RTX Super cards: Put your speculations/expectations here

1sascha

Personally, I'm already thinking about upgrading my 4070 for VR-purposes. Thank God that Baldur's Gate 3 has been hogging all my gaming-time these past two months or so or I might have considered an upgrade sooner and before the Supers were announced. I don't expect these new cards to be world-changing, but at least they *might* give us more options and, perhaps, better value for money (though I doubt the latter, since we're talking NVidia here). And seeing how my 4070 performs in VR, the Ti's level of performance is what I would ideally need - so the 4070 Super might *just* be enough for my needs. But only if the price is right.

Anyway: Looking at the leaked/rumored specs:

image.thumb.png.1f82361fc1dec4320637bfd0ea9100e3.png

(source: Videocardz.com)

... I can't help but wonder what will happen with the "4070-and-above"-product range.

Should the post-Super-launch line-up look like in the screenshot, why would I still bother with the 4070 Ti? Same amount and type of VRAM, only ~500 additional CUDA cores over the 4070 Super and, probably $100 more expensive than the Super. Assuming they would do the obvious and set the price for the Super right between the $599 and $799 for the 4070 and 4070 Ti. Same could probably be said about the 4080 and 4080 Super, since there too we're only talking about ~500 additional cores, which should make even less of a difference because of the larger overall number of cores compared to the 4070 Super/4070 Ti.

So what do you guys think? Will the Super-launch also result in overhauled versions of the original cards? Or will the 4070 Ti be dropped? Will there be a general shake-up here WRT prices? Like dropping the regular 4080 below $1000 (as has been rumored)? Will the Super cards become the new go-to cards and make the OG 4070 to 4080 cards redundant?

In some ways, it seems to go against common sense, but I very much doubt they'll drop any of the old cards (or give them a significant boost in performance).

The gap between the 4070 and the 4070 Ti has been so large, IMO, that dropping another card in there is an obvious move - and if you improved the base 4070 for example, you'd make the 4070 Super less tempting.

They also seem to be serious about wanting to use the silly "Ti Super"-moniker, since I have seen officially looking renders/artwork from board-partners showing exactly that name - so replacing the Ti with the Ti Super (and calling it a Ti) also probably won't happen. Even though they did "unlaunch" and cancel the "4080 12GB" and turned it into the 4070 Ti *very* shortly before its intended launch, so... who knows?

S.

I don't expect too much from the Super Versions: 

1. The Performance will be marginally better than the original 4000 Series. I don't think that an upgrade from the original 4000 Series to the Super-Series will bring a noticeable increase in Performance. 

2. Nvidia will not go down with the pricing because they are still selling their cards with the current pricing and they still have an advantage in RT and other stuff. I admit that this is a more subjective point, but for me, seeing CP2077 with Path Tracing "ruined" me and forces me to stay on Nvidia until AMD gets on the same level as Nvidia in this area. 

the issue with SUPER is that if we look at 20 series, some cards saw uplift while others would basically see almost 0 improvement at least one that's noticeable: (but we'll see, it's not like 20 series overall got smoked by 30 series with price/performance.. oh wait they did.)

image.png.df718bf329b0eb80bae7b0b6de8ec7cc.png

Edited by podkall
edit

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti