My MoBo suddenly stopped working with 4 sticks of RAM

mcRYSHER
Go to solution Solved by problemsolver,
11 hours ago, mcRYSHER said:

Hi, thank you for reply.

The fact is that I built my computer in 2019. Until the fall of 2023 I never had any problems. Given these circumstances, is it possible that the reason is still a compatibility issue?

I'd say it's not as likely if the computer has been in the same spot, never moved, temperature and humidity has been stable and you haven't messed with the case.

It's also possible as Robchill said that the BIOS update caused it, but the only way to know that for sure is to roll-back the BIOS and boot Windows etc. as WhatIsThis suggested. If you do that, check the CSM settings, TPM settings and Secure Boot settings, as that may be why Windows won't boot.

I tend to agree with Robchill that if you:

• Update the BIOS
  • Clear the CMOS
  • For good measure, you can unplug the whole PC and hold down the power button for 30 seconds then plug it back in
  • Make sure Fast Startup is disabled (if that's an option on the TRX boards) as it may just be a RAM training issue.

But since you're removed and re-installed the RAM, make sure you've got it all just right as contact issues with both the CPU and DIMMs are a very common problem with this motherboard. (just Google it to see what I mean).

Hey guys!

About four months ago my ASUS TRX40 pro stopped working with 4 sticks of RAM (Corsair Dominator 4x16gb @3200 mhz). All four sticks are good, I tested all of them one by one. My mobo works either with 1 stick or 2 sticks. If I put four sticks my mobo shows C5 error (memory error). My PC is 5 years old and everything used to be fine with it.

I have to say that I did a BIOS update prior to the problem, but I am not sure if I did it right before the problem appeared.

Any advice is appreciated!

Could be a bent pin under the section of the CPU that's dedicated to the memory controller. I've had that happen before. Could also be a dead slot. Did you try known good RAM in each slot on the board?

If that all works but the board still isn't accepting four DIMMs, you might try rolling back the BIOS and seeing if the problem persists. If it does, I'd wager there's some kind of damage to the board.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

40 minutes ago, mcRYSHER said:

Hey guys!

About four months ago my ASUS TRX40 pro stopped working with 4 sticks of RAM (Corsair Dominator 4x16gb @3200 mhz). All four sticks are good, I tested all of them one by one. My mobo works either with 1 stick or 2 sticks. If I put four sticks my mobo shows C5 error (memory error). My PC is 5 years old and everything used to be fine with it.

I have to say that I did a BIOS update prior to the problem, but I am not sure if I did it right before the problem appeared.

Any advice is appreciated!

Go back to an older BIOS 

On 1/21/2024 at 9:17 PM, aisle9 said:

Did you try known good RAM in each slot on the board?

Hi, man! I tried it today and PC loaded just fine. It seems like the problem only appears when I use 4 sticks of RAM. I wonder if it is related to BIOS somehow?

2 hours ago, mcRYSHER said:

Hi, man! I tried it today and PC loaded just fine. It seems like the problem only appears when I use 4 sticks of RAM. I wonder if it is related to BIOS somehow?

Roll back the bios and see if that fixes it.

Ok, now things have got even more weird.

So, I rolled back to an early BIOS and my Win11 stopped loading. I had no other choice but to get back to the latest version of BIOS. Win11 loaded fine.

Here are things I tried:

1. I tried to use 1 single stick into A1 slot. PC did not load, I got D0 error on Q-code.

2. I plugged in 3 sticks in quad channel order, except for A1 slot. PC did load correctly.

3. I plugged the last stick into a problematic A1 slot. And.... PC loaded absolutely fine!

Activating D.O.C.P. leads to unbootable PC though. Anyway, I am happy that the problem basically solved. I don't know the reason, but whatever.

On 1/23/2024 at 10:00 AM, mcRYSHER said:

Ok, now things have got even more weird.

So, I rolled back to an early BIOS and my Win11 stopped loading. I had no other choice but to get back to the latest version of BIOS. Win11 loaded fine.

This may be due to a TPM setting change (from on by default to off) or a Secure Boot default/CSM default change.

On 1/23/2024 at 10:00 AM, mcRYSHER said:

Here are things I tried:

1. I tried to use 1 single stick into A1 slot. PC did not load, I got D0 error on Q-code.

Looks like it's likely that the CPU and/or RAM is not seated properly... many other people have had issues like this. I just picked 3 comments:

[SOLVED] RAM failure with threadripper build - ASUS Hardware (spiceworks.com)

There is approximately a 117% chance I edited my post.

Please refresh before you reply.

Did a post solve your issue?  Please mark it as the solution!

13 hours ago, problemsolver said:

Looks like it's likely that the CPU and or RAM is not seated properly... many other people have had issues like this. I just picked 3 comments:

Hi, thank you for reply.

The fact is that I built my computer in 2019. Until the fall of 2023 I never had any problems. Given these circumstances, is it possible that the reason is still a compatibility issue?

6 minutes ago, mcRYSHER said:

Hi, thank you for reply.

sounds more like a fubar bios update... did you reset bios after update?. it will need to retrain memory etc. 

11 hours ago, mcRYSHER said:

Hi, thank you for reply.

I'd say it's not as likely if the computer has been in the same spot, never moved, temperature and humidity has been stable and you haven't messed with the case.

It's also possible as Robchill said that the BIOS update caused it, but the only way to know that for sure is to roll-back the BIOS and boot Windows etc. as WhatIsThis suggested. If you do that, check the CSM settings, TPM settings and Secure Boot settings, as that may be why Windows won't boot.

I tend to agree with Robchill that if you:

• Update the BIOS
  • Clear the CMOS
  • For good measure, you can unplug the whole PC and hold down the power button for 30 seconds then plug it back in
  • Make sure Fast Startup is disabled (if that's an option on the TRX boards) as it may just be a RAM training issue.

But since you're removed and re-installed the RAM, make sure you've got it all just right as contact issues with both the CPU and DIMMs are a very common problem with this motherboard. (just Google it to see what I mean).

There is approximately a 117% chance I edited my post.

Please refresh before you reply.

Did a post solve your issue?  Please mark it as the solution!