yajdem

Hello!

I would like to ask you for help.
I am looking for processor cooling for the following configuration:

• Motherboard: Asus Strix B650E-E
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
  • Memory: G.SKILL 32GB KIT DDR5 6000MHz CL30 Trident Z5 NEO RGB
  • Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow

Basically, I like the Aric Liquid Freezer II 360mm among the AIOs.
As for air cooling, I like the Noctua NH-D15S and the be quiet Dark Rock Pro 5 the most, but I could also include the Jonsbo HX7280.

I looked through the CPU Cooler Performance Tier List and saw that the liquid freezer is among the best.

What should I choose?

I'm a little worried that the AIO will leak, but in the meantime I want the processor to be "cool".
What happens if the pump breaks in the AIO? Does the processor fail?

What do you think would be a good solution?

What is important is that I buy a new processor cooler every time I build a new PC, so it is replaced every 3-4 years at the latest.

Thank you very much!

3 minutes ago, yajdem said:

Basically, I like the Aric Liquid Freezer II 360mm among the AIOs.
As for air cooling, I like the Noctua NH-D15S and the be quiet Dark Rock Pro 5 the most

All three of these coolers are insanely overkill. The 7800X3D draws no power and therefore can be adequately cooled by a stock cooler, let alone the top end air coolers. 

Just get something cheaper. The Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 or one of its derivatives is usually a pretty good option. 

5 minutes ago, yajdem said:

What happens if the pump breaks in the AIO? Does the processor fail?

Depends on how it breaks. If it develops a leak in the cold plate (very rare but can technically happen), then it does have a chance to kill the CPU. If it's just the pump failing like is significantly more common, then your system will just start overheating within a minute or two of turning on, or it will come up with an error saying something like "CPU PUMP failed, replace immediately" and prevent the system from turning on until you get a new AIO. This doesn't usually start to happen until 3 years at the minimum, 5 years on average though, so not something you realistically need to worry about.

This is not an engineering question, this is all style. If you want liquid cooling because it looks neat, get down with your bad self! You will have to blow the dust out of the radiator regularly, which is a PIA. If you don't care use the stock cooler or the one that makes you happy, any good one will do. A BMW is more expensive to maintain than a Ford Focus...its the same story.

15 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

All three of these coolers are insanely overkill. The 7800X3D draws no power and therefore can be adequately cooled by a stock cooler, let alone the top end air coolers. 

Just get something cheaper. The Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 or one of its derivatives is usually a pretty good option. 

Depends on how it breaks. If it develops a leak in the cold plate (very rare but can technically happen), then it does have a chance to kill the CPU. If it's just the pump failing like is significantly more common, then your system will just start overheating within a minute or two of turning on, or it will come up with an error saying something like "CPU PUMP failed, replace immediately" and prevent the system from turning on until you get a new AIO. This doesn't usually start to happen until 3 years at the minimum, 5 years on average though, so not something you realistically need to worry about.

2 minutes ago, SillySlug24 said:

This is not an engineering question, this is all style. If you want liquid cooling because it looks neat, get down with your bad self! You will have to blow the dust out of the radiator regularly, which is a PIA. If you don't care use the stock cooler or the one that makes you happy, any good one will do. A BMW is more expensive to maintain than a Ford Focus...its the same story.

Do you think that I can't achieve better temperature values with an AIO than, for example, with a Noctua-NH D15S?

Just now, yajdem said:

Do you think that I can't achieve better temperature values with an AIO than, for example, with a Noctua-NH D15S?

Not meaningfully better, no. A ~$35 air cooler will keep the chip at ~60C in games, with an ~80C max in all core workloads assuming a standard 21C room temp. More expensive and better coolers might get 2-3C lower temps if you're lucky, but given that they're already so good to begin with and these chips don't have overclocking support, it makes no sense to seek out a higher end cooler for them. 

Here is a way too complex dive into chip temperatures if you want to go down the rabbit hole:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/what-proper-temperature-ic-chip-kuke-electronics

Due to thermal resistance there is a maximum limit to how fast heat from the silicon chip can be passed from the chip -> to the TIM (Thermal Interface Material) -> to the heat Spreader -> to the Heat sink/cooler/radiator-> to the outside air. As long as the TDP of the cooler is greater than the TDP of the CPU you are fine. If the CPU die, the actual silicon chip, is less than 89°, Tjmax, there is no gain in performance. If the die does reach tjmax the CPU will throttle to protect itself lowering performance. Any good air or AIO cooler will keep you from reaching tjmax even under max load.

In short, do what gives you joy, but 2-3° diffs in temp will have no effect.

Side note, many people, when installing their cooler use way too much Thermal paste. The best possible conduction of heat is metal to metal from the heat spreader on top of the CPU to the cooler. Thermal past fills the *tiny* gaps between the spreader and cooler, increasing cooling surface area. More is not better!

51 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Not meaningfully better, no. A ~$35 air cooler will keep the chip at ~60C in games, with an ~80C max in all core workloads assuming a standard 21C room temp. More expensive and better coolers might get 2-3C lower temps if you're lucky, but given that they're already so good to begin with and these chips don't have overclocking support, it makes no sense to seek out a higher end cooler for them. 

This video shows otherwise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQvw9Aa12d8

What do you think?

I dunno, I built my 1st computer in 1994, have a Computer Science degree, and Job in IT. I sent you to an article from an electronics manufacturer who Actually Make Custom Silicon explaining temperature and conductivity. That guy has a YouTube channel and 2.69k subscribers. You decide.

54 minutes ago, yajdem said:

What do you think?

That was done with a 5800X, a CPU that has completely different cooling characteristics. I'd be less likely to trust some random guy on YouTube with cooler testing than one of the Bigger names like Gamers Nexus, though their testing showing the Liquid Freezer II 360 being the better cooler lines up (there are still better air coolers than the NH-D15 though). 

Besides, even if that was true, that still doesn't change the fact that the 7800X3D doesn't need high end coolers because it just doesn't run that hot in the first place. 

His testing showing that it runs cool with any cooler is backed up by other reviewers as well. 

1 hour ago, yajdem said:

What do you think?

Your video confirmed that.

NH-D15 vs Arctic Freezer II, the difference is 0*C ~ 3*C difference at 130W, depending on the fan speed %.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

My 58X3D is no harder to cool than my 5600X. All this talk of X3D being hot is just regurgitated hype imo..

I can run it with no fans installed on all of my air coolers, I have a few..

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

The only reason to get a top cooler for a cool CPU is if you plan to reuse it with a different one some day. You started that you don't do that, so there's no need to throw big money at this CPU.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

If you have good case flow you could probably run that cpu with no fans installed on the cooler like me.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14