Computer restarting when playing or doing nothing. No BSOD.

Volicius

Hello, I have a pc I build like, 3 years ago, and after installing House Flipper 2 (yes I know) it started to restart randomly. I played Cyberpunk, Starfield, and other games at ULTRA with no problems until this House Flipper incident. Also, Crysis ran just fine lol

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Asrock Steel Legend B450
4x 8gb G Skill trident z Neo 3600 mhz
Nvidia RTX 3060 Ultra Colorful
PSU NZXT C650 Gold

I opened the pc, cleaned, changed thermal paste, re build it. I re installed windows 11, everything, and it keep happening. It can be either playing League of Legends, Fortnite, House Flipper, using Photoshop, watching twitch, whatever. The pc completly shut downs and then turns on. It doesn't give a BSOD, it doesn't crash first, nothing weird.
First I thought it was the cpu frequency, it was reaching 4.3 or something, so I just locked it to 3.9, but it's the same. I updated the BIOS, nothing. I turned on and off the XMP profile on the BIOS, same, keeps restarting

I've attached the error in Event Viewer.

I just want to come home from work and play a little, it's not ot much to ask 😭

Screenshot_1.png

Sounds like a power issue. Your PSU may be cutting out from its over current protection. 

Technology is like a good friend that does its best to piss you off at every turn. yet we love them anyway. 

You said that the system could be doing nothing in the subject line...Does it occur if the system is literally just idling?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

12 minutes ago, Macfox38 said:

Sounds like a power issue. Your PSU may be cutting out from its over current protection. 

I was thinking this too, but I really want to be the most sure before swaping components because I don't have someon to borrow from to try.

7 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

You said that the system could be doing nothing in the subject line...Does it occur if the system is literally just idling?

It has happened a few times, but yes. Sometimes it just keeps in a loop of rebooting> Signin in> desktop >rebooting again.

6 minutes ago, Volicius said:

I was thinking this too, but I really want to be the most sure before swaping components because I don't have someon to borrow from to try.

It has happened a few times, but yes. Sometimes it just keeps in a loop of rebooting> Signin in> desktop >rebooting again.

Do you hear a click or anything from the PC when it cuts out? also see if the PSU fan is spinning if its over heating it could cut it self out too

Technology is like a good friend that does its best to piss you off at every turn. yet we love them anyway. 

58 minutes ago, Volicius said:

Hello, I have a pc I build like, 3 years ago, and after installing House Flipper 2 (yes I know) it started to restart randomly. I played Cyberpunk, Starfield, and other games at ULTRA with no problems until this House Flipper incident. Also, Crysis ran just fine lol

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Asrock Steel Legend B450
4x 8gb G Skill trident z Neo 3600 mhz
Nvidia RTX 3060 Ultra Colorful
PSU NZXT C650 Gold

I opened the pc, cleaned, changed thermal paste, re build it. I re installed windows 11, everything, and it keep happening. It can be either playing League of Legends, Fortnite, House Flipper, using Photoshop, watching twitch, whatever. The pc completly shut downs and then turns on. It doesn't give a BSOD, it doesn't crash first, nothing weird.
First I thought it was the cpu frequency, it was reaching 4.3 or something, so I just locked it to 3.9, but it's the same. I updated the BIOS, nothing. I turned on and off the XMP profile on the BIOS, same, keeps restarting

I've attached the error in Event Viewer.

I just want to come home from work and play a little, it's not ot much to ask 😭

Screenshot_1.png

Sounds like a power issue to me. So you have another PSU? If you don’t have another PSU, do you have another graphics card? 
reason I’m asking, is it’s mostly your PSU, but also your gpu is most likely causing this. The transients caused from 3000 series cards I believe can be up to 700-800 watts for up to a milisecond. I would put my money on it. I also have a system with a 3090 that I’ve been having trouble with that does similar things, usually only at startup. 

1 hour ago, Macfox38 said:

Do you hear a click or anything from the PC when it cuts out? also see if the PSU fan is spinning if its over heating it could cut it self out too

I've never listened to something, but mostly because I'm using headphones. I'll try to not use them so I can hear something.

53 minutes ago, Ddaoud2 said:

Sounds like a power issue to me. So you have another PSU? If you don’t have another PSU, do you have another graphics card? 
reason I’m asking, is it’s mostly your PSU, but also your gpu is most likely causing this. The transients caused from 3000 series cards I believe can be up to 700-800 watts for up to a milisecond. I would put my money on it. I also have a system with a 3090 that I’ve been having trouble with that does similar things, usually only at startup. 

Sooo, should I try a new PSU? how much watts should it be if the gpu is doing that kind of stuff...

14 minutes ago, Volicius said:

I've never listened to something, but mostly because I'm using headphones. I'll try to not use them so I can hear something.

Sooo, should I try a new PSU? how much watts should it be if the gpu is doing that kind of stuff...

Supposing the power supply is the issue...it's not really necessarily the watts(that's generally true anyway. If the power supply can't deliver most of its output through 12V, it's garbage). You want a power supply that can respond rapidly to transient loads. However, I'm not sure how good the C650 is, so I cannot judge it at the moment.

@Volicius

What is the model number of your power supply? The whole number on the unit.

Edited by Godlygamer23

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

3 hours ago, Volicius said:

realistically i like to have a good 100-200W head room. Im running similar specs on a 850W supply. 

20 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Supposing the power supply is the issue...it's not really necessarily the watts(that's generally true anyway. If the power supply can't deliver most of its output through 12V, it's garbage). You want a power supply that can respond rapidly to transient loads. However, I'm not sure how good the C650 is, so I cannot judge it at the moment.

@Volicius

What is the model number of your power supply? The whole number on the unit.

NP-C650M-US
What's a good PSU that can handle the 3060?

3 hours ago, Volicius said:

NP-C650M-US
What's a good PSU that can handle the 3060?

Before you installed and played House Flipper 2, was your computer working flawlessly?

19 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Before you installed and played House Flipper 2, was your computer working flawlessly?

Yes. I really don't know what could House Flipper 2 have done to my pc kill it. The more I think, the less I understand.

2 hours ago, Volicius said:

Yes. I really don't know what could House Flipper 2 have done to my pc kill it. The more I think, the less I understand.

Did you play it with V-Sync on or off? I'm not convinced your power supply was ever insufficient to power your PC properly if it was working flawlessly before. Something obviously changed.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

Did you play it with V-Sync on or off? I'm not convinced your power supply was ever insufficient to power your PC properly if it was working flawlessly before. Something obviously changed.

It was off, I really never enabled v-sync for something.

• 2 weeks later...

10 days later but, welp.

Pc shut down just watching a youtube video.  There was a weird funny sound, like a "tchiuuummm" , like a pikachu died. So, I guess it's the PSU, cuz I tried to turn on the pc but it wouldn't. After like a few minutes tying, I disconnected the pc from the wall plug(?) waited a few minutes, plug in again and it turned on.
So again, best PSU for my computer that can handle the 3060 Ultra?