'Newbie' Gaming controller owner (HELP)

Sorry if this is too specific,

I have been unable to play games on my Windows PC at home due to health issues ('prolly cause I am a keyboard and mouse jockey all day'...but that is an aside) for about three years.

Out of frustration around Christmas this year (2023) I started looking at buying a controller to game on my PC with. Having never owned a PlayStation or an Xbox I will be the first to admit my starting point as unknowledgeable as you could get! Diving in the deep end I swam well past the smushy Logitech-type devices and ended up purchasing a GuliKit, no drifting joystick, KingKong 2 Pro controller. So far in this steep learning curve, I have given myself for Christmas, the controller 'life' experience has been a little muted. The GuliKit KingKong 2 Pro controller is recognised as an Xbox controller by my PC, however, the action keys Y, X, A and B did not correspond correctly with the gameplay experience. Re-reading the 'enjoy gaming easier' GuliKit manual I found out it is possible to change this easily, whew!

What I have come here to ask those who know better than I do is whether there is a way to map the key actions, because, I have now noticed that unlike my gamepad some key actions are duplicated.

I am not even sure if this is something that other controllers (like an Xbox controller) have issues with or if it is a GuliKit thing.

Any expert can chime in, as I said I know nothing, all comments, are welcome (from other time zones too!).

Cheers, Steve.

Not an affiliate link

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

Can you go into more detail by what you mean by key actions and how they are being duplicated? I can only theorize (being the owner of two such GuliKit King Kong 2 pro controllers) that you may have used/enabled the recording feature, and thereby mapped multiple presses to your buttons.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Thanks for your reply @Wh0_Am_1

I will have to check precisely which button presses do what. I feel like I am having to remap my brain, for example, on the gamepad space - jump in FO4 was left thumb now it is Y and X going by the controller picture above! lol

There are A LOT of mis-presses I seem to be pulling out my weapon ready to attack/ defend more than I need to.

The X, Y and A, B swap issue was something I could set inside of Steam itself.

Do you know if that setting is global or game-specific?

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

9 hours ago, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

The X, Y and A, B swap issue was something I could set inside of Steam itself.

Do you know if that setting is global or game-specific?

So changing the controller mapping in steam only changes the mapping for Steam games, the king kong pro 2 support changing x and y as well as a and b to the xbox layout by pushing the gear and the plus button on the controller.

If you desire to use the controller primarily in the xbox layout, you can purchase a button kit from Gulikit.image.png.1db193f0243371151ef4269c3599aa05.png

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

On 1/6/2024 at 9:31 PM, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Can you go into more detail by what you mean by key actions and how they are being duplicated? I can only theorize (being the owner of two such GuliKit King Kong 2 pro controllers) that you may have used/enabled the recording feature, and thereby mapped multiple presses to your buttons.

As it turns out with all the miss-pressing that I was doing floundering away on the King Kong Pro 2 controller the issue was just me seeing the result of the action of the key press rather than what the intention of that key was. For example, in Fallout 4 the result I was seeing was that my weapon was drawn. However, the button presses L, ZL, ZR and A all include the action of bringing up a weapon but the reason that occurs is because the weapon needs to be out to facilitate an action such as a block of a physical attack with that weapon.

On 1/8/2024 at 6:15 PM, Wh0_Am_1 said:

So changing the controller mapping in steam only changes the mapping for Steam games, the king kong pro 2 support changing x and y as well as a and b to the xbox layout by pushing the gear and the plus button on the controller.

[snip]

That was another thing that I did not understand when I first started using the controller, why when I pressed one key's letter did the action of the other letter take place, then I noticed the symmetry and remembered the instruction leaflet mentioning interchangeability.
I did not know that they also sell key caps which is something I probably should consider as I am still learning to process which button is which (I have a small sheet of paper illuminated by my keyboard to navigate the letter pad!)

How come it is not possible to swap the key caps are the switches different or are the button heights not the same, @Wh0_Am_1 ?

On 1/10/2024 at 2:34 AM, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

How come it is not possible to swap the key caps are the switches different or are the button heights not the same, @Wh0_Am_1 ?

Neither the height nor the shape of the buttons is the same.

Take a look at your Gulikit controller in the standard Switch layout, the A button curves with the controller, and is shorter than the B as it meats with a flat board to a curved surface, then take a look at your X button it is also curved and shaped with the body meanwhile the y button you would swap it with is flat and level.

It would feel really weird to swap these buttons out.

Rather than swapping them that unless you get the kit, it would probably be more ideal to memorize the layout with use. 

Good luck!