Information regarding old PC

_ADY_

I have a very old Dell Computer, with lga775 motherboard, Intel core 2 duo, and 3 gb ram. There seems to be an issue with the stock PSU and it won't start. Earlier  it would switch on and off by itself but now it's completely dead. I have checked the the power cord and it works fine. So finally I decided to go for another power supply . I was looking for some cheap options just to make my desktop work. I came across a zebacronics 450 watt psu but I am not sure if it is compatible with my computer.

Link for the psu I have doubts about:  https://amzn.eu/d/9y77se7

Also attached is the old psu(relic)

20240120_184814.jpg

8 minutes ago, _ADY_ said:

I have a very old Dell Computer, with lga775 motherboard, Intel core 2 duo, and 3 gb ram. There seems to be an issue with the stock PSU and it won't start. Earlier  it would switch on and off by itself but now it's completely dead. I have checked the the power cord and it works fine. So finally I decided to go for another power supply . I was looking for some cheap options just to make my desktop work. I came across a zebacronics 450 watt psu but I am not sure if it is compatible with my computer.

Even if the new power supply physically fits, it may not work without adapter cables. 

Very carefully compare the motherboard power connector (P1) against the standard ATX power connector. If they're exactly the same, the power supply you found could work.

You may have to try and find another one of those stock power supplies, Dell part number H059N.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

13 minutes ago, _ADY_ said:

Link for the psu I have doubts about:  https://amzn.eu/d/9y77se7

Also attached is the old psu(relic)

20240120_184814.jpg

Your PC is basically ewaste now why bother getting another crap PSU?

Get a new PC 

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

5 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Your PC is basically ewaste now why bother getting another crap PSU?

Get a new PC 

I assumed budget is a concern, since they linked to a power supply that costs the equivalent of $8 USD.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

13 minutes ago, E-waste said:

Most CPUs don't idle above about 2 Ghz.  It's not about cpu speed anymore, and makes zero noticable difference in most tasks.  A 2.2 or 3 Ghz processor is far more than just barely enough, or almost tolerable performance.

What truly defines computer performance now is memory performance (I think ddr 2 is totally usable and acceptable) and disk access, which can be improved with a new 4K blocksize hard disk, or a 60 GB ssd as boot disk, and leave all programs and non-operating system data on the spinning magnetic disk.

Phoronix has multiple decades for performance reviews for hardware on both Windows and Linux, so look through the archives and see how much hardware performance has improved.  It's over 6x or more, for processors today vs about 15 years ago, but will that REALLY force you to buy a new pc used for opening a web browser, playing a video, or printing a document?

It won't perform with new gpu-heavy software, but I bet an old core2duo can still play GTA V from 2014.  You just need a GPU on par with what is in an xbox 360  Just because you assume a machine will be slow or unusable, doesn't make it fact.

Would you say that the xbox 360 version of gta v is less enjoyable due to the simplistic graphical effects and reduced ground detail?  Or is it 100% as fun?  How much influence does the graphical detail of a game, have on your enjoyment of playing it and does it go as far to outweigh game design or mechanics?

If you want to see e-waste in action, go look at the joe rogan episode #1914, and understand it.  I can't support the computer / technology industry, until it improves.  This is how we treat other groups of people to create a tool?

China has a part in this, owning 80% of all the cobalt mines in the congo since 2006.  But we as consumers, that are not educated on what's really going on in the world, just do what Microsoft tells us to do, and when they say to buy a new PC that's what we do.

Linux doesn't have reliable or comparable hardware support, or didn't, for two decades, but that is getting better.  It wasn't an easy option to switch, and is still not without absolutely severe compromise.  I wonder what the world would be like if Microsoft didn't develop DOS, or Windows, but instead based it all on UNIX.  I think they intentionally wanted the software to be 100% incompatible to create their software monopoly that has existed since 1995.  Well they got it.  I think it's the same reason AMD / Intel are no longer compatible in motheboards anymore.  And why does there need to be so many different cpu sockets?  Is it just unlimited, unmanaged monetary greed?

When a new game software is released that requires more GPU memory, we just upgrade the gpu without a thought, it's just what we do.

We don't think, or even worse, completely unaware of the severe human rights violations happening on another continent, that we've never been to, and will probably never care to visit.  It's too inconvenient.  And humans HATE inconvenience.  That's why we have computers and machines, going back all the way to over 10 millenia ago or further.  Machines are the way of the human race, and that is who we are and will always be.

From the arrow, to the missle, to the robot to the terminator takeover, machines are in our DNA.  I'm saying, if this is who we are, let's make machines and tools without abusing other groups of humans.  Due to the nearly unlivable conditions in Africa in these areas, children are being born with physical and mental issues, caused by the toxic minerals the entire population is exposed to.  The women work in the toxic mineral water pits with babies on their backs.  This cannot be the way forward for our human race.  I'm thinking artificial intelligence will figure it out before we ever will, which will just create increasing demand for more copper cobalt and circuit boards, until we eventually change.

We won't stop large money-addicted corporations from demanding more hardware, we don't have that ability as consumers, never have and there is no reason to ever have it in the future.  But what are we doing as individuals on our computers that is important and needs to be done as quickly as the fastest available processors can provide, that we would be in danger or in a state of unhealth, if we do not have a new, high-performance pc?

Games?  I think we reached our peak in PC games from about 1997.  Both PC and some console games were basically as advanced as games today.  You have all you need, full color graphics, physics, and there is more than enough detail to enjoy watching the red green blue pixels on the screen change.

We have higher resolution, which allows for less compressed models or images, and seriously, how much more advanced do you need to get than cryengine in 2007 or farcry 1 in 2006?

What more do you want?  What is a AMD Fury GPU going to do that an ATI HD 4000 can't?

How about gpu that can have the memory capacity upgraded?  That would reduce some need to upgrade the device as often, but would be unprofitable from a monetary perspective, so it probably won't ever happen.  I also think it is odd that the video codecs used by youtube are literally incompatible with older hardware.  Is this the same as OpenGL / Vulkan support?  If so, there are open-source GPU drivers to support old amd gpu from the early 2000s to include Vulkan api support.  Of course, only Linux developers would do something nice like that.  Can cpu be given the same updates, and if not, why?

Until we are properly re-using silicon and circuit boards, to the best of our ability, and properly recycling or incinerating the rest, and not forcing humans to work in clearly toxic conditions, then the tech industry is as big a pile of garbage as our e-waste problem.  We are smarter than this.

Can a company truly be proud of their accomplishments if this is how they get there?  Just brush it off as if it's not real, or they aren't helping fuel the issue.  I don't see how that's possible.  So, as individual consumers, we do not need fast new computers.  Isn't cloud gaming supposed to take off, so just do that, you can't stop it, so use it.  Those servers will always be running, burning coal, so make the most of it.

Windows is probably going to go cloud based, so most of the processing is going to be on a gigantic server, so what use is a fast machine now?

Ok, capitalist industry is a b#tch, but it's not limited to PC hardware, and living in grottos isn't a solution (or only an individual one)

Sure you can browse Internet with a 20 year old PC and VGA monitor, you can also say a horse cart is still a viable transportation method, and more nature friendly than a car (even en electric one...), but that's just passeism imo

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

58 minutes ago, E-waste said:

Most CPUs don't idle above about 2 Ghz.  It's not about cpu speed anymore, and makes zero noticable difference in most tasks.  A 2.2 or 3 Ghz processor is far more than just barely enough, or almost tolerable performance.

Frequency and actual performance do not correlate in a linear fashion. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

9 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Frequency and actual performance do not correlate in a linear fashion. 

Indeed, IPC also made a huge jump, so at same clock a new chip is maybe twice more powerful than an 20 years old one

And more efficient as it's done with way smaller chips (5nm vs around 60)

you can buy PSU's directly from DELL.. or on ebay, but i would consider it a paperweight... too old to run anything properly.. 

core 2 duo came out in 2006...  

most or all dell, HP's and lenovo's are proretary systems, back then i think it was compaq too.. everything is built to manufacturer spec so nothing standard will fit... 

the only thing you can reuse from old systems are usually... cpu, ram, gpu if it's a standard one. the rest basicaly won't fit anything that's standardized today. 

i used to have a dell XPS 700..... i know. .and i've "fixed" plenty dell's and other brands through the years. 

pc's is cheaper.. spare parts are not.... 

usually some of the connectors are propretary too and can short cut your system if you use anything else. 

On 1/20/2024 at 1:31 PM, Godlygamer23 said:

Frequency

Have you seen the original cosmos

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.