4 light bulbs floorlamps VS 100feet of led strips

kennethk

My floor lamp broke on me I had the idea instead of going out and buying two brand new lamp shades (which are in tack it's just the switch won't click on the bulbs) I could probably wire led strips to them and control them from a app or remote. Sounds good but I'm unsure. Since I'm in a one bedroom apartment 4 bulbs are well enough to light it, though I'm not sure if replacing led bulbs with led strips would give the same amount of brightness, depending on manufacturer.  Yes I know the actual bulb works. 

My idea is to simply drop in a roll of led strips, remove the light bulb post and plug in the led a adapter into the wall instead of having the actual lamp plugged in since it's broken anyway. Maybe have some of the strips running down the lamppost. 

To give an idea I have one of those Mainstays Walmart branded 2 bulb floor lamps. I don't care about fancy rgb light shows just something that gets white enough that would be illuminated through the floor lamps shade

So instead of going out and buying two more of these which would be around $35 https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-72-Combo-Floor-Lamp-Adjustable-Reading-Lamp-Silver-Plastic-Modern-Young-Adult-Adult-use/12173433?athbdg=L1102&from=/search

My plans to search Amazon for a pair of led strips and hope it can get just as bright. Sounds silly but nothing wrong repurposing. Just don't know if those $15 strips flooding Amazon would match 2 led bulbs or compare to its lumens. 

Ex: hyrion 100 ft Bluetooth LED Strip Lights,Music Sync Color Changing Lights Strip,5050 RGB LED Lights with Remote,Smart Phone App Control LED Lights for Bedroom,Bar,Room DIY (APP+Remote) https://a.co/d/8EdT49F

100 feet of LED strip lighting is way brighter than a two bulb floor lamp. Even 10 feet would probably be brighter. Of note, if you want a good white light I would suggest RGBW lights, which have an extra white LED just to make white light. RGB lights (and especially low end RGB lights) usually have a pretty noticeable tint to them when trying to make white because the LEDs aren't well matched.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

As the person above said, if you go with a strip, I would make sure it had white LEDs in it (RGBW or just white), if you don't, the light quality will be bad in comparison.

As for brightness, there is two ways to compare that, either actual brightness measurement, or wattage. As the ones you linked to only use 5w unless I have missed something, it will probably only light up as much as one bulb. That is not much, even for LEDs.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

29 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

100 feet of LED strip lighting is way brighter than a two bulb floor lamp. Even 10 feet would probably be brighter. Of note, if you want a good white light I would suggest RGBW lights, which have an extra white LED just to make white light. RGB lights (and especially low end RGB lights) usually have a pretty noticeable tint to them when trying to make white because the LEDs aren't well matched.

It's always hard to tell in person VS a video, are there any 100ft ones you could recommend under $15?

The floorlamps would provide the most brightness to the room. 

You can put these type of 100W equivalent 1500 lumen LED bulbs and the entire room would be lit up no problem

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/philips-led-a19-e26-100w-equivalent-a-line-energy-saving-light-bulb-daylight-5000k-2-pack/1001006062
There are also controllable smart LED bulbs that you can dim and change the color temperature through an app. To create whatever ambiance you want.

The LED strip will only provide ambiance lighting at best like what you can see on the amazon reviews that posted videos of them. It might be hard to see some stuff that you drop on the floor and what not.

Be aware that while the product page says "5 watts", it may not actually 5W. Someone responded to a question saying it's actually 36W.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.4bc3daa8d446c1e58388c3e97c612d87.png

It all depends on what you want and how much efforts you want to put in this.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

17 minutes ago, kennethk said:

It's always hard to tell in person VS a video, are there any 100ft ones you could recommend under $15?

Nowadays cheap things on internet marketplaces are all white-label, and the "brands" that sell them come and go with the seasons. Even if I did know a good LED strip brand, they might not be getting their lights from the same manufacturer this week, and they're sure as hell not doing any QC. With stuff like this the best you can hope for is to cross your fingers and pray.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

9 hours ago, TetraSky said:

The floorlamps would provide the most brightness to the room. 

You can put these type of 100W equivalent 1500 lumen LED bulbs and the entire room would be lit up no problem

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/philips-led-a19-e26-100w-equivalent-a-line-energy-saving-light-bulb-daylight-5000k-2-pack/1001006062

This 100%

@kennethk if lets say you want brightness, this is such a wonderful way to go I find (if you don't have other lighting options like lights on the ceiling).  I have a room that I considered to be pretty dark, it has dark walls and was large (with 3 incandescent lights).  3 100W equivalent LED bulbs and the room gets really bright.

If you have lights on the ceiling though, one thing you could also try is "Luminus LED Ceiling Panels 2 ft. x 4 ft., Dimmable" from Costco.  While you will have to replace it once it eventually dies, I found that it outputs quite a bit of light into the room and looks overall natural (no RGB though)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef