Remember Flashcarts for old nintendo handhelds? One is being released for the nintendo switch

Lightning

Summary

Back in the old days, "flashcarts", notably the Acekard and Ezflash, were types of cartridges that go into your nintendo handheld with games preloaded, and they would play with no issues. It was a fantastic device for piracy. Since the DS days, there has not been one for development for any of the newer nintendo consoles....Until now.

The MiG switch, which utilizes a microSD card to load games on it, could be placed on ANY switch console on ANY firmware. Proof of video evidence showing it working in the news article.

Quotes

It appears that a device called Mig Switch is the first flashcart for Nintendo's best-selling console. The creators say that the Mig Switch is compatible with all Switch models, including the newer Switch OLED. It comes with a dumper and the flashcart casing, but an SD card is not included.

"Mig-Switch is the only back-up & development device for ALL Nintendo Switch consoles, regardless of their version, firmware, type (regular or Lite) that does not require any installation or modification of the console. Simply plug & play!" the product's website reads.

My thoughts

Will LTT be obtaining one and testing it out? How will nintendo fight back? The device is made in Russia.

Sources

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/95196/switch-flashcart-is-called-mig-nintendo-may-not-be-able-to-block-with-firmware-update/index.html

The article doesn't seem to exist anymore... for what it's worth here's the "official" website of the thing itself https://migswitch.com/#/

It might be some time before it's actually available for purchase to regular people:

We are now accepting distributors pre-orders for MigSwitch products. Please email us if you are interest for more information. Deliveries will start in January 2024 first in limited quantities with full availability expected for March or April 2024. With the high demands we are receiving, please bear with us until we can complete all pre-orders so you can receive your Mig-Switch unit. IMPORTANT NOTE: We do NOT sell retail (to end users). Please contact a distributor near you for private purchase.

Either way if it works it's a welcome addition, now even people who have the newer versions and the lite will be able to run homebrew (and backup their stuff) without difficult physical mods. I don't know if I'll be getting one since the "normal" method works on my 2017 refurb. Probably not a good idea to use it online but I guess if your original cart of mario kart breaks it's better to play it offline than not at all.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Modern Vintage Gamer warns against it (well sort of, I mean he does make videos about modded consoles and security). If Nintendo comes up with a detection it's very likely to get a console banned.

Gary Bowser's name is also popping up here as well.

Athan is pronounced like Nathan without the N. <3

Unless there's zero way for Nintendo to patch this out, it is likely to get your switch banned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro