Is my GPU dying or its already dead?

vaibhavchanana

What exactly happened-

I played witcher 3 after my college for 10-15 minutes then watched Youtube then turned the pc off and slept 

Next morning I turned on my pc it took a little too long to post and when it posted i had flickering white lines all over the monitor then windows started same issue the graphics driver couldn't recognize the GPU and the resolution was 1024x768 nvidia control panel was gone and the white lines stay

Already tried reinstalling the drivers and tried to reinstall the GPU as well Used my old GT210 the pc worked just fine no flickering white lines 

I tried to reinstall the GPU in the second PCI express slot but same results white lines 

One strange thing i noticed in GPUZ the graphics card is recognized correctly BUT the VRAM is showing 0MB 

I looked at some videos from northwestrepair on youtube I think the vram failed. 

Screenshots attached 

Is there any solution?

20231228_175930.jpg

Ouch, that definitely seems like dead VRAM. If the GPU does this in the BIOS as well as Windows, unfortunately it's quite dead and there is little you can do other than taking it to a repair shop.

Resell and replace

Repair fee is likely not worth saving that old gtx 960, luckily you can buy used polaris rx 570/580 4gb and 8gb for peanuts these days, about the same performance as a 1060 once overclocked so cheap upgrade (~40$ for a 4gb and ~50$ for an 8gb depending on country)

If youd like a more substantial upgrade or polaris gpus are overpriced for whatever reason look for used 5700(xt), 6600(xt), 1070(ti), 1080(ti), 2060s, 2070s, etc. Youll just have to browse around on your local used market to see what offers best price to performance