Strange Ethernet Behavour (Internet good then bad all of a sudden)

Fascinated Viewer

I got my new laptop recently, but the network on it has been acting strangely.

I will stream on the network and play games, but after I launch a different game like Halo Infinite, it goes into bad internet mode, and I get 10 Mbps. (It doesn`t always happen in games)

I have no idea why this is happening, and I have uninstalled and reinstalled the network driver for the LAN.

Lenovo has some network thing that somewhat appears to fix the issue, but not always. When I turn off auto wifi recovery and click Diagnose and fix, it says there is an issue with IP duplication. The network is an open one and belongs to the landlord.

I do not fully understand what causes the internet to go so bad. I've only had this issue with my laptop and not any other device.

image.png.2cd1abdbf2bce0edc77b6131de609505.pngimage.png.a6464c7d42886b412ec05c3e695aa6a2.png

image.png.beba40b459ec8d9eac91df8d99f5be8a.pngimage.thumb.png.3612e3a6db707d7e36c10847682b2ee4.png

Try this for me:

(assuming you're on Windows 11)

When your internet is acting fast, open Settings > Network & Internet > Wifi > [wifi name] Properties. Scroll down to where it says "Network Band" and see what it says.

Do the same thing again when your starts acting slow.

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

19 hours ago, GoStormPlays said:

Try this for me:

(assuming you're on Windows 11)

When your internet is acting fast, open Settings > Network & Internet > Wifi > [wifi name] Properties. Scroll down to where it says "Network Band" and see what it says.

Do the same thing again when your starts acting slow.

I have checked this. It is on 5 GHz for when it's good and bad.

I have noticed that my internet has gone bad when I've quit a game. (Broken arrow in this case) The speed test won't even finish and is stuck at download.

When I Restart my system, it then fixes itself.

image.png.bf609fb23b5044f3d255129e853df37f.png

image.png.e096b49be890b5fb36ff11e5e195bdb3.png

2 minutes ago, Fascinated Viewer said:

I have noticed that my internet has gone bad when I've quit a game. (Broken arrow in this case) The speed test won't even finish and is stuck at download.

I have also noticed this too I do not have any organization assigned to this laptop no I have no idea why this is showing up

Screenshot 2024-02-09 111818.png

2 hours ago, Fascinated Viewer said:

Interesting. Have you tried using an external Wi-Fi adapter to see if it’s a problem with the Wi-Fi adapter in your laptop?

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

1 hour ago, GoStormPlays said:

Interesting. Have you tried using an external Wi-Fi adapter to see if it’s a problem with the Wi-Fi adapter in your laptop?

So in case it was Windows (which it appears it was) I reinstalled to OS and am not getting this issue when I exit games. I'll see what happens over the coming days.

Do you have any devices with static addresses? That first error says there's an address conflict, which shouldn't happen if everything's on DHCP with no address reservations.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

24 minutes ago, Fascinated Viewer said:

So in case it was Windows (which it appears it was) I reinstalled to OS and am not getting this issue when I exit games. I'll see what happens over the coming days.

After you reinstalled, did you still have all the apps from the manufacturer that came with your PC?

18 hours ago, GoStormPlays said:

After you reinstalled, did you still have all the apps from the manufacturer that came with your PC?

No, it didn't. I used the ISO file from Microsoft's website. The organisation issue I was also having has gone away, too, so I am not sure if it was just a bug.

I'll see how the system behaves in the coming days.

I did reinstall Lenovo Vantage because that appears to be the most useful in OCing and adds extra functionality.

18 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Do you have any devices with static addresses? That first error says there's an address conflict, which shouldn't happen if everything's on DHCP with no address reservations.

Everything in the wifi settings in Win 11 is set to auto-DHCP

53 minutes ago, Fascinated Viewer said:

Everything in the wifi settings in Win 11 is set to auto-DHCP

What about the other devices on your network?

You could have something set with a static address inside your router's DHCP scope that the router didn't assign, so if your laptop gets that address and the other device lights up, you've got an address conflict.

28 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

What about the other devices on your network?

You could have something set with a static address inside your router's DHCP scope that the router didn't assign, so if your laptop gets that address and the other device lights up, you've got an address conflict.

I have no idea I have no control over that system that belongs to the landlord since the building I live in is for 100s of people, is an open network for residents and has multiple access points. I only have access through an online portal to assign devices via a Mac address.

7 minutes ago, Fascinated Viewer said:

I have no idea I have no control over that system that belongs to the landlord since the building I live in is for 100s of people, is an open network for residents and has multiple access points. I only have access through an online portal to assign devices via a Mac address.

Maybe someone else in the building did.

Next time you get that "IP address conflict" error, run these commands in a command prompt to (hopefully) get a new address from the router:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew