Pre-owned PS5 will not read games/Blu-rays (DVDs work fine), disk drive may not be original

Hi all,

I recently bought a used PS5 off of Ebay. I was aware in the listing that the disk drive had been replaced after the original was not accepting disks, but the listing stated that the original had been put back into the console.

I want to reface really quickly that I am aware of the right way to put the disks in (vertical console = label of disk facing left side of console, and horizontal console = disk is put in "upside down" (label of disk facing downwards), and have tried all of the following disks with the console in both orientations, with no difference.

I also do not have any external devices plugged into the console (no accessories or external drives), which I had seen unplugging those to be a fix on some older threads i found on a few sites.

The disk drive can detect DVDs and Blu-ray movies, but not games (I only have a PS4 game to test with but that should still work, and it's not on the "PS4 only games" list (it's Bloodborne, if you were curious 😉)). The console states that "This disk isn't supported by the PS5" a few seconds after inserting the game.

The disk drive will play DVDs just fine, but will error out when launching a Blu-ray disk ("Something went wrong". Error: CE-110558-0). I couldn't find that error code online except for an old Ebay listing, so idk what it refers to.

I buy consoles marked as "for parts" since I am well acquainted with electronic repairs, so I thought I would just be able to crack into the disk drive and find some simple fix (It's amazing how often you can fix hardware issues just by reseating cables).

Upon opening up the console, fishing out the disk drive (wasn't worried about warranty as the drive had been removed previously), and reseating cables/checking solder points/cleaning lens with high % IPA (not the drinkable one ofc), it still did not want to behave.

I also went onto the Playstation support page to look for answers and tried accessing Safe Mode and selecting "Clear Cache and Rebuild Database", with no luck. Same thing for selecting "Reset PS5 (Reinstall System Software)" - no luck there either.

That's when I stumbled across the Ifixit part listing for the disk drive (I didn't see it at first when I went on the page for a guide, as it was part of the motherboard listing), where it stated that PS5 motherboards are paired to the disk drives, and games (I assume Blu-rays are part of it as well, assuming this is the issue) will not work when the disk drive is not the original, paired one.

So, I am wondering if the drive not being the original is the root cause of my issues, or if there could be something i'm missing here. If the drive not being original is the case, I'm wondering if i should try to contact the seller to get the other, paired drive just to see if i can fix that one up, assuming the seller has it still and was willing to send it to me.

TL;DR: Bought a used PS5, disk drive was replaced by seller but original "was put back in", game disks won't read but DVDs do, and the motherboard and disk drives are supposed to be paired together, but I'm not sure if that is the issue as I am not able to confirm that this is the original disk drive.

Thank you all in advance for your help 😁

How long ago did you purchase? As long as the PS5 wasn't sold "as is" I would return it. eBay has great buyer protections, so that would the be path I would take. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

5 minutes ago, Skipple said:

How long ago did you purchase?

About a week ago, so I would be within the return window still if I am not mistaken

6 minutes ago, Skipple said:

As long as the PS5 wasn't sold "as is" I would return it.

It was 😞 I bought it assuming I would be able to do some quick fix or swap on the drive, before I knew that it was gonna be more complicated than I thought. If this isn't actually the original drive (which is where i'm looking for 2 cents from people on), the listing does say that the *original* drive was put back into the console, so I could argue that the listing was not correct, however I don't want to have to be that guy. Anyways, for the price I paid for it I'd rather just keep it and use it as a digital-only console vs sending it back just to buy one new or used and fully working for more than 2x the price. I'm just trying to see if I have any other things to test before I call it quits on troubleshooting it

I believe the Blu-ray laser is borked. You can't swap entire drives, but you may be able to swap the Blu-ray laser.

6 hours ago, Mattata said:

I want to reface really quickly that I am aware of the right way to put the disks in (vertical console = label of disk facing left side of console, and horizontal console = disk is put in "upside down" (label of disk facing downwards), and have tried all of the following disks with the console in both orientations, with no difference.

Also, if you are putting discs in upside down and they are working, your PS5 is upside down. The disc drive should be on the bottom left, not top right. The label should be facing up when you insert a disc.

Return the console, do not assume the original drive is still working or can be found, get out of this trap while the return window is still valid. 

On PS4s if the drive is mismatched, the console will brick at the next update. Not sure about the PS5 but don’t risk it.