Need to change PC power LED from blink to fade in the simplest manner, need some guidance.

Bitter

I have a nice PC that's got an ugly blinking power LED on stand by, I'd like to make it fade instead of flash. I have a very rough understanding of electronic components and their functions but would like a bit of hand holding to make sure I don't fry the power LED circuit on the motherboard.

I'm going to add a series resistor to dim the LED, would putting a small electrolytic capacitor in series after the the resistor make the LED turn on then fade, fade in and fade out, or do nothing at all? Should the capacitor be in parallel across the power LED? Is electrolytic the best type for this? What's an appropriate value to start with? I've got some junk electronics in the basement I can harvest components from so I may not get exact values, but if needed I don't mind buying a small assortment.

If it makes any difference it's not a single LED but an array of 4 LED's on a circuit board with a light guide, I guess Asus felt fancy.

Thank you, that is a bit simpler than some other circuits I was finding online with 555 timers and transistors.

I'll measure the current of the power LED, I believe the motherboard is pushing 5V for those but I'll double check. With V and A, could you give some good starting points for circuit values?

I'll do some reading about capacitor types, most of the little knowledge I have is audio filtering related.