Need help with upgrading CPU and Motherboard

Hey everyone, I hope all is well.

I am upgrading my CPU and Mobo to the i5 12600K and MSI MAG B760 Tomahawk D4. This will be paired with the GTX 1070 (which will be upgraded in the future), 16GB DDR4 3600Mhz RAM and a 750W power supply. I will also need to purchase a new CPU cooler as my current one won't fit (PCPARTPICKER said so). I have three questions - should I get a liquid or air cooler for this rig, and which one? And lastly, does anyone see any issues I need to consider before purchasing the new CPU and motherboard? Cheers!

Thanks a lot

1 minute ago, ruedubs14 said:

I will also need to purchase a new CPU cooler as my current one won't fit (PCPARTPICKER said so)

What cooler is it? Usually you just need to get a replacement cooler bracket to get it to work, and that's generally a bit cheaper than replacing the cooler itself if it's decent. 

If you do need to get a new cooler, air cooling is fine, the Thermalright Peerless Assassin or one of its derivatives is generally one of the best value coolers you can find.

7 minutes ago, ruedubs14 said:

And lastly, does anyone see any issues I need to consider before purchasing the new CPU and motherboard? Cheers!

It looks fine, though unless you're reusing your RAM, I'd go for a 32GB kit and probably switch to DDR5 if possible. 16GB is usable nowadays, but barely, and if you're doing a system upgrade anyway, upgrading the RAM at the same time is a good idea. 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

What cooler is it? Usually you just need to get a replacement cooler bracket to get it to work, and that's generally a bit cheaper than replacing the cooler itself if it's decent. 

If you do need to get a new cooler, air cooling is fine, the Thermalright Peerless Assassin or one of its derivatives is generally one of the best value coolers you can find.

It looks fine, though unless you're reusing your RAM, I'd go for a 32GB kit and probably switch to DDR5 if possible. 16GB is usable nowadays, but barely, and if you're doing a system upgrade anyway, upgrading the RAM at the same time is a good idea. 

I am currently using the Corsair HydroSeries H80 120mm. It's quite old, but the issue is that PCPartpicker said it isn't compatible with the new motherboard. Would a bracket be enough for it?

I will be buying an extra 16GB RAM in the future when I get a new GPU too. I will be sticking to DDR4 for now though.

Thanks for your reply!

2 minutes ago, ruedubs14 said:

Would a bracket be enough for it?

Yes, though it's old enough that you might not be able to find a bracket for it. It's also old enough that the pump would probably die at any minute, so swapping it out is probably a good idea.

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Yes, though it's old enough that you might not be able to find a bracket for it. It's also old enough that the pump would probably die at any minute, so swapping it out is probably a good idea.

Yeah that's true lol. thanks a lot for your help mate, appreciate it!