My power supply makes a buzzing noise after leaving it on for about 5 mins

Hey, LTT community

I brought my pc around 1 year ago and has recently been making a weird noise when I leave it on for around 5 minutes. Im guessing the sound is coming from the psu as whenever I press on the part of my case next to the psu the noise seems to become more quiet. At first I thought it was something to do with the screws connecting to the psu were loose but when  

tightened them the sound seemed to only get worse. I then thought it was getting too hot so I then added another fan Into my pc however that didn't seem to do much at all. another thing I should probably mention is that the sound is not constant. sometimes the sound will be loud when using my pc and other times the sound will not be there at all when performing the same tasks.

I'm really hoping that I do not need to replace the psu but I will if I have to.

thanks a lot! 

Possibly coil whine, but it doesn't really sound like that to me. Very weird! How many watts is it, and what's your CPU and GPU power draw combined when gaming? 

I love making PCPartPicker lists.

If I answer your question (or someone else), please mark it as the answer. 

Please refresh before replying, I like to edit my posts.

PC SPECS: Intel i5-12600K, RX 6700 XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

2 minutes ago, redstonehandman said:

Hey, LTT community

I brought my pc around 1 year ago and has recently been making a weird noise when I leave it on for around 5 minutes. Im guessing the sound is coming from the psu as whenever I press on the part of my case next to the psu the noise seems to become more quiet. At first I thought it was something to do with the screws connecting to the psu were loose but when  

tightened them the sound seemed to only get worse. I then thought it was getting too hot so I then added another fan Into my pc however that didn't seem to do much at all. another thing I should probably mention is that the sound is not constant. sometimes the sound will be loud when using my pc and other times the sound will not be there at all when performing the same tasks.

I'm really hoping that I do not need to replace the psu but I will if I have to.

thanks a lot! 

definitely sounds like something is rubbing against the fan or the fan being slightly loose.

I like HWMonitor for checking system stats. 

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

Just now, Hinjima said:

definitely sounds like something is rubbing against the fan or the fan being slightly loose.

That's probably it, it sounds like if you brush your finger against a case fan and it makes that weird sound. 

2 minutes ago, PowerPCFan said:

That's probably it, it sounds like if you brush your finger against a case fan and it makes that weird sound. 

Yup. Never heard coilwhine that aggressive but definitely heard fans making this noise before.

He also mentions it starting after 5 minutes ( when a fan would kick in to cool down a part thats warming up over time )

1 minute ago, Hinjima said:

Yup. Never heard coilwhine that aggressive but definitely heard fans making this noise before.

He also mentions it starting after 5 minutes ( when a fan would kick in to cool down a part thats warming up over time )

Well my GPU coil whine is almost as loud as that, but not so loud it bothers me when I put on my headphones. (HyperX Cloud II wireless, great headset.)

So I'd check the fan, @redstonehandman.

14 minutes ago, PowerPCFan said:

Well my GPU coil whine is almost as loud as that, but not so loud it bothers me when I put on my headphones. (HyperX Cloud II wireless, great headset.)

So I'd check the fan, @redstonehandman.

Sure. It can be as loud but its just the pattern and frequency the sound is going at that makes me think its the fan.

@redstonehandman  Be VERY careful if you plan on opening the PSU to check the fan.. it can be extremely dangerous.

Stopping the fan is okay, just dont poke around in there with a screwdriver or you hands.

if possible, try to stop the PSU fan when the noise starts and see if the noise goes away