PC for genera use and backups etc

Budget (including currency):  any

I am building a PC for my dad who is mainly gonna be using it for backups and general use. He wanted to go a little over kill as he does do some applications which require more memory and CPU.

He need's a bit of space so I have speced out more storage slots for down the road.
This is what I have done on PC Part Picker. What do you guys think?

https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/Htbxt7

I have a spare GPU which is why I didn't include one in the build

Thanks,

12 hours ago, Charmeleonnz said:

Budget (including currency):  any

I am building a PC for my dad who is mainly gonna be using it for backups and general use. He wanted to go a little over kill as he does do some applications which require more memory and CPU.

He need's a bit of space so I have speced out more storage slots for down the road.
This is what I have done on PC Part Picker. What do you guys think?

https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/Htbxt7

I have a spare GPU which is why I didn't include one in the build

Thanks,

The CPU is overkill.

Sixty-four GB of memory is overkill.

The cooler is suboptimal for the CPU.

The motherboard is mATX and will look small in the ATX case.

Consider something a bit less expensive.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13500 2.5 GHz 14-Core Processor  ($445.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AG500 ARGB 67.88 CFM CPU Cooler  ($51.23 @ Aquila Technology) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG B760 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($385.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($199.00 @ Computer Lounge) 
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($596.73 @ Paradigm PCs) 
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($183.00 @ ExtremePC) 
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($205.85 @ PB Technologies) 
Total: $2065.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-21 16:52 NZDT+1300

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

I'd just get him a used gmaing PC and I promise it'll be more than enough for whatever he's doing, and you could sell whatever GPU it has.  Outside of 3D, video work, or gaming, all the new stuff is beyond overkill even for that stuff.  If you must buy new, this would be more than enough.  Outside of the uses I stateed earlier, almost nothing is gonna come even close to maxing out more than a few threads or 32GB of memory.  The concept of 'more intense' for this stuff, means a dual-core laptop with 8GB of RAM or a tablet might go slow with it:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($248.40 @ PB Technologies) 
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($199.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($115.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Storage: TEAMGROUP MP33 PRO 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($87.99 @ ExtremePC) 
Case: Deepcool Wave V2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($51.23 @ Aquila Technology) 
Power Supply: Deepcool PF450 230V 450 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($58.32 @ Aquila Technology) 
Case Fan: Deepcool XFAN 44.71 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($14.09 @ PB Technologies) 
Total: $774.03
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-21 19:54 NZDT+1300

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

19 hours ago, brob said:

The CPU is overkill.

Sixty-four GB of memory is overkill.

The cooler is suboptimal for the CPU.

The motherboard is mATX and will look small in the ATX case.

Consider something a bit less expensive.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13500 2.5 GHz 14-Core Processor  ($445.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AG500 ARGB 67.88 CFM CPU Cooler  ($51.23 @ Aquila Technology) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG B760 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($385.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($199.00 @ Computer Lounge) 
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($596.73 @ Paradigm PCs) 
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($183.00 @ ExtremePC) 
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($205.85 @ PB Technologies) 
Total: $2065.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-21 16:52 NZDT+1300

Thanks for the list. Your right it probably is a little overkill. I like the build you have. The only issue is does the addional 8 pin EPS matter? Or do I upgrade the power supply? Compared to the one I built it's only saving $300 which I thought was not a lot considering.

16 hours ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

I'd just get him a used gmaing PC and I promise it'll be more than enough for whatever he's doing, and you could sell whatever GPU it has.  Outside of 3D, video work, or gaming, all the new stuff is beyond overkill even for that stuff.  If you must buy new, this would be more than enough.  Outside of the uses I stateed earlier, almost nothing is gonna come even close to maxing out more than a few threads or 32GB of memory.  The concept of 'more intense' for this stuff, means a dual-core laptop with 8GB of RAM or a tablet might go slow with it:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($248.40 @ PB Technologies) 
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($199.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($115.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Storage: TEAMGROUP MP33 PRO 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($87.99 @ ExtremePC) 
Case: Deepcool Wave V2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($51.23 @ Aquila Technology) 
Power Supply: Deepcool PF450 230V 450 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($58.32 @ Aquila Technology) 
Case Fan: Deepcool XFAN 44.71 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($14.09 @ PB Technologies) 
Total: $774.03
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-21 19:54 NZDT+1300

Thanks, he is looking for a new PC just cause of warranties and should last longer. I will go 32GB memory, your right 64GB is overkill. I am getting a better processor as he has like a trillion tabs open with 100 programs running.

25 minutes ago, Charmeleonnz said:

Thanks for the list. Your right it probably is a little overkill. I like the build you have. The only issue is does the addional 8 pin EPS matter? Or do I upgrade the power supply? Compared to the one I built it's only saving $300 which I thought was not a lot considering.

The additional 8-pin power is mostly window dressing on that motherboard. It won't be needed. There is nothing wrong with moving up to a 750W ATX 3.0 PSU which would likely have two EPS power connectors.

The relatively small price differential is due mostly to the motherboard. Good DDR5 ATX motherboards are still relatively expensive. One could probably shave a few hundred more moving to a less capable mATX motherboard and mATX cae.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

2 hours ago, Charmeleonnz said:

should last longer.

not a thing with desktops.  You could pull out a PC from the 90s and as long as the storage media wasn't damaged, the rest of the system would work exactly the same as the day you bought it, so long as you were running the same software.

2 hours ago, Charmeleonnz said:

like a trillion tabs open with 100 programs running

a modern 6-core will still handle all of that easily.  People were doing that on dual-cores that ran half as fast as the cores on today's CPUs, and it worked.  no matter how many tabs you have open, only a few are ever active, your browser and windows will page the rest.  High core-count (8+) CPUs are made for rendering video quickly or doing CPU stream encoding without interfering with a AAA game.  Or servers.  

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.