LG Naming C3 Confusion (Which One Should I Get)

APCNewbie209

So on LG's website.  There are two versions of the LG C3 OLED 48" smart TV.  

There's this one which says it's an EVO and this one also says it's an EVO but at a different spot in the name.

Now I'm trying to figure out which one is which and which one to get.  One says it's 100% color accuracy but if they're the same model, shouldn't the other also have 100% color accuracy?  I am looking for a 4K 48" OLED TV for video editing and photography so I can get really good color accuracy for editing, but which one is which.  The comparison feature really doesn't help me either.  If they're not the same model, which one should I get for my use cases?  They're both the same price.  But they have the same name and I can't tell which one is which and which one is the "better" model.  Is one just a smart TV and the other isn't or what's going on here?

First Model: LG OLED evo C3 48 inch 4K Smart TV 2023

Second Model: LG 48 Inch Class C3 Series OLED evo 4K UHD Smart webOS 23 w/ ThinQ AI TV

I just need to know which would be better for video and photo editing and figuring out what the actual difference is between the models.  If there is any.

The first link has a model number ending in PUA and the second link ends with AUA. A quick Google search says that there is a difference in the wifi module. Here is a table from rtings https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c3-oled#page-test-differences

Also, this is a common practice between "retail" and "wholesale" and "direct" variants. Typically the performance is the same between all the models with some minor differences. Read the short write up before the table to see the differences in the LG C3 models.

image.thumb.png.a9fe261d4239b4db73dd95e3506292e9.png

2 hours ago, johnt said:

The first link has a model number ending in PUA and the second link ends with AUA. A quick Google search says that there is a difference in the wifi module. Here is a table from rtings https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c3-oled#page-test-differences

Also, this is a common practice between "retail" and "wholesale" and "direct" variants. Typically the performance is the same between all the models with some minor differences. Read the short write up before the table to see the differences in the LG C3 models.

image.thumb.png.a9fe261d4239b4db73dd95e3506292e9.png

So the comparison on the specs list is wrong on LG's website?  When you compare both models there are a few things missing from one model to another.  But I'm guessing it's that's not actually the case.  Am I understanding that right?  So I should just get the wholesale version?  I've got Ethernet and good wifi.  May as well use the 6E.  That's the wholesale model right?  

21 minutes ago, APCNewbie209 said:

So the comparison on the specs list is wrong on LG's website?  When you compare both models there are a few things missing from one model to another.  But I'm guessing it's that's not actually the case.  Am I understanding that right?  So I should just get the wholesale version?  I've got Ethernet and good wifi.  May as well use the 6E.  That's the wholesale model right?  

I wouldn't say they are missing, I would say the information was entered by different people for each model and they weren't consistent. The comparison says the PUA is not pixel dimming, but it's OLED. Sooo take the comparison with a grain of salt.

It shouldn't matter which one you purchase as long as it is a reputable seller.

1 hour ago, johnt said:

I wouldn't say they are missing, I would say the information was entered by different people for each model and they weren't consistent. The comparison says the PUA is not pixel dimming, but it's OLED. Sooo take the comparison with a grain of salt.

It shouldn't matter which one you purchase as long as it is a reputable seller.

Oh okay so they're basically the same thing and don't really matter.  Ones just buyable from LG's site and the other is a retailer?  I can get mine from Costco like half an hour away!  Thank you for clarifying.  It was very confusing.

11 hours ago, APCNewbie209 said:

Oh okay so they're basically the same thing and don't really matter.  Ones just buyable from LG's site and the other is a retailer?  I can get mine from Costco like half an hour away!  Thank you for clarifying.  It was very confusing.

You're welcome. Yes Costco is a reputable seller of OLEDs... they also have a very generous return policy compared to retailers. Do be careful of the extended warranty that they offer. I've heard it doesn't cover burn in.

1 hour ago, johnt said:

You're welcome. Yes Costco is a reputable seller of OLEDs... they also have a very generous return policy compared to retailers. Do be careful of the extended warranty that they offer. I've heard it doesn't cover burn in.

Oh I'm fine with not covering burn in.  I'm only gonna be using it on and off.  A few hours a day doing a lot of stuff.  I'll be aright.  

Sweet.  So I'll get that wholesale version and the one with built in wifi.  Sounds good to me. 

3 hours ago, johnt said:

I'm waiting till December to see if new tvs and monitors come out that match up with the requisites I need for my hobby.  Perfect color accuracy, perfect OLED tech, modern hardware etc.

Also, do you think a 4090 will be able to handle the games I play at 4K 120Hz?  On a 48" like that?

2 hours ago, APCNewbie209 said:

Also, do you think a 4090 will be able to handle the games I play at 4K 120Hz?  On a 48" like that?

Well I mean..... you don't have any other options if the 4090 can't handle it at the moment lol

I think it depends on the type of gamer you are. If you can reduce some of your graphical settings and you're okay with DLSS in supported games, then yes a 4090 should serve you well in nearly all games. And of course competitive games will easily hit 4k120Hz with a 4090.

12 minutes ago, johnt said:

Well I mean..... you don't have any other options if the 4090 can't handle it at the moment lol

I think it depends on the type of gamer you are. If you can reduce some of your graphical settings and you're okay with DLSS in supported games, then yes a 4090 should serve you well in nearly all games. And of course competitive games will easily hit 4k120Hz with a 4090.

Oh yeah I'm down to turn down a few settings for the sake of stability.  I'm running a 2K 165Hz 32" monitor rn and I'm actually bottlenecked with my 14900K.  It's too good that it needs either a higher refresh rate or a higher resolution to run smoother.  I do love DLSS an most of the games I play run DLSS so I am down to tone a few things down for the sake of stabilty.  

4K 120Hz 48" is better than 2K 165Hz 32" if you ask me.

I'd rather have a higher resolution and slightly lower framerates at 4K 120 than 2K 165.  It makes more sense to me.  Especially at 48".  It sounds like a better idea.