advice regarding a 65" TV

good morning, everyone!

I am here asking for advice regarding a 65" TV, but I want to make a small premise.

The 2 TVs I have at home right now are a Samsung that I think I got no later than 2010 that, despite its age, still does its thing (but is used maybe 10% of my “TV time”) and a late 2017 LG 60UH615V that I found discounted (25%) at 900€, which however turned out to be the worst TV I've ever had: incomplete WebOS software with no update, endless latencies in switching between apps, unexplained app crushes or playbacks that freeze before they even start (not a network problem because the TV is wired to the 1gb/s fiber router).

I've always been inclined to think that brands like Hisense/Tcl were B brands, but in recent times I'm seeing more and more new products and launches at trade shows like CES, even Linus talks about these brands in videos (and not only him), more and more presence in the market even in my country (Italy) and I'm starting to think that I'm missing some pieces along the way.

Also, I wouldn't want to get Samsung again because I've never been crazy about the software, (but maybe after 14 years it's better) and as you can tell from the paragraph before, LG with its terrible WebOs is ruled out.

I would like an android Tv because they have always seemed to me the most responsive and complete, and in the end I use Tv almost only for streaming from apps such as disney+, netflix, prime, plex, and don't mind having huge features for gaming, since I play 97% of the time on PC, and when I do on TV, it's usually via Steam deck, retro-console or at most ps4. I already have a Samsung 2.1 soundbar that I bought in 2010-2012 so, as an audio compartment, I'm fine (although I think I'll upgrade that sooner or later as well).

So, to recap, I'd say no bigger than 65" because that's the maximum space I have, and I wouldn't want to go below 60" because that's the one I have now and it's already "small" for the distance I'm looking at it from , about 1000€ budget (if it's less better, of course! :D ), absolutely not LG because of the software that burned me a lot, but the rest of the brands are more or less fine, if it was possible 4 HDMI or more, at least I can stop using HDMI switches :P

thanks in advance

4 minutes ago, forbilol said:

good morning, everyone!

I am here asking for advice regarding a 65" TV, but I want to make a small premise.

The 2 TVs I have at home right now are a Samsung that I think I got no later than 2010 that, despite its age, still does its thing (but is used maybe 10% of my “TV time”) and a late 2017 LG 60UH615V that I found discounted (25%) at 900€, which however turned out to be the worst TV I've ever had: incomplete WebOS software with no update, endless latencies in switching between apps, unexplained app crushes or playbacks that freeze before they even start (not a network problem because the TV is wired to the 1gb/s fiber router).

I've always been inclined to think that brands like Hisense/Tcl were B brands, but in recent times I'm seeing more and more new products and launches at trade shows like CES, even Linus talks about these brands in videos (and not only him), more and more presence in the market even in my country (Italy) and I'm starting to think that I'm missing some pieces along the way.

Also, I wouldn't want to get Samsung again because I've never been crazy about the software, (but maybe after 14 years it's better) and as you can tell from the paragraph before, LG with its terrible WebOs is ruled out.

I would like an android Tv because they have always seemed to me the most responsive and complete, and in the end I use Tv almost only for streaming from apps such as disney+, netflix, prime, plex, and don't mind having huge features for gaming, since I play 97% of the time on PC, and when I do on TV, it's usually via Steam deck, retro-console or at most ps4. I already have a Samsung 2.1 soundbar that I bought in 2010-2012 so, as an audio compartment, I'm fine (although I think I'll upgrade that sooner or later as well).

So, to recap, I'd say no bigger than 65" because that's the maximum space I have, and I wouldn't want to go below 60" because that's the one I have now and it's already "small" for the distance I'm looking at it from , about 1000€ budget (if it's less better, of course! 😄 ), absolutely not LG because of the software that burned me a lot, but the rest of the brands are more or less fine, if it was possible 4 HDMI or more, at least I can stop using HDMI switches 😛

thanks in advance

Have you thought anout just using an external box for the software? That way you can focus more on the picture quality aspect of the TV and not be limited as much in choice. Apple tv 4k or Roku are pretty well liked. It also allows you to upgrade easier when you feel that the software is holding you back again.

No, actually I hadn't thought about it, but it would be an "extra" 50-100€ purchase to make.
I don't have any Apple products in the house and Roku has never really appealed to me (at least when I'd seen it in its early years), I'd aim for a new Chromecast ( i have an old fullHD's one) but at this point an android TV/Google TV I think would be the same thing and probably cost less.
I would rather go for ease of use, and a dongle adds an extra point of failure/complexity, but I'm open to suggestions/combo to consider, as mentioned in the first post: what would be your idea?

Dont use the built in os's on any smart tv. Even better NEVER connect them to the internet then they don't update and get slower or don't get filled with adds.

Your current lg can be EASILY made into a WAY BETTER smart tv for 40$ for like a roku stick, onn android tv box, google android tv box,... it will be SO much better than even the highest end tvs their built in garbage.

Genuinly this is the better way and as a bonus you get more than a year or 2 before the tv is abandoned and goes to shit software wise.

Legit just have it auto start on the box and basically only use the tv to switch inputa which your lg has a dedicated button for (if not there most android tv remotes can program a function for it as well as 3rd party remotes).

Got a philips with android tv on it. Never ever connected it to the internet, hooked up my OLD xiaomi android tv box with chromecast and it's been a dream still snappy works as expected and maybe in a year or 2 I'll buy a new box for 50€. That box has moved between like 7 tvs now and I've always just carried on as if I was on the same tv.

Also have a 3rd party remote from like 2004 where I can just program buttons too if my remote doesn't have it and use that with my google tv as the xiaomi remote was a bit lacking in shortcuts. Also used it if the tv didnt bave a button to switch sources on the remote for some reason. Takes 10m-20m to set up and I carry on forward.

My parents have a similar setup but they used a logitech revue one of the first google tv boxes from 2010 till 2018 when software support started to go for android 3.0

4 minutes ago, forbilol said:

No, actually I hadn't thought about it, but it would be an "extra" 50-100€ purchase to make.
I don't have any Apple products in the house and Roku has never really appealed to me (at least when I'd seen it in its early years), I'd aim for a new Chromecast ( i have an old fullHD's one) but at this point an android TV/Google TV I think would be the same thing and probably cost less.
I would rather go for ease of use, and a dongle adds an extra point of failure/complexity, but I'm open to suggestions/combo to consider, as mentioned in the first post: what would be your idea?

Its not a extra point of failiure. Its avoiding terrible built in slow stuff to start.

https://store.google.com/us/product/chromecast_google_tv?hl=en-US

Literally google chromecast WITH google tv built in. They are starting to make sure google tv is a proper thing everywhere and these tend to be supported for 7 years+

Id be a shame to dispose of a tv because of its intentionally poor user interface.

Can't be much easier to use either. These wake with your tv and will just be there for you to input select or well if you have default input or auto input detect your tv just boots into it automagically.

I personally have a xiaomi google tv box with built in chromecast and a mini pc on my tv which is in a shared space. I prefer the mini pc because of the awesome felxibility it offers, but a couple others prefer the google tv/chromecast.

Its as easy for us as source-> arrow down->ok to switch and thats all it takes we never interact with the tv smart garbage.

21 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Dont use the built in os's on any smart tv. Even better NEVER connect them to the internet then they don't update and get slower or don't get filled with adds.

This is bad advice, LG have made many improvements to their TVs via firmware over time, improving picture quality, etc.

I wouldn't recommend Chromecast personally, my go-to for a while now has been ShieldTV as I found it the most compatible with video and audio codecs (no transcoding when using Plex), fast and with the best picture quality.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

This is bad advice, LG have made many improvements to their TVs via firmware over time, improving picture quality, etc.

I wouldn't recommend Chromecast personally, my go-to for a while now has been ShieldTV as I found it the most compatible with video and audio codecs (no transcoding when using Plex), fast and with the best picture quality.

I have plex on a dedicated home server with (almost) all *legitimate* (whink whink) files encoded in h265 (some old .avi or .mp4 have to be converted), with a pretty low end CPU (ryzen3 1300x), are you telling me that if I use the ShieldTV I don't have to worry about transcoding to the TV anymore and would improve its performance?
I always thought of the "simple" chromecast (4k) only for sharing via phone, I had never calculated to use it also for apps like plex/netflix/prime etc., and honestly I never inquired about the new models (I have a first generation one that I use very little and just for screen mirroring), are you telling me that investing in a ShieldTV would be better that changing the entire TV, especially since my main problem with the lg TV is not so much in the picture quality (it may not be with turbo HDR dolby vision dolby atmos 19.7 audiochannel, but it does its job) but with its software?

39 minutes ago, forbilol said:

I always thought of the "simple" chromecast (4k) only for sharing via phone, I had never calculated to use it also for apps like plex/netflix/prime etc., and honestly I never inquired about the new models (I have a first generation one that I use very little and just for screen mirroring), are you telling me that investing in a ShieldTV would be better that changing the entire TV, especially since my main problem with the lg TV is not so much in the picture quality (it may not be with turbo HDR dolby vision dolby atmos 19.7 audiochannel, but it does its job) but with its software?

If you thought that chromecast was only for phone sharing, it's time to look into it again. They can do much more now a days.

46 minutes ago, forbilol said:

I have plex on a dedicated home server with (almost) all *legitimate* (whink whink) files encoded in h265 (some old .avi or .mp4 have to be converted), with a pretty low end CPU (ryzen3 1300x), are you telling me that if I use the ShieldTV I don't have to worry about transcoding to the TV anymore and would improve its performance?

It might need audio transcoding which is relatively light on the server CPU anyway, I avoid that issue as my surround receiver supports all codecs.

My LG does support DolbyVision which was one reasons for getting the latest ShieldTV.  I also find its 4K upscaling does improve some lower quality content, some people feel it over-sharpens too much but you can turn it off.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

3 hours ago, forbilol said:

Mordern chromecasts are full google tv devices with some on board storage and have decent enough processors and such.

The shield is surely an option. Bit expensive for my taste but it is one. My old xiaomi googletv+chromecast box doesn't struggle playing bluray rips from my media nas. I do NO transcoding on the nas and it handles it pretty darn well. Scrubbing is a little sluggish but well it's a cheaper mid range box from 2018. Honestly handles it like a champ once you know whats in there 😛

We've all been trying to tell you that you can just get a stick, box, dongle,... with google tv that is better than basically anything new and built in on the market.

4 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Yeah lg is one of the best right now for custom os's but like it's still nog good and after 2-3 years it becomes a mess regardless. Grandma's got a c1 and it's built in os is a shitshow at this point. Plugged a mi box s gen 2 in and good to go.

Think lg is the only one not pushing adds yet? Else all do it rn.

after all this chatting i've sent my wife into a mission: buy a chromcast 4k to the local store today 🤣

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Yeah lg is one of the best right now for custom os's but like it's still nog good and after 2-3 years it becomes a mess regardless. Grandma's got a c1 and it's built in os is a shitshow at this point. Plugged a mi box s gen 2 in and good to go.

Think lg is the only one not pushing adds yet? Else all do it rn.

I've not had too many problems with LG apps, other than I feel the Plex app has gotten dog slow since they added their own streaming services.  This has pushed me to move back to my ShieldTV recently, but the key advantage to using the TV apps is it uses so much less electricity than having another box running.

22 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I've not had too many problems with LG apps, other than I feel the Plex app has gotten dog slow since they added their own streaming services.  This has pushed me to move back to my ShieldTV recently, but the key advantage to using the TV apps is it uses so much less electricity than having another box running.

A google tv with chromecast is 7.5w max

You really won't notice that on a power bill.

A shield tv has a 40w adapter but even during very intense situations like gaming on it it wont go over 22w.

Typical streaming has it at 8w

Thesr things are mad efficient 😛

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

A google tv with chromecast is 7.5w max

You really won't notice that on a power bill.

A shield tv has a 40w adapter but even during very intense situations like gaming on it it wont go over 22w.

Typical streaming has it at 8w

Thesr things are mad efficient 😛

When I first got the ShieldTV it seemed to pull the same idle 7w in standby as turned on which while still negligible, it was much more than my TV which is only something like 1w.  For a while ShieldTV also had frame-pacing issues which they finally fixed in a firmware update at some point.

The die shrunk model now only does 2w in standby, 3-5w idle, 10W playback with AI Upscaling enabled.

18 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

When I first got the ShieldTV it seemed to pull the same idle 7w in standby as turned on which while still negligible, it was much more than my TV which is only something like 1w.  For a while ShieldTV also had frame-pacing issues which they finally fixed in a firmware update at some point.

The die shrunk model now only does 2w in standby, 3-5w idle, 10W playback with AI Upscaling enabled.

Ok so for op neglibable power usage