malware/virus in peripheral

overkill84

what is the odd of virus or malware getting into keyboard/mouse/webcam/vr headset/controller? I know the odd of it being inside motherboard bios are pertty low bit what about other? if I'm being paranoid should I just buy all new ones when I format c drive or get a fresh clean drive and lock all drives away for few years when scanners are good enough to find all today malware/virus?

5 hours ago, overkill84 said:

what is the odd of virus or malware getting into keyboard/mouse/webcam/vr headset/controller? I know the odd of it being inside motherboard bios are pertty low bit what about other? if I'm being paranoid should I just buy all new ones when I format c drive or get a fresh clean drive and lock all drives away for few years when scanners are good enough to find all today malware/virus?

In theory, everything with some form of memory can be injected with malicious code. In theory.

Just use Microsoft security for everyday use and malwarebytes free scanner for a second option. There's also a offline scanner in windows security.  

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

9 hours ago, overkill84 said:

what is the odd of virus or malware getting into keyboard/mouse/webcam/vr headset/controller?

Extremely remote. "You have better odds of winning the lottery jackpot" remote.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

11 hours ago, overkill84 said:

Unless you're working with super critical data (ex. Govt classified stuff, nuclear testing facility, things like that) it's very unlikely. There's not anything worth that effort to figure out how to inject malware into a peripheral on a personal use computer. If they wanted a credit card number, or your SSN, or whatever else, it's easier to just create malware that just sits on your computer, versus on something like a keyboard.

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

12 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Extremely remote. "You have better odds of winning the lottery jackpot" remote.

I feel like I remember recently of some peripheral being taken off Amazon for malware lol. There was also those weird emulation consoles that had built in malware in their filesystems. But of course that's buying sketchy stuff from sketchy sellers/bad actors.