Games not fully utilizing network speed for additional data downloads

kasdashd

I've found that most mobile games don't fully utilize my Wifi speed when downloading additional data.

I have a gigabit fiber optic connection, and I get at least a stable 500mbit speed on Wifi.

But when installing LOL Wild Rift for instance, it only utilizes around 15% of my download speed, which makes the downloads take forever.

Or when downloading the additional 20 gigabyte or so in genshin impact, the iOS version utilizes my network speed completely, but on Android, it's limited to 30MB/240Mbit per second, which doesn't make any sense.

This is really annoying for mobile gaming, and something I don't see anyone talking about. Stuff like this means that people continue playing on their PC, where the fps is uncapped, and up to 1 gigabit network speed can be fully utilized, which keep mobile gaming from getting more attention, more AAA games, and in the end, less development for mobile APU's.

5 minutes ago, kasdashd said:

I've found that most mobile games don't fully utilize my Wifi speed when downloading additional data.

I have a gigabit fiber optic connection, and I get at least a stable 500mbit speed on Wifi.

But when installing LOL Wild Rift for instance, it only utilizes around 15% of my download speed, which makes the downloads take forever.

Or when downloading the additional 20 gigabyte or so in genshin impact, the iOS version utilizes my network speed completely, but on Android, it's limited to 30MB/240Mbit per second, which doesn't make any sense.

This is really annoying for mobile gaming, and something I don't see anyone talking about. Stuff like this means that people continue playing on their PC, where the fps is uncapped, and up to 1 gigabit network speed can be fully utilized, which keep mobile gaming from getting more attention, more AAA games, and in the end, less development for mobile APU's.

How was CPU usage and SSD usage? Sometimes it limits it. Also check the wifi connection. Sometimes wifi can limit you alot

I have used speedtest.net and fast.com, and gotten at least 500mbit/s every single time, sometimes more. And I don't know the CPU and SSD usage, but this shouldn't limit the download speed to such a degree, as the content is being downloaded first, and then applied and installed, it's 2 different steps, utilizing 2 different types of hardware. 

Please try this out yourself on your mobile device(s), in LOL wild rift as I mentioned, and you'll see the same very low network utilizing as I did, since with LOL, it happened on both my Ipad and Android phone, and both on Wifi and 5G celullar, which is pretty fast indoors as well, but sometimes up to 3-4 times faster than my Wifi outdoors!

31 minutes ago, kasdashd said:

Your download speed is only part of the equation. The server you're downloading from also has to have the necessary upload speed. That may be limited for various reasons. Primarily cost and number of people currently downloading.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

I wish the Play store on Android devices would begin to download the next app that needs to be updated while the app that just had the download package completed is being installed. But it's all serial. 

Look at CPU usage, decompression could be bottleneck? Steam store classic example. Slow server?

Yes, I know that steam download speed can be bottleneck by CPU decompression, but for mobile games, the network utilizing is sometimes just so low, and the difference between games is so large, that it must be something else than CPU decompression, and why I send feedback to the developers, so they can fix the specific issue for their games.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2024 at 9:24 PM, Eigenvektor said:

Your download speed is only part of the equation. The server you're downloading from also has to have the necessary upload speed. That may be limited for various reasons. Primarily cost and number of people currently downloading.

Yes, but that’s why all servers should support up to 1 gigabit connections, at least, at all times, despite the cost and number of users, the money and demand is there.

Also just downloaded Hearthstone from the app store on my ipad. When launching the game, it has to download 3 gigabytes of additional data, but only downloads 10 megabytes per second, even though I have a 600mbit Wifi connection, which means the game should download 75megabytes per second. Please someone contact Blizzard, and have them fix this issue, cause I can’t find out how to contact their support team.

1 hour ago, kasdashd said:

Yes, but that’s why all servers should support up to 1 gigabit connections, at least, at all times, despite the cost and number of users, the money and demand is there.

That's easy for you to say, but you're not the one paying the bills.

~edit: You also need to keep in mind that 1 Gbps divided by potentially thousands or even tens of thousands of customers downloading an update at once is not much bandwidth per customer at all.

They will likely also prioritize bandwidth for more popular games.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

38 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

That's easy for you to say, but you're not the one paying the bills.

~edit: You also need to keep in mind that 1 Gbps divided by potentially thousands or even tens of thousands of customers downloading an update at once is not much bandwidth per customer at all.

They will likely also prioritize bandwidth for more popular games.

I’m also not the company earning billions for their investors…

What's your disk write usage when you're trying to download games?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?