Is 3600mhz to much for a ryzen 7 5800x3d?

So, I got a 5800x3d recently and realized that online it only supports ram speeds up to 3200mhz, so does having higher ram speeds can this cause things such as bad frame times or stuttering? should I get a 3200mhz kit instead?

3200 is the officially supported speed. If you have a problem at 3200 or lower, AMD may help you. If you use 3600 you're on your own. Chances are it'll work, as AMD themselves stated it was the sweet spot for Zen 3. Basically if there is no major price difference I'd go 3600. Worst case you might have to run it a little slower. While the cache of the X3D helps there will be times you need to get data from ram, so more speed there can still help.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, porina said:

3200 is the officially supported speed. If you have a problem at 3200 or lower, AMD may help you. If you use 3600 you're on your own. Chances are it'll work, as AMD themselves stated it was the sweet spot for Zen 3. Basically if there is no major price difference I'd go 3600. Worst case you might have to run it a little slower. While the cache of the X3D helps there will be times you need to get data from ram, so more speed there can still help.

Right not I currently have this https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-2x16GB-PC4-28800-Optimized/dp/B082DGZJ9C/ref=sr_1_6?crid=37TJKXA3HJA7S&keywords=3600%2B32gb&qid=1703771528&sprefix=3600%2B32gb%2Caps%2C82&sr=8-6&th=1

My only question is regarding what you said "it might run slower" what does this mean when gaming? bad frame times? or stuttering occasionally? 

7 minutes ago, O_Bsnacks said:

Right not I currently have this https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-2x16GB-PC4-28800-Optimized/dp/B082DGZJ9C/ref=sr_1_6?crid=37TJKXA3HJA7S&keywords=3600%2B32gb&qid=1703771528&sprefix=3600%2B32gb%2Caps%2C82&sr=8-6&th=1

My only question is regarding what you said "it might run slower" what does this mean when gaming? bad frame times? or stuttering occasionally? 

All @porina is saying is that, on the off chance that you can't make the kit run at DDR4-3600 speed, you may need to manually turn it down in the BIOS to DDR4-3466 or DDR4-3333 or DDR4-3200 to make it stable with the 5800X3D.

One of the advantages of the X3D chips is that, when paired with slower RAM, they are less likely to have frame time issues, because they don't need to access the RAM as often. So the performance and frame time hit compared to a non-3D chip will actually be less.

However, it's very likely that the DDR4-3600 kit will run just fine at that speed. I wouldn't hesitate to try to use DDR4-3600 with a Zen 3 chip.

2 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

All @porina is saying is that, on the off chance that you can't make the kit run at DDR4-3600 speed, you may need to manually turn it down in the BIOS to DDR4-3466 or DDR4-3333 or DDR4-3200 to make it stable with the 5800X3D.

One of the advantages of the X3D chips is that, when paired with slower RAM, they are less likely to have frame time issues, because they don't need to access the RAM as often. So the performance and frame time hit compared to a non-3D chip will actually be less.

However, it's very likely that the DDR4-3600 kit will run just fine at that speed. I wouldn't hesitate to try to use DDR4-3600 with a Zen 3 chip.

But what are some things to look for to see if it is stable?

14 minutes ago, O_Bsnacks said:

For 5800X3D slower ram doesn't mean much because the extra cache act's as a crazy fast buffer, after benchmarks i've found little to no difference between 3000 to 3600, its measurable but not really noticeable in real world use, ram speed means alot for non X3D but next to nothing for these chips with lots of cache 

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

Just now, O_Bsnacks said:

RAM instability can cause BSODs, application crashes, and other system oddities like that. If you want to test it, the recommended stability tests are to run Prime95 and OCCT. Which aren't bad things to run generally to test cooler performance and system stability as well.

2 minutes ago, O_Bsnacks said:

Pretty much it works or it doesn't. If you don't get unexplained crashes it is fine. About the only edge case is if it is borderline stable you might get occasional crashes. If it doesn't happen, it is fine.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Firstly you can run Ryzen Dram calculator and run the mem test, or you can run memtest86, for a period of time to check for errors, if you get lots of errors its very unstable, then you can run cpu intensive benchmarks that max the cores out and look for bad behavior or crashes, after that if everything looks good just use the machine and it should be fine but keep an eye for bad behavior, long lags/system hang, patterns of crashes etc..

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

4 minutes ago, Ripred said:

For 5800X3D slower ram doesn't mean much because the extra cache act's as a crazy fast buffer, after benchmarks i've found little to no difference between 3000 to 3600, its measurable but not really noticeable in real world use, ram speed means alot for non X3D but next to nothing for these chips with lots of cache 

RAM instability can cause BSODs, application crashes, and other system oddities like that. If you want to test it, the recommended stability tests are to run Prime95 and OCCT. Which aren't bad things to run generally to test cooler performance and system stability as well.

1 minute ago, porina said:

Pretty much it works or it doesn't. If you don't get unexplained crashes it is fine. About the only edge case is if it is borderline stable you might get occasional crashes. If it doesn't happen, it is fine.

Ok, so right now I am still in the return window to return the ram I have and get a 3200mhz kit, but if you guys do not think it is worth wasting the time to return it and wait to get a new kit then I wont do it. Because my system has never had any BSODs or any shut downs of any sorts, I just get occasional stutter when loading into to games and sometimes the 1% lows are not the best but overall its good. 

1 minute ago, O_Bsnacks said:

Ok, so right now I am still in the return window to return the ram I have and get a 3200mhz kit, but if you guys do not think it is worth wasting the time to return it and wait to get a new kit then I wont do it. Because my system has never had any BSODs or any shut downs of any sorts, I just get occasional stutter when loading into to games and sometimes the 1% lows are not the best but overall its good. 

The RAM speed is unlikely to be the cause of that.

Here are some things I would consider:

1. Did you do a fresh install of Windows when you built the computer? If you moved the drive from a previous system, especially an Intel system, it is highly recommended to do a fresh install - moving a drive from Intel to Ryzen has been shown to cause problems with frametime performance in games.

2. Are your drivers and BIOS up to date? Make sure you are running the latest drivers for your graphics card, your motherboard chipset, and that your BIOS is up to date. If you upgraded to the X3D without updating your motherboard chipset drivers, that could cause performance issues if the chipset driver is older than the 5800X3D.

3. Are your games running off an SSD or a hard drive? Because of how slow the latency is on hard drive access time, and how slow the read performance is compared to an SSD, it can cause hitching in games when assets need to be pulled from the HDD. Putting the game on an SSD can improve this significantly depending on the game.

Id keep them, little stutters can happen even if you had all the highest tier stuff, sometimes its not the hardware, its the game...unfortunately, if your not blue screening, or games crashing regularly its fine, and even if it was you can either bump down the ram frequency to the next lower xmp profile or highlight and bump up the dram voltage one or two clicks, wont hurt it

The RAM speed is unlikely to be the cause of that.

Here are some things I would consider:

1. Did you do a fresh install of Windows when you built the computer? If you moved the drive from a previous system, especially an Intel system, it is highly recommended to do a fresh install - moving a drive from Intel to Ryzen has been shown to cause problems with frametime performance in games.

2. Are your drivers and BIOS up to date? Make sure you are running the latest drivers for your graphics card, your motherboard chipset, and that your BIOS is up to date. If you upgraded to the X3D without updating your motherboard chipset drivers, that could cause performance issues if the chipset driver is older than the 5800X3D.

3. Are your games running off an SSD or a hard drive? Because of how slow the latency is on hard drive access time, and how slow the read performance is compared to an SSD, it can cause hitching in games when assets need to be pulled from the HDD. Putting the game on an SSD can improve this significantly depending on the game.

I fresh installed windows, the bios is up to date and when you say update the motherboards chipset drivers do you mean downloading the chipset drivers from amd? and all my games are running off a 2tb m.2.

Just now, O_Bsnacks said:

I fresh installed windows, the bios is up to date and when you say update the motherboards chipset drivers do you mean downloading the chipset drivers from amd? and all my games are running off a 2tb m.2.

Yes, you should be able to get the latest chipset drivers from this website: https://www.amd.com/en/support

Yes, you should be able to get the latest chipset drivers from this website: https://www.amd.com/en/support

Then yes I have done this, but the stutters only seem to happen when I first load into the game after that everything smooths out. 

16 minutes ago, O_Bsnacks said:

Then yes I have done this, but the stutters only seem to happen when I first load into the game after that everything smooths out. 

Depending on the game, that can be totally normal. For example, Fortnite is notorious for that happening.

1 minute ago, YoungBlade said:

Depending on the game, that can be totally normal. For example, Fortnite is notorious for that happening.

I thought so but my main problem is that when my fps fluctuates, for example in fortnite my frames normally cap at 360 no vsync or anything when the fps goes down to 330 it just feels choppy, like it doesnt stutter it just feels like microstutters. I know with normal stutter the game freezes for like 1s or so but no freezing occurs, and this happens in every game.