Frequent crashes while gaming: GPU or PSU to blame?

maartendc

Hello all,

My PC has recently started crashing under load when gaming. Either blue screen of death and reboot, or crashing the games to desktop. Happens with any game.

If I turn the max GPU power down to 70% in MSI Afterburner, the crashes stop, or become much more rare. So I am thinking either the PSU is going bad, and cannot supply enough stable power anymore under 100% load, or the GPU is going bad.

Which is more likely to blame in this scenario, PSU or GPU? Sadly I don't have either another PSU or GPU to test at the moment, so I'll have to order either part.

My specs:

Ryzen 2700X

Asrock B450 iTX

PSU: Corsair 600W ITX

GPU: EVGA Geforce 980 Ti

RAM: 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHZ.

Thanks!

I would give everything a every thing good clean and repast the CPU and GPU if it has not been done in a few years. 

Also checked the evga website the recommend 600W or high for that card. 

Also try the card in friends build if they let you. 

BSOD or game crashes means it's not the PSU imo, if it were it'll just go black/reboot

What are your GPU temps ?

GTX980 should be close to 10 year old now so it just may be dying

As @Trevor87 mentioned a good cleanup can only help

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

PSU problems would mean the PC turns off or reboots suddenly. I'd say this is a faulty GPU. Typical diagnostics would be checking temps, using DDU and doing a fresh driver install, repasting for example.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

2 hours ago, PDifolco said:

BSOD or game crashes means it's not the PSU imo, if it were it'll just go black/reboot

What are your GPU temps ?

GTX980 should be close to 10 year old now so it just may be dying

As @Trevor87 mentioned a good cleanup can only help

OK thanks for the feedback. Yeah its probably 8 or 9 years old, so it is not impossible that it is just going bad.

The temps are totally normal, dont exceed 75C or so.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

PSU problems would mean the PC turns off or reboots suddenly. I'd say this is a faulty GPU. Typical diagnostics would be checking temps, using DDU and doing a fresh driver install, repasting for example.

Thanks for weighing in. I could try and repaste, but at this point I don't think that will fix it.

Guess I'll be shopping for a new GPU..