CoreXY Printers with beds equal to or greater than 300x300mm.

Hey Gang! A friend of mine forwarded me to the LTT forums after I asked if they knew anyone who would have experience or knowledge for someone purchasing a large bed 3d printer. I've never owned a 3D printer, but I've learned the basics from my experience on the Creality CR-10 printing for my local robotics team, and I have people in my life who understand and are willing to lend a helping hand when I encounter issues with 3D printing. I'm finally ready to obtain a printer of my own, so came to the forums searching for people with experience with the large bed (300x300m or greater) printers, such as the Creality Ender 5 Plus and the Anycubic Kobra 2 Plus. The sales are still on, and I'm seeking purchase advice before they pretend to be a bar of soap and give me the slip! 

All opinions are welcome, my budget is around 500 USD, and I have the support to and will to upgrade parts. I plan on using the printer primarily for Cosplay, but I have other practical applications that could make great use out of a printer. I would prefer, and was recommended to get a CoreXY design by my experienced friend running a Bambu P1S, but I'm open to suggestions. My thanks, and I hope you picked up on my Dr. Eggman reference.
- Atomic

Maybe check out the Creality Ender 5 Plus, It has a build volume of 350x350x400mm as well as automatic and manual bed leveling.

Reviews say that after some software calibration (for example, Cura doesn't have a preset printer profile for it, you'll have to modify the profile for the Ender 5), it delivers good results in terms of print quality.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

6 hours ago, Atomic_K said:

I would prefer, and was recommended to get a CoreXY design by my experienced friend running a Bambu P1S, but I'm open to suggestions.

CoreXY's are harder to come by in this price range, unless you're getting a Tronny, which I've heard mixed things about. They're not "fast" like a K1 or a P1P/X1, but they have a D01 Plus that's Bowden tube for $500 and a V2 direct drive for $600. Or you could get their less expensive X5SA series

https://www.tronxy3d.com/collections/corexy-3d-printer

The ender 5's dont count as CoreXY, but they still offer cheap large print formatting in at least a stationary bed.

CoreXY explained: Comparison + strengths & weaknesses

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

16 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

CoreXY's are harder to come by in this price range, unless you're getting a Tronny, which I've heard mixed things about. They're not "fast" like a K1 or a P1P/X1, but they have a D01 Plus that's Bowden tube for $500 and a V2 direct drive for $600. Or you could get their less expensive X5SA series

https://www.tronxy3d.com/collections/corexy-3d-printer

The ender 5's dont count as CoreXY, but they still offer cheap large print formatting in at least a stationary bed.

CoreXY explained: Comparison + strengths & weaknesses

Would you say that its even worth going for a CoreXY design? I'm willing to increase my budget if the benefits are there. But if there are more reliable, higher quality, or just overall superior printers in the bed size range, for my desired applications (Mostly Cosplay, but the occasional replacement piece), I'm open to your input.

@TVwazhereCan't recommend tronxy. They are always close but just can't get it right.

Tronxy X5A: No. Don't own them but some do and they don't talk nicely about this printer. 

Tronxy D01: I Own it. My bad: I owned it as it's heavily modified:

1. Quick bed levelling (requires ABL before each print) or a new z-axis. 

2. flexible build plate. Removing large prints from a glass bad can be difficult. 

3. new extruder + hotend! The original bowden is trash. I went with a E3D Hemera XS revo but now you could choose an Orbiter V3. 

4. replaced the entire control system/electronics. The tronxy firmware might work but due to issues I expired in the past with Tronxy Firmware (including thermal runaway) it was an easy choice: A BTT Manta M8P with CB1 and klipper firmware.

If you sacrifice the additional $199 and 44mm builld volume go with the BambuLab P1S. The A1 would be an option but it's unclear when it will be sold again. ETA for current owners is 3 months and no word on when sales will be resumed.

People never go out of business.

Is it even worth considering a CoreXY design given my price limitation and desired bed size? I would have just pulled the trigger on the Ender 5 Plus, but I haven't heard stellar things about it. Should I just get a quality bed slinger?

Reaffirming; I plan on primarily using the printer for full helmet and armor prints, (Mandalorian, Elden ring, Halo, Titanfall, etc.) and the occasional car part. Speed and size (300×300 Min) is basically what I'm gunning for. I'm open to modification, and don't think I'll ever print with anything but PLA. I just want something reliable man, researching those TronXY printers was a nightmare. Hard to ask for it all with a budget, Sorry.

get an anycubic. i have one. no isses

Did I help you?? Then please mark my answer as the solution!

Is it even worth considering a CoreXY design given my price limitation and desired bed size?

Wouldn't limit mysellf to CoreXY at this budget & size. What I would price in is Klipper firmware.

and the occasional car part[...]  and don't think I'll ever print with anything but PLA

PLA isn't a great fit for automotive applications. ASA would be good.

I would have just pulled the trigger on the Ender 5 Plus, but I haven't heard stellar things about it.

At this size and price point you won't get the it just works™ experience.

There are printer that aren't worth it and there are printer with QC issues or minor upgrades.

For example Artillery3D has an X4 max in the works (400-450mm or so print area) for $500. Going by the smaller versions, already on the market, it falls within the QC issues category.

The TwoTrees SK1 might be the closest at 300x300mm and core-xy ($580): https://www.twotrees3dofficial.com/products/sk1-corexy-3d-printer-twotrees

1 hour ago, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

The TwoTrees SK1 might be the closest at 300x300mm and core-xy ($580): https://www.twotrees3dofficial.com/products/sk1-corexy-3d-printer-twotrees

Sadly this one is a 256mm3 build volume, not 300 (it's basically a Bambu lab p1p with a better screen)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

40 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Sadly this one is a 256mm3 build volume, not 300 (it's basically a Bambu lab p1p with a better screen)

I did a quick search, and they do sell a 300x300x350mm version on 3dprintersonline, for 400 USD. I'll look into the design, its much slower then the SV07, and its hotend sadly doesn't reach 300°C. But their is an enclosure option, and regardless the design appears promising. Those are surface level facts though, I need to do significantly more digging.

@TVwazhere That's correct... the older SP-5 v3 would be an 300mm option.

@Atomic_K The crazy high numbers are generated by utilizing input shaping.  My E3D toolchanger is configured to 5000mm^2/s without input shaping and that's a nice printer. So if you see any bed slinger or v-roller 3d-printer that claims 20'000mm^2/s acceleration you know it's with input shaping

The SP-5 doesn't has input shaping. The SP-5 v3 has it (they claim 6x faster print speed): https://www.twotrees3dofficial.com/products/sp-5-v3-corexy-3d-printer-twotrees

They changed more with this upgrade (e.g. extruder). No clue how it performs so do your own research.