can someone tell me what that m.2 slot is used for?

Go to solution Solved by BlackDragon1971,

ASUS does this for a few motherboards. Make sure you have the vertical m.2 SSD bracket... the bracket is hard to find on eBay BTW

this is a pic from the manual of my z370 maximus x code mobo. the port sticks straight out instead laying down like a normal m.2 slot. what is it used for? i don't know of any m.2 drive that is shaped in a way to work with it. and i can't think of the words to describe it's orientation in a way that google will recognize it and give me the correct answer.

that.PNG

You could plug a m.2 whatever into it.

Seems like a funny way to add another drive 😛

They didnt want to say one of their halo products only had one m.2 slot so well there

The maximus range is their expirimental bs product range after all so you tend to get weird stuff.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

You could plug a m.2 whatever into it.

Seems like a funny way to add another drive 😛

They didnt want to say one of their halo products only had one m.2 slot so well there

The maximus range is their expirimental bs product range after all so you tend to get weird stuff.

Its not a terrible design, probably gets better cooling from the front fans to be honest.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

10 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its not a terrible design, probably gets better cooling from the front fans to be honest.

Never had a motherboard with that kind of slot.

But from the looks of it and thinking logically, probably makes it easier to remove and insert NVME too.

At least when compared to slots that ends up behind GPU or stuffs.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

ASUS does this for a few motherboards. Make sure you have the vertical m.2 SSD bracket... the bracket is hard to find on eBay BTW

Intel Core i9 10920x CPU; ASUS ROG Strix x299-E Gaming II Motherboard; 64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666 MHz Quad Channel Kit; EVGA RTX 2070 Gaming 8 GB; 2 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe m.2 SSD & 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe m.2 SSD; 1 TB WD Blue SATA SSD; 2x 6 TB HGST DeskStar NAS Hard Drives; Corsair Hydro H150i RGB PRO XT All In One Cooler; Corsair RM1000i 1000 Watt PSU; Corsair Commander Pro Lighting & Fan control; 4x Corsair HD120 RGB 120 mm fans - Intake ; Lian Li 011-Dynamic Razer Edition cube case, Windows 11 Pro 23H2