Black screen after Nvidia driver install.

Theguywhobea
Go to solution Solved by Theguywhobea,

Pretty confident it's the 4060 now. The 1660ti worked as well, and I tried the 4060 in a different computer and it also would not boot in that one either. Not sure what could have caused this GPU to fail so quickly, hasn't even been in use for a full month yet.

So, working on the PC I built for my cousins kid for his Christmas present. B550 motherboard, 5700X, 16GB RAM, RTX 4060, was running Windows 10. 

I was called yesterday when he couldn't get his PC to show anything, he said he was told to update to "Windows 5" but I believe he was actually just trying to update to Windows 11? However this kid is 10 so he was impatient and force shut down his PC while it was still installing. After this his Windows install was no good so I reinstalled Windows 10 fresh thinking this would solve his issue. However, once I got Windows 10 up and started to update, everytime it would install the GPU driver the screen would flash to black and sit there and never give me a display again. The PC was not locked up as num-pad and caps lock lights were going on and off, however if I then force shut the PC off it would start booting windows and then go to a black screen again with USB devices not powered. I would have to do this until it did a start up repair, then it would roll back to before those updates were installed and the process would start all over again.

I tried reinstalling the OS again and got the same results. I tried reseating the GPU power, I tried reseating the GPU itself, I disabled above 4G Decoding and resizable BAR, I tried installing the driver from Nvidias website with the latest driver, and then with an older driver and always got the same result. 

Is it possible this GPU is just no good? Going to try swapping out to a new GPU in a bit and see what difference that makes but figured I would post here for suggestions.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

22 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

So, working on the PC I built for my cousins kid for his Christmas present. B550 motherboard, 5700X, 16GB RAM, RTX 4060, was running Windows 10. 

I was called yesterday when he couldn't get his PC to show anything, he said he was told to update to "Windows 5" but I believe he was actually just trying to update to Windows 11? However this kid is 10 so he was impatient and force shut down his PC while it was still installing. After this his Windows install was no good so I reinstalled Windows 10 fresh thinking this would solve his issue. However, once I got Windows 10 up and started to update, everytime it would install the GPU driver the screen would flash to black and sit there and never give me a display again. The PC was not locked up as num-pad and caps lock lights were going on and off, however if I then force shut the PC off it would start booting windows and then go to a black screen again with USB devices not powered. I would have to do this until it did a start up repair, then it would roll back to before those updates were installed and the process would start all over again.

I tried reinstalling the OS again and got the same results. I tried reseating the GPU power, I tried reseating the GPU itself, I disabled above 4G Decoding and resizable BAR, I tried installing the driver from Nvidias website with the latest driver, and then with an older driver and always got the same result. 

Is it possible this GPU is just no good? Going to try swapping out to a new GPU in a bit and see what difference that makes but figured I would post here for suggestions.

have you tried updating the motherboard bios to see if that makes a difference?

8 minutes ago, Alireza said:

have you tried updating the motherboard bios to see if that makes a difference?

Not yet but I was going to try that this morning. Looking at ASRock's site it looks like there was only one bios update over the one it's on right now, so I'm not incredibly hopeful but I will give it a shot.

When you experience a driver related blackout try WIN + CTRL + SHIFT + B and see if driver recovers.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

So far I have updated the BIOS to the latest version, this actually made it worse and it would no longer post with the 4060 in it anymore. I swapped in a 1050Ti and it posted and I got into Windows. It installed the graphics driver and it did the normal quick flash to black and then back to displaying properly... Not looking good so far, but once I get everything in Windows up to date I will try swapping the 4060 back in and see what it does.

Also thinking of putting in a 1660ti to test that a gpu that needs supplemental power works and this isn't a PSU issue.

Pretty confident it's the 4060 now. The 1660ti worked as well, and I tried the 4060 in a different computer and it also would not boot in that one either. Not sure what could have caused this GPU to fail so quickly, hasn't even been in use for a full month yet.