Asus TUF FX505DV doesn’t use dgpu

So I just bought the laptop in title and noticed it is not using dgpu (RTX2060) in games. I’m getting around 30-60 fps in games with a tender latency being around 70 ms (very high). I tried all the nvidia options that should make the laptop use dgpu but nothing. I tried fumark bench the gpu and I get 30-40 fps. Then I decided to use heaven benchmark using the dx11 option and everything on highest settings. The result was 110-150 fps, and render latency was by some miracle 5-7 ms. No stuttering or anything. In the games completely different results. My guess is that there is something wrong with Optimus since I don’t have mux switch. Did anyone have some problem like this?

It sounds like you already tried this, but did you set the preferred graphics device in Nvidia control panel?

3D settings - manage 3D settings - click program settings tab - global settings tab - find your Nvidia card, select it and hit apply

Check in msi afterburner.

Also is this a used device?

1 hour ago, Harmsway1283 said:

It sounds like you already tried this, but did you set the preferred graphics device in Nvidia control panel?

3D settings - manage 3D settings - click program settings tab - global settings tab - find your Nvidia card, select it and hit apply

Yeah tried it already…

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Check in msi afterburner.

Also is this a used device?

It is used, but as new. I’m thinking the thermal throttle might be the problem if thermal paste wasn’t changed. But it works great in heaven benchmark…

I will try fresh windows installation with drivers, and if that doesn’t work, then I will disassemble it to check thermal paste. And yeah I checked in Msi afterburner, it reads it and everything. I will proceed at home with tests since I got external Monitor

4 minutes ago, Veber said:

It is used, but as new. I’m thinking the thermal throttle might be the problem if thermal paste wasn’t changed. But it works great in heaven benchmark…

I will try fresh windows installation with drivers, and if that doesn’t work, then I will disassemble it to check thermal paste. And yeah I checked in Msi afterburner, it reads it and everything. I will proceed at home with tests since I got external Monitor

What temp is it running at?

1 hour ago, Veber said:

Don't disasemble.

First reinstall windows if thatd oesnt work to make the gpu go return its probably sefective

2 hours ago, jaslion said:

What temp is it running at?

It runs at 75 degrees Celsius, nothing too wild. The usage of gpu is on 100% in Heaven benchmark and it gets great score, only problem is in games and other benchmarks. I don’t think the gpu is defective, most likely software problem, maybe the ssd is faulty and it lost some data?

3 minutes ago, Veber said:

It runs at 75 degrees Celsius, nothing too wild. The usage of gpu is on 100% in Heaven benchmark and it gets great score, only problem is in games and other benchmarks. I don’t think the gpu is defective, most likely software problem, maybe the ssd is faulty and it lost some data?

No id do a FRESH install of windows.

Meaning creating a bootable windows usb directly from the microsoft bootable usb maker, wipe everything once booted into it and do a fresh install fully keeping nothing (custom install is the option and delete all partitions)

11 hours ago, jaslion said:

No id do a FRESH install of windows.

Meaning creating a bootable windows usb directly from the microsoft bootable usb maker, wipe everything once booted into it and do a fresh install fully keeping nothing (custom install is the option and delete all partitions)

Did a fresh install, now it runs as it should. After windows install, first thing I did was installing all the fresh drivers, and then I installed Asus Armoury Crate. Now it works as it should, just it has. Render latency of up to 60 ms. I will look into that after work.

56 minutes ago, Veber said:

Did a fresh install, now it runs as it should. After windows install, first thing I did was installing all the fresh drivers, and then I installed Asus Armoury Crate. Now it works as it should, just it has. Render latency of up to 60 ms. I will look into that after work.

Ok so id get rid of armory crate for a sec just to see.

Good that its now working was asuming it was a random recovery windows or mass deployed basic windows install eith issues