Should i turn off my intergrated GPU on my Laptop

Alibabaa

So, my laptop have 2 graphic card: one is integrated (AMD RadeonTM vega 8 graphic) and one is dedicated graphic card (GTX 1650

i want to ask if i should turn off the integrated one because i rarely play game on this laptop, just watching youtube and some coding, surfing browser and i notice that the workload for the integrated's always higher than the dedicated, the dedicated is 0% almost all the time

and the fact that the GTX 1650 is far more stronger than the AMD RadeonTM vega 8 but hasn't been used much by the laptop make me worry

Note: i haven't made any change that could impact the priority of each GPU's workload

thank you

image.png.9b5de159d361aa5904caaf530bc12f3a.png

Your proprietary laptop needs the integrated gpu to function.

Those % graphs are relative to the gpu's speed. The reason the 1650 is at 0% is becuase it's already not in use. The integrated gpu is slower therefor more simple tasks tax it higher. Not that it matters becuase the gpu doesn't use much power at all.

so no , leave the gpus alone.

Your laptop is going to choose the integrated graphics.."GPU 1, AMD Radeon" over the dedicated NVIDIA graphics because you don't need the dedicated for the task you are doing. The laptop will automatically switch between both to suit your task and be as energy efficient as possible...some laptops have software where you can select which graphics you want it to "force" use. But typically out of the box, they are set to an automatic setting. If you did open up a game or something that requires higher graphics processing, it would automatically utilize the dedicated graphics if not both. So its doing its job as its supposed to do. You don't have to worry. All computers have to have either integrated graphics, or dedicated....or both. They have to have one, the other, or both..but not none.

50 minutes ago, nick2002 said:

Your laptop is going to choose the integrated graphics.."GPU 1, AMD Radeon" over the dedicated NVIDIA graphics because you don't need the dedicated for the task you are doing. The laptop will automatically switch between both to suit your task and be as energy efficient as possible...some laptops have software where you can select which graphics you want it to "force" use. But typically out of the box, they are set to an automatic setting. If you did open up a game or something that requires higher graphics processing, it would automatically utilize the dedicated graphics if not both. So its doing its job as its supposed to do. You don't have to worry. All computers have to have either integrated graphics, or dedicated....or both. They have to have one, the other, or both..but not none.

yeah, but like i said i rarely play games on that laptop so letting the AMD GPU doing all the light tasks feel like a waste for not using any NVIDIA graphic, sometimes i feel like it's slow down too because i've use it for hours or so

2 hours ago, Alibabaa said:

yeah, but like i said i rarely play games on that laptop so letting the AMD GPU doing all the light tasks feel like a waste for not using any NVIDIA graphic, sometimes i feel like it's slow down too because i've use it for hours or so

Because nothing you do needs the dedicated graphics.

Let's say you have 2 cars......one is a small car with a 1 litre engine and the other is a 7 litre supercar.

Would it make sense to take the 7 litre supercar 5 minutes down the road to pick up the milk?

It's the same with a GPU , Your graphics card is not needed so it uses the integrated GPU to save power.

If your computer is slow it's because of other factors not the GPU.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

On 1/30/2024 at 6:19 AM, Alibabaa said:

Do you like only have 8gb of ram or something?

Disabling the igpu is most likely not possible as most laptops use it as a throughput for display on the internal screen.

If you do force it somehow good chance your laptop just stops working

18 hours ago, jaslion said:

Do you like only have 8gb of ram or something?

Disabling the igpu is most likely not possible as most laptops use it as a throughput for display on the internal screen.

If you do force it somehow good chance your laptop just stops working

my laptop have 16GB ram thought, i think i'll just let it automatically