Synology NAS Raid Issues: Help needed

Go to solution Solved by Kid.Lazer,

I just added this edit when you replied.

You might be able to pull your new 4TB drive, then reconfigure the volume to "basic", and then reinstall your new drive.

Give it a try and see what happens. If this data is critical, it should be backed up externally regardless.

Edit: found this on reddit:

Deactivate a drive, create a new jbod storage pool 2 on your inactive drive, create a new volume 2 on your jbod storage pool, move your shared folders from volume 1 to volume 2, delete volume 1, delete storage pool 1, add your unused drive to storage pool 2, expand volume 2.

Hey All,

I am hoping somewhere here can help me out. I run a very basic small Synology NAS (DS-218J) at home for media. I recently filled it and added a second drive but the capacity has not increased. The original HDD was 2TB and the new one was 4TB.  I added it to the same pool but it now defaulted to SHR raid type (Synology specific I believe) which only allows one drive capacity and it's using the already full drive. I want to use either JBOD or Raid 0

to get the full capacity but the function to change the Raid type is greyed out as you can see in the second image below. 

Any idea how I can resolve this as I now have a new HDD that's wasted? The system only has two drive bays by the way and both are now filled.

Thanks for any help in advance

Storage Pool Info:

image.png.d90831aee264e2e6a797d0da0834bb3f.png

Greyed out Raid options:

image.png.6da320bd0526f32325fe35adff77b757.png

Most consumer NAS's default to an X-raid (or raid1 for 2-drive systems) configuration, which will just use your new drive as hardware redundancy (as you have found out). The only to way to fix it from here is to backup all your data externally, remove the current volume, then recreate the volume as JBOD or raid0.

You might be able to pull your new 4TB drive, then reconfigure the volume to "basic", and then reinstall your new drive.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

1 minute ago, Kid.Lazer said:

Most consumer NAS's default to an X-raid (or raid1 for 2-drive systems) configuration, which will just use your new drive as hardware redundancy (as you have found out). The only to way to fix it from here is to backup all your data externally, remove the current volume, then recreate the volume as JBOD or raid0.

You're kidding me. Is there no other way?  Even if I could designate the 4tb as the main and retain the 2tb as redundancy I could live with that. I don't have any external of that size to back up to, would prefer to not have to buy somethign

Give it a try and see what happens. If this data is critical, it should be backed up externally regardless.

Deactivate a drive, create a new jbod storage pool 2 on your inactive drive, create a new volume 2 on your jbod storage pool, move your shared folders from volume 1 to volume 2, delete volume 1, delete storage pool 1, add your unused drive to storage pool 2, expand volume 2.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

I'll give the drive deactivation a go. Hopefully, that works. 

16 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

This looks like it will do the trick! Thanks so much!