ITX PC - First build, any recommendations?

Budget (including currency): Cad $1400 including tax

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly rendering and 1440p gaming: Apex legends, Warzone...

Other details: This is what I have planned out: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/BjKhTY

PCU:                   Intel Core i5-12400F

GPU:                   RTX 3070 (used, about $400)

PSU:                   Lian Li SP850 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply

Motherboard:    ASRock Z690M-ITX/ax Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard

Memory:            TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

Storage:             PNY CS2140 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive

Case:                  Cooler Master MasterBox NR200

Case Fan:           ARCTIC P12 Silent (x2)

CPU Cooler:       Cooler Master Hyper 212

Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 5.59.17 PM.png

I recommend 2*16GB

Can't you go 12400 instead of 12400F ?

Don't buy the P12 silent ! buy the standard P12 and apply a curve via Fan Control for example

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

You might be able to save yourself a little with a B-series board. I think B660 boards have PCIe 4.0 x16 slots, but make sure to verify that first. With a locked CPU, you probably don't need the extras on a Z-board.

32GB of RAM isn't a bad idea these days, but not really necessary for the use case you're presenting here. If you've got the budget, it's a worthwhile upgrade...but so is a bigger NVMe drive. Strictly IMO, 1TB is not enough to be the only drive in a gaming system anymore.

The Hyper 212 is an even worse buy in 2024 than it was in 2020. There are plenty of $15-20 coolers on Amazon that beat it. Look for 120mm towers by Thermalright, the Deepcool Gammaxx 120mm series, and once in a while something in the 120mm range by ID-Cooling will pop up.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

3 hours ago, leclod said:

I recommend 2*16GB

Can't you go 12400 instead of 12400F ?

Don't buy the P12 silent ! buy the standard P12 and apply a curve via Fan Control for example

isn't 12400 more expensive?

2 hours ago, aisle9 said:

You might be able to save yourself a little with a B-series board. I think B660 boards have PCIe 4.0 x16 slots, but make sure to verify that first. With a locked CPU, you probably don't need the extras on a Z-board.

32GB of RAM isn't a bad idea these days, but not really necessary for the use case you're presenting here. If you've got the budget, it's a worthwhile upgrade...but so is a bigger NVMe drive. Strictly IMO, 1TB is not enough to be the only drive in a gaming system anymore.

The Hyper 212 is an even worse buy in 2024 than it was in 2020. There are plenty of $15-20 coolers on Amazon that beat it. Look for 120mm towers by Thermalright, the Deepcool Gammaxx 120mm series, and once in a while something in the 120mm range by ID-Cooling will pop up.

Thanks for the input. This is the build now: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/8hw7dH. I am still making some changes, like if I find a cheaper 3080 them I might go 12600kf, 3080.

6 hours ago, frogman said:

Budget (including currency): Cad $1400 including tax

A tax include budget amount is pointless. How do you expect people in other parts of Canada, let alone the rest of the world to know the actual tax rate in your province?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

2 hours ago, brob said:

A tax include budget amount is pointless. How do you expect people in other parts of Canada, let alone the rest of the world to know the actual tax rate in your province?

well, outside of North America tax would be included in the list price, i don't know about Canada specifically, but it seems like PCPP can calculate with tax for OP-

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

4 hours ago, frogman said:

Thanks for the input. This is the build now: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/8hw7dH. I am still making some changes, like if I find a cheaper 3080 them I might go 12600kf, 3080.

Seems okay, although I haven't bought an Intel CPU/Mobo since 2015, so can't say anything meaningful about that.

Put some consideration into VRAM. There is a lot of talk about wheter 8 gb is enough in 2024. So maybe go for a card with 12 or 16 gb if you are shopping around anyway. Not to say that 8 gb are worthless, but it seems like something to read up on before buying.

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

PCPartPicker Part List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/pcQcFs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($269.00 @ Newegg Canada) 
CPU Cooler: Thermalright SI-100 72.37 CFM CPU Cooler  ($33.90 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($164.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory  ($119.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Storage: TEAMGROUP T-Force Cardea Z44Q 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($133.99 @ PC-Canada) 
Video Card: NVIDIA Founders Edition GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Video Card  ($400.00) 
Case: SAMA IM01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($94.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Power Supply: Gigabyte UD750GM 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Memory Express) 
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 Silent 24.1 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($13.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Monitor: Gigabyte G27Q 27.0" 2560 x 1440 144 Hz Monitor  ($0.00) 
Total: $1330.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-05 10:41 EST-0500

I would suggest the SAMA IM01 instead. Since it can fit mATX, you don't have to spend on expensive ITX components. And it is actually not that much bigger.

NR 200 vs Sama IM01 : r/sffpc

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Like I wrote earlier, it doesn't make sense buying the ARCTIC P12 Silent fans over the ARCTIC P12 fans.

- the first are DC, the second are PWM, agreed not much of a difference but PWM fans are  better

- the first are silent because they can't reach high speeds, the second can do exactly the same low speeds and also reach high speeds

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/68WfrH/arctic-p12-563-cfm-120-mm-fan-acfan00120a

And did you notice the 12600k is cheaper than the 12600kf ? (while I also prefer the AM5 7600)

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

13 hours ago, DeerDK said:

well, outside of North America tax would be included in the list price, i don't know about Canada specifically, but it seems like PCPP can calculate with tax for OP-

Everywhere outside NAm?

PCPP can calculate taxes AFTER the tax rates are configured. So unless one knows the rates one is SOL trying to suggest alternatives.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

8 hours ago, brob said:

Everywhere outside NAm?

PCPP can calculate taxes AFTER the tax rates are configured. So unless one knows the rates one is SOL trying to suggest alternatives.

Admittedly, my experience is primarily Europe, where not including tax on pricetag is considered misleading and is illegal, and one country/airport in the middle east as well as the Seychelles. And US and Canada. So I don't have a complete data set, but when the debate comes up it's mostly US people who defend leaving the tax out 🤷

While I agree that it can be harder to suggest alternatives, if OP only has 1400 Canadian dollars, that is their budget. Everything included. Or they should have calculated backwards. 

But my answer was in the genuine belief that PCPP could accommodate for it