eBay Hacked - User Database Compromised

Torand

Are you kidding me?! I just changed my pw like 2 weeks ago ?+&%$#@ing hackers stop annoying everyone and get a real job!

I don't have a real job...

What are you on about? ...

I haven't forced any colours? At least I haven't changed any colours, just typed out my post... :S

Whats with the aggression? Why would I have a problem with it? Help me out here, you've thrown me for 6...  :huh:

So, it's still a developing story, so stay tuned for more news.

Kinda mixed on my reaction:

A - PLEASE, just say if you think your users data has been compromised, at the end of the day it is their personal information at risk

B - BUT - there is, granted, a need to run internal assessments on what has been compromised and how to patch the issue.

Just to reiterate, this is the data that has been compromised: Encrypted password, customer: name, email address, physical address, phone number and date of birth. So pretty much everything that isn't financial.

Now that the news on this has matured since my initial posting, my revised opinions:

Obviously, a breach like this is not acceptable, but your systems can never be 100% safe and at least the data wasn't financial and they didn't do something stupid like leaving the passwords in plain text. Although the general information pertaining to the user is rather personal, despite what eBay thinks, it's nothing you couldn't easily find in public records or on social media if you really tried looking.

It is certainly something in which they couldn't really have prepared against, unless they provided the employees with regular password resets or a two step verification method, especially when said employees are handling sensitive information.

As for the employees information (although not really stated how the hackers obtained the logins), well, was it; a willing pass of their login credentials? details sold off for a quick 'buk? Drunken mistake on the employees behalf? Phising? The list of speculation goes on...

I'm not trying to defend eBay by any stretch of the imagination, what has happened will hopefully make them buckle up internal employee logins to harbour more appropriate security measures. But it certainly could have been much, much worse.

EDIT    - Updated The Verge article.

EDIT 2 - Updated BBC article.

EDIT 3 - Updated The Verge article.

EDIT 4 - Updated BBC article.

EDIT 5 - Updated The Verge article.

see anything different there? the text color?

I am a female pc hardware expert and enthusiast, over 170 IQ, been in the tech scene since the 80s. get over it.  This message brought to you by me being tired of people which have problems with any of those things.   ~Jaqie Fox

-=|Fighting computer ignorance since 1995|=-

...Why doesn't anyone ever just ctl+shift+v so that the text loses all it's formatting and doesn't look terrible on Night Theme..

WE NEED A PSA NOW DAMMIT!

-Actual Relevant Response:

Well that kind of sucks since I'm lazy and don't want to change my password, but I took the 30 seconds to do so anyway. (The use of pre paid burner gift cards for all my purchases doesn't leave much for anyone to steal though at least) Sort of thanks for the heads up even if when I read this earlier it was just some place holder BS

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

see anything different there? the text color?

No, sorry. :/

I'll have a look and see what I can do anyway... :)

EDIT: I have now forcefully removed all formatting, re-applied certain parts (font size, etc...) and tested it in the night theme. Seems to work fine now, really don't know why that happened in the first place.

Hope that's better for you. :)

...Why doesn't anyone ever just ctl+shift+v so that the text loses all it's formatting and doesn't look terrible on Night Theme..

WE NEED A PSA NOW DAMMIT!

-Actual Relevant Response:

Well that kind of sucks since I'm lazy and don't want to change my password, but I took the 30 seconds to do so anyway. (The use of pre paid burner gift cards for all my purchases doesn't leave much for anyone to steal though at least) Sort of thanks for the heads up even if when I read this earlier it was just some place holder BS

I always paste text as plain text, as the formatting never works anyway.

This thread is getting seriously off-topic...  :mellow:

Er, no. I always comment on the news in my posts. Go check my other posts, I always do.

And anyway, I place the website information on here to allow people to quickly read the article without having to click through to the website.

Not like anyone reads my opinion anyway, in which I really don't care about, but at least I put effort into not just copying and pasting the website. :/

Word of advice, ignore them, there is always someone trying to pull down the other news posters, there is always someone that doesnt like the format of news that another person does and its annoying that they are too stupid to click the link which is provided, ive gone through your situation many a time before. its annoying.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

the two comments you added AFTER "reserving" a thread, and then pasting in what other people wrote from those two sources add literally nothing.

Its honestly like youre just writing stuff for the sake of writing stuff.

A - They HAVE said that its been compromised.

B - There is no issue to "patch". If you read the stories you copy and pasted you would realise that its the fault of employees falling for social engineering, and not a software exploit.

I'm starting to think if people start reserving news threads they should get timed out from creating threads in the news section for a while.

Reserving posts just to be first :L

I don't really have an issue with the OP copy pasta just first posting :L

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

No, sorry. :/

I'll have a look and see what I can do anyway... :)

EDIT: I have now forcefully removed all formatting, re-applied certain parts (font size, etc...) and tested it in the night theme. Seems to work fine now, really don't know why that happened in the first place.

Hope that's better for you. :)

Thank you. :)

I am a female pc hardware expert and enthusiast, over 170 IQ, been in the tech scene since the 80s. get over it.  This message brought to you by me being tired of people which have problems with any of those things.   ~Jaqie Fox

-=|Fighting computer ignorance since 1995|=-