Dipping my toes in the water of building

Budget (including currency): upgrading budget about $900 US 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Other details I bought a pre built system a year and a half or so ago. It is a an hp omen 30L with a

-rtx 3060 ti

-ryzen 7 5800x

-16gb of of ddr4-3200 xmp ram

-1 tb m.2 nvme SSD 

-motherboard honestly unsure what it is

-750 watt power supply 

-single fan aio cooler 

I am thinking of buying some faster/higher capacity ram, a better CPU cooler, a graphics card such as a 4070, and a case and making a bit of a Frankenstein build with the other components I already have. I've been getting started on PC part picker and watching Linus drop copious amount of ram sticks so I'm not 100% in the dark.

I'm sure there are many things I will probably overlook and run into when I'm trying to build this. Is this a terrible idea? Do I need a new power supply? Is there a compatibility issue that's glaring? Would I be better of selling the whole system and starting over? My main goal here is to upgrade my system for better 1440 gaming and get the experience of building a PC. Would greatly appreciate any advice or constructive criticism, thanks.

IMG20240129193401.jpg

Getting a pic of the PSU and posting it here (or finding out what model it is specifically) would be nice.

A 4070 would be a nice drop in upgrade, as would be more RAM. I would suggest buying an entirely new kit of RAM though, if you want more. Mixing and matching kits tends to lead to stability nightmares if you're even slightly unlucky.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

22 minutes ago, Crustyhamsandwhich said:

Budget (including currency): upgrading budget about $900 US 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Other details I bought a pre built system a year and a half or so ago. It is a an hp omen 30L with a

-rtx 3060 ti

-ryzen 7 5800x

-1 tb m.2 nvme SSD 

-motherboard honestly unsure what it is

-750 watt power supply 

-single fan aio cooler 

I am thinking of buying some faster/higher capacity ram, a better CPU cooler, a graphics card such as a 4070, and a case and making a bit of a Frankenstein build with the other components I already have. I've been getting started on PC part picker and watching Linus drop copious amount of ram sticks so I'm not 100% in the dark.

I'm sure there are many things I will probably overlook and run into when I'm trying to build this. Is this a terrible idea? Do I need a new power supply? Is there a compatibility issue that's glaring? Would I be better of selling the whole system and starting over? My main goal here is to upgrade my system for better 1440 gaming and get the experience of building a PC. Would greatly appreciate any advice or constructive criticism, thanks.

A 750w is plenty for a 5800x and a 4070.  They do sometimes cheap out on PSU's in Pre-Builts so as mentioned by @TheRandomness  Getting a specific model name would go a long way.

I run a 750w with my 7700x and overclocked 4080.

As a CPU cooler I could recommend the Peerless Assassin SE120 over a 120mm AIO.

2 hours ago, Crustyhamsandwhich said:

Does the thing even support xmp? Or are these just jedec 3200c22 sticks?

If theyre jedec theyre bare pcb and all you have to do is look at the part number and find rams with the same part number usually from ppl selling a buncha rams

If theyre xmp you can use a similar approach with getting matching sticks in oem form, just check thaiphoon burner for ram ic and find an oem bare pcb with that same ic, for example hynix djr you can either buy hma81gu6djr8n for 4x8 or hma82gu6djr8n for 2x8 + 2x16 (48gb) in cursed tri rank and still be guaranteed compatibility due to same ram ics, yes xmp included so the stock 3200 xmp should run without issue, if theyre samsung 8gbit d die or whatever other samsung die you look for that equivalent (m378a1k43db2 or m378a2k43db1 for 8gbit d die)

3 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

Getting a pic of the PSU and posting it here (or finding out what model it is specifically) would be nice.

A 4070 would be a nice drop in upgrade, as would be more RAM. I would suggest buying an entirely new kit of RAM though, if you want more. Mixing and matching kits tends to lead to stability nightmares if you're even slightly unlucky.

Attaching a pic of the PSU. Also I appreciate the advice on ram, I figured it will be a while new kit as well

IMG20240129192947.jpg

3 hours ago, Hinjima said:

A 750w is plenty for a 5800x and a 4070.  They do sometimes cheap out on PSU's in Pre-Builts so as mentioned by @TheRandomness  Getting a specific model name would go a long way.

I run a 750w with my 7700x and overclocked 4080.

As a CPU cooler I could recommend the Peerless Assassin SE120 over a 120mm AIO.

I attached a pic of the PSU to the reply from @TheRandomness . Thanks for the cooler recommendation! 

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Does the thing even support xmp? Or are these just jedec 3200c22 sticks?

If theyre jedec theyre bare pcb and all you have to do is look at the part number and find rams with the same part number usually from ppl selling a buncha rams

If theyre xmp you can use a similar approach with getting matching sticks in oem form, just check thaiphoon burner for ram ic and find an oem bare pcb with that same ic, for example hynix djr you can either buy hma81gu6djr8n for 4x8 or hma82gu6djr8n for 2x8 + 2x16 (48gb) in cursed tri rank and still be guaranteed compatibility due to same ram ics, yes xmp included so the stock 3200 xmp should run without issue, if theyre samsung 8gbit d die or whatever other samsung die you look for that equivalent (m378a1k43db2 or m378a2k43db1 for 8gbit d die)

Gonna be honest most that went over my head haha. Working on understanding all that but I appreciate the feedback.