Okay, so I'm new to pc building, but have wanted to build a gaming rig for a while. I did my research and bought parts that would be compatible and work together. After putting everything together I ran into an issue. The computer powers on but there isn't any output to a display. The fans turn on but nothing else. I have tried everything from reseating all the parts to trying different monitors and cables but nothing works. I have come to the conclusion that the current bios is incompatible with the CPU I have purchased. Therefore, a bios update is needed for the CPU to work with my motherboard. Unfortunately, the motherboard needs a CPU (that I don't have and would need to purchase.) that is compatible with the current bios of the motherboard, in order to to upgrade the BIOS to work with the CPU I have. (A "catch 22" situation.) In addition, the motherboard I have is about 8 years old (but new in box and never used), so I'm wondering if its worth it to take it to a pc repair shop to get the bios updated. 

Key Points

- I don't want to spend money on a new motherboard if updating the BIOS works.

- I don't want to have to buy any more parts (i.e. new ram*, new CPU, new PSU, etc.)

*(I did buy ram that is slightly faster than originally recommended by the manufacturer, believing it would work and still be recognized but slightly bottlenecked by rest of hardware.)

- I want the PC to last a good while before needing to make upgrades.

- I don't want to have to spend any more money than completely necessary. I already feel like i spent too much money on this already.

- I still need to purchase Windows 11 O.S.

- I still want to get more internal cooling fans

So here's my question. Should I bother taking the motherboard to a repair shop to get the BIOS updated, or should I just buy a more modern motherboard altogether. 

Option 1

Get the BIOS updated at a local repair shop to work with my current parts. 

Pros:

- Cheaper

- Don't have to get a new motherboard.

Cons:

- No guarantee that the ram will be compatible after bios update.

- Might need to get parts that are more compatible.

Option 2

Buy a new motherboard.

Pros:

- More likely to work with my current parts

- Bios flashing would be easier

- More "Future Proof" (would last longer before needing an upgrade)

Cons:

- More expensive option

- Might need to buy more compatible parts

For reference here is my build so far:

CASE: Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 3.1 TG mATX (MCW-L3S3-KGNN-00)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

RAM: TeamGroup "T-Force Vulcan Z" DDR4 3200mhz 2x8gb (16gb total)

PSU: Segotep 650W 80 Plus Gold Certified Non-Modular ATX Power Supply

GPU: Gaming Radeon RX 6650 XT 128-bit 8GB GDDR6 (RX 6650 XT MECH 2X 8G OC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350M-D3H (Rev 1.0)

Storage: Western Digital 500GB WD Blue SN570 NVMe SSD - Gen3 x4 PCIe 8Gb/s, M.2 2280

&  Samsung 870 EVO 500GB SATA 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (MZ-77E500)

Any and all input and advice would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!

Edited by IronFordMan302
tags

7 hours ago, IronFordMan302 said:

Okay, so I'm new to pc building, but have wanted to build a gaming rig for a while. I did my research and bought parts that would be compatible and work together. After putting everything together I ran into an issue. The computer powers on but there isn't any output to a display. The fans turn on but nothing else. I have tried everything from reseating all the parts to trying different monitors and cables but nothing works. I have come to the conclusion that the current bios is incompatible with the CPU I have purchased. Therefore, a bios update is needed for the CPU to work with my motherboard. Unfortunately, the motherboard needs a CPU (that I don't have and would need to purchase.) that is compatible with the current bios of the motherboard, in order to to upgrade the BIOS to work with the CPU I have. (A "catch 22" situation.) In addition, the motherboard I have is about 8 years old (but new in box and never used), so I'm wondering if its worth it to take it to a pc repair shop to get the bios updated. 

Key Points

- I don't want to spend money on a new motherboard if updating the BIOS works.

- I don't want to have to buy any more parts (i.e. new ram*, new CPU, new PSU, etc.)

*(I did buy ram that is slightly faster than originally recommended by the manufacturer, believing it would work and still be recognized but slightly bottlenecked by rest of hardware.)

- I want the PC to last a good while before needing to make upgrades.

- I don't want to have to spend any more money than completely necessary. I already feel like i spent too much money on this already.

- I still need to purchase Windows 11 O.S.

- I still want to get more internal cooling fans

So here's my question. Should I bother taking the motherboard to a repair shop to get the BIOS updated, or should I just buy a more modern motherboard altogether. 

Option 1

Get the BIOS updated at a local repair shop to work with my current parts. 

Pros:

- Cheaper

- Don't have to get a new motherboard.

Cons:

- No guarantee that the ram will be compatible after bios update.

- Might need to get parts that are more compatible.

Option 2

Buy a new motherboard.

Pros:

- More likely to work with my current parts

- Bios flashing would be easier

- More "Future Proof" (would last longer before needing an upgrade)

Cons:

- More expensive option

- Might need to buy more compatible parts

For reference here is my build so far:

CASE: Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 3.1 TG mATX (MCW-L3S3-KGNN-00)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

RAM: TeamGroup "T-Force Vulcan Z" DDR4 3200mhz 2x8gb (16gb total)

PSU: Segotep 650W 80 Plus Gold Certified Non-Modular ATX Power Supply

GPU: Gaming Radeon RX 6650 XT 128-bit 8GB GDDR6 (RX 6650 XT MECH 2X 8G OC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350M-D3H (Rev 1.0)

Storage: Western Digital 500GB WD Blue SN570 NVMe SSD - Gen3 x4 PCIe 8Gb/s, M.2 2280

&  Samsung 870 EVO 500GB SATA 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (MZ-77E500)

Any and all input and advice would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!

Hello...

1. I used to work at a Repair Shop and now I own one for myself. I can tell you that most Shops will charge you quite a bit to do this.

2. If what @WiredInventor said does not work or help any longer then I have a solution for you.

3. The Ryzen 5 3600 is old and a lot of them have been dropping dead lately. I have had over 20 of them fail within the last year alone and I have seen some people on YouTube say so too, check out Greg Salazar "Flip or Flop" Series. He goes into detail on there about this. One day they seem to work just fine and then without warning they just stop working.

4. It's great that you already have a lot of parts to make a newer PC but some need replacing and one part you have is really bad, the Case. The Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 3.1 has so little intake Airflow that it might as well not have any. Airflow is "KEY" these days for a PC as parts are getting hotter and hotter. The Motherboard you have is only a B350. It can't hold a candle to a B550 and the Speed it can output. Already your GPU struggling a bit because it is a Gen4 device that is being forced to run at Gen3 Speeds. And it's obvious that the CPU is already a problem. All the other parts you have are just fine and can be reused.

I would like you to go with the Ryzen 5 5600. Right now it's your best CPU to get into the "Semi-Modern" Era of PCs. To pair it with I picked a MSI PRO B550M Motherboard. This Board is a great entry level one to have as it will accept ANY 3rd Gen and 5th Gen Ryzen CPU without a BIOS Update because it already has the most up to date BIOS Version so that all those CPUs will work. I threw in a 1TB Gen4 M.2 so that you can take full advantage of the Gen4 Speeds to play your Games with, you can say "Good-Bye" to Loading Screens and slow to boot Games and Programs. Most will now open with a Snap. Then we have the most important part, the Case. I picked the Montech Air 100. It has a Full Mesh Front and Top Panels so that no hot Air will get trapped inside and cause any harm. It also comes with 4 ARGB Fans to help with Airflow plus a Fan Hub to connect all the Fans to so that you only use 1 Fan Header of the Motherboard instead of 4 and it has plenty of Cable Management Space in the Back. Another thing it has is a PSU Shroud, you no longer have to stare at the Power Supply in your PC. Now everything will look nice and tidy. As a bonus you can pick whatever Colors you like for the RGB. Just get the "MSI Center" Software and have fun picking you favorite Colors.

Motherboard Software & Drivers

Windows 11 Installation Assistant Use this to Download and Install Windows to a USB Drive. Use a USB 3 Drive for the Fastest Install. USB 2 will be really slow.

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro Key GLOBAL $ 27.65 Windows is now Free to Install. It's the Key that you need to buy.

Please look at this new PC Build List and let me know what you think. I am here to answer any question you might have.

I have been building PCs for over 30 years so if you have any questions please ask. For future communication I use Discord for much faster response times as I have it open 24/7. Here is my Discord: Wizardsnapper#2772 I am also available if you need help before, during, or after the Build process on Discord through Voice or Video Chat. I can be with you while you build your new PC if you need me to be.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GJM6mD

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B550M-P GEN3 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($113.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: TEAMGROUP MP44L 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI MECH 2X OC Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Montech AIR 100 ARGB MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Segotep GP 600 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $371.96

I have been building PCs for over 30 years so if you have any questions please ask. For Future Communication I use Discord for much Faster Response Times as I have it open 24/7. I am also available if you need help before, during, or after the Build Process on Discord through Text,Voice, or Video Chat. I can be with you while you build your new PC if you need me to be. Here is my Discord: Wizardsnapper#2772

9 hours ago, IronFordMan302 said:

No guarantee that the ram will be compatible after bios update.

This is dumb. RAM QVL only matters as far as "the manufacturer have tested it with this on DOCP" and thats it, it will work just fine. Get the boot kit as @WiredInventor mentioned, or go to a computer repair shop for a BIOS update.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.