Red CPU Light on B650 AORUS ELITE AX

Hey guys, so this is my first ever pc build and I'm not really done yet but I'm so scared that I might've done something wrong or I have to pay more money for new parts. I have a LANCOOL 216 case and the B650 AORUS ELITE AX motherboard. I basically put on everything. Motherboard, CPU, CPU Cooler, most of the power cables, memory, storage. I just need to put in my video cards and in remaining cables connecting the pc case to the motherboard which is super confusing for me as well as the power cables to remaining things. I recently just wanted to see if everything was working out fine but when I tried turning it on, I heard a click sound from the power supply. I held the power button on the case and the power supply kept making a clicking sound and then it flashed red. I was scared shitless that I broke something (and still am). I unscrewed the CPU cooler( which is fan cooled btw) and then checked the CPU to see if I put it on right and it looked fine. I screwed everything back in and I was still getting the same results.

I have concluded that maybe I broke something, it's because I haven't put in the video card, the thermal paste I put on got on the green part of the cpy, or I'm just stupid.

Full specs of your build and maybe some picture of everything plugged in would be very helpful if you could. 

If the PSU is clicking it sounds like something is tripping it and preventing it from turning on and its doing an auto shutoff. I wouldn't try turning it on anymore. 

With the Red CPU light one thing I would try it reseating the CPU. Buddy of mine had that same problem a few months ago when building his first pc. Also try with only one RAM stick, and try jumping the on switch manually instead of using the power button on the case. 

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

6 minutes ago, Ophidio said:

Full specs of your build and maybe some picture of everything plugged in would be very helpful if you could. 

If the PSU is clicking it sounds like something is tripping it and preventing it from turning on and its doing an auto shutoff. I wouldn't try turning it on anymore. 

With the Red CPU light one thing I would try it reseating the CPU. Buddy of mine had that same problem a few months ago when building his first pc. Also try with only one RAM stick, and try jumping the on switch manually instead of using the power button on the case. 

Specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NNq8bL

Here's an image; haven't put in a video card, power supply is only connected to the 24 pin and the 8 pin as well as the 4 pin on the top left. I also haven't finished putting in some of the case cables to the motherboard cables. 

IMG_3572.HEIC

I just wanted to add I also tried to reseat the CPU a few days ago, it was a bit loose but I saw no apparent issues. When I screwed everything back in it still gave a red flashing sign. 

OMG DUDE I JUST TOOK OUT ONE RAM STICK AND TRIED PRESSING THE START BUTTON (which did absolutely nothing I think) AND THEN I PRESSED THE ON BUTTON ON THE CASE AND IT'S WORKING

3 minutes ago, Leoknowstheway said:

Specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NNq8bL

Here's an image; haven't put in a video card, power supply is only connected to the 24 pin and the 8 pin as well as the 4 pin on the top left. I also haven't finished putting in some of the case cables to the motherboard cables. 

IMG_3572.HEIC 1.93 MB · 1 download

From what I can see in that picture, if it's something you just took, the far right RAM stick is not pushed in all the way. You can tell by the clip at the top being pushed out a bit. Make sure both sticks are seated completely. Other than I see no issues. Only are thing is make sure all the power cables are pushed in all the way, the CPU power in the top can be a problem sometimes in getting it in all the way. If it's a modular power supply make sure all cables are pushed into the power supply all the way. Plug a display into the motherboard and try bridging the two pins for power on the motherboard together. 

Ryzen can take a bit to actually boot into a BIOS I've seen it take anywhere from 2 - 15 minutes to fully boot. 

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

OMG DUDE I JUST TOOK OUT ONE RAM STICK AND TRIED PRESSING THE START BUTTON (which did absolutely nothing I think) AND THEN I PRESSED THE ON BUTTON ON THE CASE AND IT'S WORKING

If it was the far right stick then it would make sense. In the picture it wasn't seated all the way so make sure you push it in completely and try both again. Poor connection will cause the CPU light to come on because the CPU is having issue communicating with the RAM.

1 minute ago, Ophidio said:

From what I can see in that picture, if it's something you just took, the far right RAM stick is not pushed in all the way. You can tell by the clip at the top being pushed out a bit. Make sure both sticks are seated completely. Other than I see no issues. Only are thing is make sure all the power cables are pushed in all the way, the CPU power in the top can be a problem sometimes in getting it in all the way. If it's a modular power supply make sure all cables are pushed into the power supply all the way. Plug a display into the motherboard and try bridging the two pins for power on the motherboard together. 

Ryzen can take a bit to actually boot into a BIOS I've seen it take anywhere from 2 - 15 minutes to fully boot. 

I think it's the one on the left because the ram stick on the right is lighting up but the ram stick on the left isn't. I think it's because I just took it out, but I'll try to put it inside a different slot and see what happens. 

I think it's the one on the left because the ram stick on the right is lighting up but the ram stick on the left isn't. I think it's because I just took it out, but I'll try to put it inside a different slot and see what happens. 

Just make sure the RAM have a slot in between them. You had them in the correct slots. Could try swapping them around too. 

2 minutes ago, Ophidio said:

Just make sure the RAM have a slot in between them. You had them in the correct slots. Could try swapping them around too. 

Ok I will. Thank you so much for your help!

Parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NNq8bL

So I've been building my PC and I finally got it to turn on but when I turn it on, it has a red light on DRAM. I've tried changing slots but I don't think it works. I don't have different RAM sticks to try it on so I don't know if it's a DRAM issue. I've tried reseating my CPU (just moved it around a bit) for when my CPU light was blinking red but that didn't seem to be the issue.

I just want to point out that I have not put in the video card as well as a few cables connecting the MOBO to the case. Let me know if those are the issues.

IMG_3574.HEIC

Try putting the video card in and using only 1 stick of ram in the farthest slot from the CPU

5 minutes ago, NikolakiH said:

Try putting the video card in and using only 1 stick of ram in the farthest slot from the CPU

Do you suggest that I put in the video card first then cables or should I fix the cables first and then video card. If you say cables first, it might take me like a week because I'm an idiot and the cables are kinda hard for me for some reason 

Since you have a 7800X3D and B650 motherboard, you'll need to update the BIOS in order to support the CPU. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

28 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Since you have a 7800X3D and B650 motherboard, you'll need to update the BIOS in order to support the CPU. 

I haven't started connecting the pc to the monitor though so what should I do?

1 minute ago, Leoknowstheway said:

Your computer has Q-Flash BIOS Flashback so you can flash the BIOS without the CPU/memory/video card installed. Follow the guide and you should be good to go.

https://www.gigabyte.com/FileUpload/Global/WebPage/20/images/utiltiy_qflash_uefi.pdf

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

You don't need to , Go to the Gigabyte website and use Q flash.

Google will tell you the rest.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

I am surprised no one has said this yet, but red is bad unless its steak.

I would moooove over and grab the latest bios, pucker up and hope for the best.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

1 hour ago, freeagent said:

I am surprised no one has said this yet, but red is bad unless its steak.

I would moooove over and grab the latest bios, pucker up and hope for the best.

You are scaring me dude. Can u please explain this to me like I'm a little kid? What is a bios and please go more into detail. 

1 hour ago, CommanderAlex said:

Your computer has Q-Flash BIOS Flashback so you can flash the BIOS without the CPU/memory/video card installed. Follow the guide and you should be good to go.

https://www.gigabyte.com/FileUpload/Global/WebPage/20/images/utiltiy_qflash_uefi.pdf

Ok yea, so I just connected all the cables to my monitor. And I'm getting HDMI-1 Input not found. I'm pretty damn sure I connected all the necessary cables (DP, HDMI, the power) so I guess I have a separate problem? I also want to put as a disclaimer I have not put in a video card and a few cables.

17 hours ago, Leoknowstheway said:

Ok yea, so I just connected all the cables to my monitor. And I'm getting HDMI-1 Input not found. I'm pretty damn sure I connected all the necessary cables (DP, HDMI, the power) so I guess I have a separate problem? I also want to put as a disclaimer I have not put in a video card and a few cables.

That's perfectly fine since you have the iGPU from the 7800X3D. You won't be able to see anything and it'll be based off LED lights that, depending on if their flashing, solid, etc, will signify if the BIOS flash was completed or is still in progress. 

Ok so I recently (basically) finished my PC build and at first the monitor didn't work but then a few hours later. I don't know if I did something or if I just waited but the DisplayPort finally turned on. During this time btw, I hadn't put in my graphics card, that's why there was a red VGA. However I found out that I technically don't need a GPU atm since my cpu had its own built in GPU. I tried to install windows but I had a meeting from 6:30-8 so I turned off the PSU. Turning it back on and putting in the video card with the 2 PCI-E cables, I still got a red light and now my display port isn't showing. Any solutions? 

Parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NNq8bL

The red VGA wasn't because you were missing the graphics card. It means that the motherboard failed to turn on whatever GPU it could find, whether that be an integrated one or a full-sized version. I'd check to make sure your CPU is installed properly and no pins are bent. Also, check for any motherboard damage like surface components missing.

I hope your BIOS is still working.

I try to be respectful. If I ever come off in a different manner, I probably don't mean to. If I don't help you sorry, if I do, mark my comment as the solution. 

36 minutes ago, Wardus said:

The red VGA wasn't because you were missing the graphics card. It means that the motherboard failed to turn on whatever GPU it could find, whether that be an integrated one or a full-sized version. I'd check to make sure your CPU is installed properly and no pins are bent. Also, check for any motherboard damage like surface components missing.

I will reseat the CPU right now, I had an issue not too long ago with a red cpu light and I tried reseating the CPU but it did nothing. However, I'll still try to reseat the CPU and if that doesn't work. Then I'll probably take a few pictures of my MOBO and make another forum post to see if that may be the issue. 

51 minutes ago, Wardus said:

IMG_3580.HEIC Does this look fine?