Never used a traditonal controller in my life, what did I miss out on?

VirusDumb

So I was watching the latest game theory video, it was about introducing babies and non gamers ("If you've even played sudoku on your phone, you're a gamer"- PewDiePie) to video games, I decided to watch it and was watching cuz it's entertaining and last of the game theories from matpat, but I suddenly realised, I've never played a game with a controller, I have never owned a console, I grew up playing games on my PC and phone, most were Single Player games from early 2000s and the only multiplayers I played were shooters and strategy games, did i miss out on too much? Also should I get a cheap controller as my first controller to try out what i missed out on

yea of course. you're not missing out on much, but its definitely a whole new thing playing on a controller, and getting used to it will bring some joy to you. Same with me though I don't use controller anymore, it will at least give you a short term enjoyment

"IF DREW DIDN'T FILM IT, THEN IT AIN'T FILMED RIGHT" 🥶

If you want to get a controller for Windows, get the latest Xbox controller and buy a USB wireless adapter for it. You will soon realize that some games just play better with a controller than with mouse and keyboard.

Even on PC i'm pretty much 50/50 between the different input devices.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I saw that video too. It made me feel old. The earlier controllers were much more simple than current console ones. My brain is not wired to cope with buttons everywhere on a controller. If you treat the analog sticks as if they were a D-pad, there's over 22 buttons on a modern controller. I grew up with just the D-pad, up to a few buttons, and maybe a start button of some kind.

Some games can be more comfortable on a controller than keyboard + mouse. Possibly in part because many games are designed with console play in mind. Looking forward to Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth release on Friday, and that is a controller game as far as I'm concerned even though I got it on Steam.

Other games I prefer to play on k+m, like Genshin Impact for example. This might be more a case of what I'm used to than any particular advantage. I do occasionally try it on PS5 but I'm way slower at doing things. Just can't build up that muscle memory fast enough.

A wired Xbox clone controller is possibly the cheapest way to give it a try with best Windows compatibility. I prefer the PS style controllers but they can be more work to configure for some games.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I'm kinda in the same boat, played some sims with a (poor) joystick in the early 90s, some GameCube and Switch games with kids early 2000s,  but then only used K+M up to 3 years ago, bought a XBox wireless controller, and man I suck with this !! 😄

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

it depends on the game, some 3rd person shooters for example are much easier with controller (old Resident Evil games for example) but mostly mkb is better because its more precise using a mouse than a tiny wobbly "joystick".

also fighting games are definitely more intuitive with a controller even though a keyboard can work just as well (basically it becomes a "hitbox" then, yeap, that's the technical term)

for me i just use controller 99% because i did so all my life and can't get used to kbm *at all*... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, PDifolco said:

bought a XBox wireless controller, and man I suck with this

you can play fighting games or rhythm games... that's how you'll memorize everything and train muscle memory...

but, tbf, xbox dpad sucks, so that might not be the most useful tip. 😅

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

There are lot's of advantages to a controller. 

While subjective, certain genres are much more comfortable to play with a controller, like racing games, and arguably fighting games, etc.

And while M/KB are more accurate in an FPS, for many games you may not care about getting maximum frags. Especially in single player. Having analog movement is probably the biggest benefit in my mind. Especially for things like stealth mechanics.

Also, having analog triggers/sticks and force feedback can lead to some fun and immersive mechanics for things like lock picking, etc.

Really, the main benefits to kb/m is simply the mouse accuracy for competitive games, and the plethora of extra keys you can bind. My least favorite aspect is using the keyboard for movement.

But otherwise, yeah, controller is great for almost any purpose. Especially in a more relaxed situation, and for games designed around it. Definitely worth having one around, I'd say.

49 minutes ago, Holmes108 said:

Really, the main benefits to kb/m is simply the mouse accuracy for competitive games, and the plethora of extra keys you can bind. My least favorite aspect is using the keyboard for movement.

yup... mouse is obviously superior... but kb... ? omg...

there's usually a gazillion buttons you have to memorize and accurately hit without even looking?? 

i get it, with practice its doable,  but it'll always be the clunkiest, most unintuitive thing to me lol

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity