Rubbish performance on decent spec

bollard

Hey folks. Racking my brains here. I have a decent spec and game only occasionally. Last time I played MSFS or indeed any other game, everything ran pretty well.

Intel i9-10900k, 3080ti iChill, 32GB RAM

I have a wide screen 5120x1440 screen and I used to see 50fps on MSFS and 100fps+ on Spiderman Remastered. Time passed and now see <20fps on MSFS!

I have updated BIOS, clean installed all Nvidia drivers. 3D Mark results suck https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/105706134?. Temperatures look normal.

SIGH

Any suggestions, p;lease?

Did you install any bloatware (RGB controls, some sort of add-on), did you visit sketchy websites, insert weird USB peripherals, opened yourself up to some other attack vector or has there been some patch that might influence performance?
Did you change any power settings, or did Windows do that for you? That might be the most likely thing

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

Could also have been an update to the game itself that either increased its requirements or introduced some performance killing issue. Or some unintentional change to its settings.

I added a comparison to similar hardware on 3D Mark: https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/44738559/spy/27941536

It looks like your CPU is a fair bit slower, while your GPU is a lot slower, likely because its clocks are a lot lower. So I would expect some form of throttling is going on. If it isn't thermal related, it might be power. Though I dare say it is likely a thermal limit, looking at the temperature difference.

image.png.dafbc9c33e05357d9dded372f3c8ea1c.png

Yours is at 91°C and its average clock speed below 500 MHz, compared to over 2 GHz for the other. Just be aware that the number one spot is likely held by an overclocked system using LN2, so don't necessarily expect to get close to it. Maybe add some lower ranked system to the comparison as well.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

only suggestion i have outside of a fresh install of windows would be to hop into settings and one by one uninstall each program one at a time each time you do an un install test performance once performance is how you like it look at the last thing you removed and boom you found your issue 

Thanks for the replies. The comparative 3d mark is as depressing as it is inspiring....

memtest86 took an AGE but also checks out.

It's been a couple of decades since I've had take the legendary nuclear option of 'reinstalling windows' but if if other options don't work out, I will.

I'll report back. Thanks again.

I did notice a large delta in GPU temps. Mine is at 91 vs the far better performance at 41. Pump issues?

EDIT: Ignore. Saw previous post. Now investigating thermal issues 😕

2 hours ago, bollard said:

I did notice a large delta in GPU temps. Mine is at 91 vs the far better performance at 41. Pump issues?

EDIT: Ignore. Saw previous post. Now investigating thermal issues 😕

you could try a slight gpu undervolt and see if that helps id suspect temps while running a game monitor temps for the gpu and cpu also monitor usage see if theres any spikes had a similar issue where my gpu was struggling cuz my cpu wasnt being cooled enough so cpu couldnt keep up with gpu due to thermal throttle

I was not keen to reinstall Windows without first investigating the thermal issue.

Case and fans generally look sensible with air being drawn in from the front and expelled at the rear/top. The GFX card is a 3080ti iChill thing with a separate radiator and fan at the rear. I have to question my setup here as it seems the fan is passing warm air over the radiator and out of the back. But since there's no other place to mount this really, that's why it's there.  I've actually added another fan to the top to improve air flow out but of course it makes little difference.

I had previously wired the AIO pump to a fan header (now fixed) but I don't think that made a difference. The BIOS cannot show pump speed. I'm not sure but I think that may be normal.

At idle GFX temp is below 40. All fans are spinning. So, in a well ventilated case, I'm struggling to understand why the GPU temp gets up to 90 under load.

Is someone please able to confirm GFX card radiator and fan setup and AIO pump setup looks sane?

Screenshot_20240115_162740_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20240115_162906_Photos.jpg

image.png

20240115_161651.jpg

Just for giggles (read: out of desperation) I have now reversed the fan on the rear so it's pushing cold air over the radiator. Since I added a fan to the top, I figured it would be interesting to see if it had an effect. 

It did not. GPU still gets way hotter than I'd expect. It's also definitely throttling. Games run well for 30s then FPS drops from 100+ to 10 as the temp hits 90.

I'm guessing there's a problem with the pump at this stage.

On 1/14/2024 at 9:15 PM, bollard said:

Thanks for the replies. The comparative 3d mark is as depressing as it is inspiring....

memtest86 took an AGE but also checks out.

It's been a couple of decades since I've had take the legendary nuclear option of 'reinstalling windows' but if if other options don't work out, I will.

I'll report back. Thanks again.

it just means you probably need to clean your pc , repaste the cpu and gpu... 

BECAUSE ITS RUNNING HOT AS THE SUN! 

10 hours ago, bollard said:

I'm guessing there's a problem with the pump at this stage.

oh, yeah, do yourself a favor and get an aircooler. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I would never buy a GPU with an AIO cooler because pumps inevitably fail , Fine on a cpu when you can just buy another AIO but on a GPU yeah no thanks.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

• 2 weeks later...

The AIO pump had indeed failed. Overclockers UK were brilliant. RMA, refund sorted in <1 week. New card is a faster and quieter. And has no pump to fail.