homelab/gaming "Server" choosing an OS reccomendations.

Hello!
I have built a computer using parts that were given to me, It is my second PC and I would like to use it as a homelab as well as have it be able to play games occasionally when friends are over. Some of the things I want to do with the home lab are, run a NAS, run game servers, Have a repository of my blu-rays and dvds, as well as some music.
I have briefly used plex and I think I want to try another solution.
I am wondering about using docker to create a temporary environment to play games so I can easily open and close it when needed?

Any advice or thoughts are welcome. I am mainly looking for what Operating system to use as a base to do all of these things. Thank you!

Specs: threadripper 1900x, 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws ddr4 2400, EVGA! 1080FTW, X399 Taichi, SilverStone StriderGold 1200W gold

This can be done with many different OSes, but here is probably what I'd do

Run windows on this host. This gives you the best game compatibility and allow anti cheat software to work.

Then use hyper-v for vms, and storage spaces for raid. Then make a network share using the built in SMB sharing in windows.

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

This can be done with many different OSes, but here is probably what I'd do

Run windows on this host. This gives you the best game compatibility and allow anti cheat software to work.

Then use hyper-v for vms, and storage spaces for raid. Then make a network share using the built in SMB sharing in windows.

I agree with this. I wouldn't recommend storage spaces for raid though. I never managed to get good performance that way. 

I setup truenas on a vm in hyper v and then just pass through the disks. Been running that way for over 5 years now and hasn't been a problem. Just need to create a scheduled task for reboot and shutdown so that Truenas stops correctly before the host os.