need help choosing a GPU for my i7 4790

dreamcast4599

so im building a pc based around the i7 4790, and im using a Thermaltake Smart 700W 80+ White Certified PSU. i know not the best psu but its all i could afford at the time. im looking for a high end gpu something era appropriate meaning a 1080Ti or an RX590 is about as high as i wanna go i plan to buy used off ebay doom 2016 and doom eternal and stray are the 3 most demanding games im gonna play screen res will be a 17 inch TFT display with a resolution of 1280x1024 this is the only monitor i have and i cant afford a 1080p display if it matters for the more demanding games im thinking medium-medium high settings below is a link to my psu if you wanna scope out the specs what do you all recommend budget 120 max for a used gpu

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014W3EAX8?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

71DxfH1iRvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71UbEAW8xsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

81Gux+34ajL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

810F-ABK6IL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I had few year ago same CPU with RTX 2080 can say that in some case it bottleneck. You should looking something that have below RTX 2080 performance. Anyway if you want Nvidia don't buy anything below RTX series GTX series is dead. Depends how many you can spend is better build new PC you still can keep PSU, cooling, fans, case , SSD from old PC. Because that CPU is actually bottleneck due it very old and it still use DDR3 RAM

Id just get a rx580/480 8gn and call it quits there. They are 80$ or less

2 hours ago, dreamcast4599 said:

so im building a pc based around the i7 4790, and im using a Thermaltake Smart 700W 80+ White Certified PSU. i know not the best psu but its all i could afford at the time. im looking for a high end gpu something era appropriate meaning a 1080Ti or an RX590 is about as high as i wanna go i plan to buy used off ebay doom 2016 and doom eternal and stray are the 3 most demanding games im gonna play screen res will be a 17 inch TFT display with a resolution of 1280x1024 this is the only monitor i have and i cant afford a 1080p display if it matters for the more demanding games im thinking medium-medium high settings below is a link to my psu if you wanna scope out the specs what do you all recommend budget 120 max for a used gpu

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014W3EAX8?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

71DxfH1iRvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71UbEAW8xsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

81Gux+34ajL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

810F-ABK6IL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

rx590, 2060(super/nonsuper),1070/1070ti, 1080 8gb, 5600xt, 5700, 5700xt.

Those are some pretty neat cards that you can find used on ebay for ~140 - 200 usd. Also pretty ok with that cpu. It's gonna hold them back a bit but it shouldn't be too much. rx590 is kinda low cost. think it's about ~100usd. you might also be able to find something in the 1060/580/570/480/470 range. should be somewhat decent and at the very least play the games you mentioned.

For that cpu, the highest you can go are every 10 series, RX 500 series, at least a 2060 or a 6600xt. The lowest you should go are like 1060 6gb but I would recommend rx 570/580 or even rx 480 at least. As for your PSU, it should be able to handle any of those GPUs. Personally, I can't really suggest a specific gpu to you as, we don't know where you're from and don't know the prices used gpus are going for in your area.

I'm actually more concern with your monitor and the resolution that you are going to game at. Just an advice. If you do get the highest gpu that cpu can pair with, with the less bottleneck, increase the resolution to 1080p, even if your actual monitor is 1280x1024.

13 hours ago, dreamcast4599 said:

@kitnoman im in the usa im torn between an rx 480 8gig or an rx 570 4gig

If only between the two at almost the same price, get the 480 8gb. that's like the same card with 4gb more vram.

2 hours ago, smthclever said:

You can get a used RX 6600 on Ebay for $120 quite often, it is unparalleled at that price, and it doesn't make sense to spend any more than that for an older generation card. Separately, you may be able to get a 1080p monitor at your local Goodwill, etc., for close to free.

If 6600 or 6600xt or 6650tx are right around $120-180. Then, this is the best choice. RX 400/500 were great mining cards. Not only are they old now, to the point of humors they will lose driver support soon. There's a very high chance that whatever you buy now might have been heavily mined on. Personally, I really don't mind using a card that's been used on mining. But that depends if the original owner knows how to mine the right way.

Edit: more on mined cards. So even if the gpu was well maintained and taken care of. Meaning, it was not push to the extreme to get the highest hashrate, but set up so that it won't go over 50-60c temp and undervolted and even regularly cleaned too. In all likelihood, those cards' silicon/chip could be in a better condition than gpus that were overclocked, not cleaned regularly and on cases that was not well ventilated. Which were a lot during those times, mesh cases weren't really popular or expensive during the 10 series/rx 500 come out. So either those 400/500 cards are old gaming card or a relatively new 480/580/570 that come out during the mining bull run, regardless, you might be looking at gpu fans that are at it's limit. So the actual gpu could be in good condition but the fans are not. So you might need to service and replace them. It's actually easy if you have the tools and know where to get the parts. All you need is a video guide and confidence. What I'm saying is. Given that all these cards might have been used for mining(including the the rx 6000 series), age,  driver support and condition and performance, a 6600 really might be the best. Specially if the rx 400/500 cards are at $70-100, while 6600 are at $100-120. It would be newer,  would have a longer driver support and the most import almost double the gaming performance for the extra $20-40.

Edited by kitnoman