit of only buying the highest-end stuff, even though I'll never use it to it's maximum potential so I'd rather get one that suits my needs already.