Workstation as gaming entry level?

DistiIsCoding

I'm more than on a budget. While looking for cheaper alternatives i came across a series of blogs and videos about using workstation as entry level in gaming. That's what i am pretty much looking for, enough to play at minimum or medium graphics without spending too much, and for me too much is more than 200/250€. I found the HP z420 (around 150€ on eBay) as an ideal candidate but i would like to know if any of you have similar alternatives that may perform equally or even better at the same price. Note that i am going to upgrade gpu and ram, even cpu if i stay in range with the budget (everything is going to be second hand :P)

Let me know :D

The Z420 isn't bad if it's a newer at least 6th gen i5 or higher, I've seen those for within your budget pretty regularly. Do you know which CPU this particular Z420 has in it. Also is this the SFF(small form factor) version? If it is it may not have a PCIE power connector coming off of the power supply so you will need to get a dedicated GPU that doesn't require external power. Also if it is the SFF version you will need to purchase a low profile GPU as it will not support full size cards. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

6 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

The Z420 isn't bad if it's a newer at least 6th gen i5 or higher, I've seen those for within your budget pretty regularly. Do you know which CPU this particular Z420 has in it. Also is this the SFF(small form factor) version? If it is it may not have a PCIE power connector coming off of the power supply so you will need to get a dedicated GPU that doesn't require external power. Also if it is the SFF version you will need to purchase a low profile GPU as it will not support full size cards. 

CPU Its a Intel Xeon E5 1620 v2. As for now i saw different builds with GT1030, GTX970, GTX760

Just now, DistiIsCoding said:

CPU Its a Intel Xeon E5 1620 v2. As for now i saw different builds with GT1030, GTX970, GTX760

I recommend buying the GPU separately,

A RX 480 8GB is a good entry option.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

I wouldn’t, considering how much single core performance has increased over the years after the popularity of those ivy bridge Xeons. They made a lot more sense for budget builds in old workstations years ago.

But you can get coffee lake office pcs like an optiplex 7060 mt with an i5 8500 in them now for under $200, which runs circles around aforementioned 1620 v2 with half the power draw, and gives you ddr4 and nvme ssd support.

The only major difference is being limited in the choice of GPU, since the old workstations will have a psu with at least a 6 pin, and some molex, allowing for decent used cards like higher end pascal. 
But then the office pcs with the newer processors you’re limited to slot power only, which to be fair these days is still some pretty decent options, but you top out at like an RX 6400 or arc A380 instead of a GTX 1080.

25 minutes ago, DistiIsCoding said:

Not worth, I wouldn't go for an older Xeon like that. Unless you're looking to play PC specific games, with your budget, a console may be a better option or saving up a little more and getting something actually worth the money.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |